StromTrooper banner
21 - 40 of 77 Posts
There was a BMW rally in John Day this summer, great riding around there. Years ago I crossed Washington skimming the south side of Rainier, richlandrick's ride #5 sounds pretty epic.

There was a BMW rally in John Day this summer, great riding around there. Years ago I crossed Washington skimming the south side of Rainier, richlandrick's ride #5 sounds pretty epic.
Why yes. Yes it is.

Highway 12 across Idaho into WA, and Highway 36 in CA, and the Tail of the dragon may have a lot of curves, but this ride IS EPIC.

Just an example of one of the views. You come around a corner and there is Mt Rainier standing 14,000 feet in air so clear you feel like it is right in front of you. Mt Hood can be seen from about 75 miles way. And poor old St Helens. Some off pavement to get to old west ghost towns and eat the blue bird Cafe (circa mid to late 1800s).

Pic to come.

You also get to see where telephone poles come from. The trees there are TALL.

Four volcanos ride

I'd love to see this route:wink 2:
Hope to be out this way next summer

BMW rally almost every year in John Day, Chief Joseph Rally. If you check the BMW MOA site you'll find a list of the rallies. I've taken my non BMW's to the rallies quite a bit.
Most of the rallies are a good time. some have great door prizes. I've won an Aerostich suit twice, you might get lucky too. They are not over crowded event either. 100 to a few thousand participants at most. The big number is at the National rallies. It moves from state to state every year. East-West, North-South so all regions get a whack at it. BMW RA puts on rallies too.

I'm gonna pitch north of the border. It's cheaper for you 'muricans and us Canucks.

I even have an idea for a location; TOAD ROCK MOTORCYCLE CAMPGROUND

I'd bet if you talked to Mary at Toad Rock you could arrange something. There are lots of good rides in every direction from there.

They have camp spots, tents, some shacks, and even some converted vehicles for camping in. The place is awesomely different.

Do it in Late June or into July.

With that you could announce the dates, give contact info to book camp spots etc., and They have a great Social Pavilion for the evenings that I promise will provide a first night most never forget

Discussion starter · #28 ·
I'm gonna pitch north of the border. It's cheaper for you 'muricans and us Canucks.

I even have an idea for a location; TOAD ROCK MOTORCYCLE CAMPGROUND
Thanks for pointing Toad Rock out to me. That looks like a neat place.

I agree with you, Jay, except for the point mentioned by someone else earlier - lots of our friends south of the border don't have passports or e-licences. Although we could alternate...

@richlandrick, I'd be glad of your leadership on group rides.

Now I"m worried this is actually starting to become more than just a "So I was thinking..." moment.

Reactions: richlandrick
Yea, you past casual notion several posts back.

I don't want to "diss" anyone's idea for a location, but have to agree with the idea that many more Canadians have passports than US citizens.

Regarding gravel and off pavement. The ghost towns I mentioned are reached off pavement. Also, Raven's Roost is located close to one of the most epic rides, is off pavement, and provides a spectacular view of MT Ranier. It is in the Little Naches area. There are also off pavement stretches that connect the major passes. Nearly every mountain road is next to a beautiful river.

Anyone approaching from B.C. should consider rolling through Leavenworth long US Highway 2. I have never seen a more beautiful stretch of rolling river. Stop and check out the land locked salmon in the still waters and the 59-er diner.

How about Tuk? V-Strom convoy north.

Actually, my first thought was Winthrop area. Cascade Loop. Olympic Peninsula is also fabulous riding.

Dunno if I'd be available though. Depends on dates. But if the stars were to align, I'd be in.

Pass ports are bad things. We are taught that everyone to the South is a rapist and drug pushing fiend. People who reside on the Group W bench. Those to the North are just trying to take advantage of us, But do pipeline your oil to us. So evil. Best we stay below the 49th parallel and above the Rio Grande river.
That Lodge place is reminiscent of Grand Jean in Idaho. River with hot springs and piney woods.

Well that's silly. You Americans need to get your passports in order.

The Kootenays are an awesome area and so is Toad Rock.
We don't have quite as much need to go to Mexico in the winter as those who live in the great white north.

I have to say that I think there is some fantastic riding and scenery in Canada though. My wife and I thoroughly enjoyed are dual sport ride through B.C. And the Canadian Glacial Park looks epic.

I would suggest though that gatherings need more than just a fantastic destination to be successful. They also need to be within reach of the masses. It one of the reasons the eastern gathering has been so successful. While it is in a remote location, it is located close to the demographic center of the largest part of the US population. https://www.google.com/maps/place/U...x1c3bb99243deb742!8m2!3d37.09024!4d-95.712891

Personally I have a passport and both my wife and I would welcome an epic trip to Canada or just about anywhere that provides for a pleasant memorable trip. I would really love to see another gathering as successful as the "North American Rally" that was held in South Dakota. About 250 attendees as I recall.

Discussion starter · #35 ·
People who reside on the Group W bench.
Hey. We're just sittin' here on the Group W bench, playin' with our pencils and smokin' cigarettes. Some of us, true, are bad guys. Mother rapers. Father killers. Father rapers. But some of us are only there for littering, fined $50, and told to pick up the garbage... and for causing a public disturbance.

By the way, @richlandrick - your ad in your signature looks awesome in the new format, especially in dark mode.

Toad Rock Motor Cycle campground is a great spot. https://www.toadrockcampground.com/about-toad-rock/ Lots of twisty roads close by and Ainsworth Hot Springs is 5 minutes away. https://www.ainsworthhotsprings.com/our-water/ There are a lot of off road adventures to be had. Like Grey Creek Pass https://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/canada/4100-grey-creek-pass.html http://www.soundrider.com/archive/rides/gray_creek_pass.aspx Toad Rock has been hosting adventure riding courses every year also. Another spot to consider is Nakusp. They host a number of rallys each year and are experienced at it.https://www.horizonsunlimited.com/events/canwest-2020 https://beeceebeemers.com/index.php/event/the-19th-annual-hot-springs-rally-in-nakusp/ There is a large Municipal campground and other motels and campgrounds close by. Nakusp Hot springs is 15 minutes away. Halfway hotsprings is a free rustic spring 12km up a logging road or Halcyon is a full on resort. Local rides in the Koots https://www.nelsonkootenaylake.com/explore/recreation/motorcycling https://www.bestbikingroads.com/motorcycle-roads/canada/british-columbia/ride/31a-new-denver-kaslo

Discussion starter · #37 ·
I'm starting to think seriously about organizing something. I'm betting I can rely on advice from @richlandrick, but if there is anyone else that would like to help organize (preferably an American friend as they can provide that experience...), we can start looking at some things. I'm thinking July 16-19 should be the dates, but I'm open to input. Those dates don't clash with Touratech and the American / Canadian holidays.

Once that is set we can look at venues. I stayed a week at Mt. St. Helen's last year, and can confirm that the riding in that area is spectacular. I also didn't get anywhere near the cool riding done that could be done. I agree that the Toad Rock campground looks great, and Nakusp was on my list as well due partly to HU, and partly to them hosting tons of motorcycling stuff in the area.

I just informed my bride-to-be about my offhanded suggestion and the subsequent positive reaction. She just kissed me on the cheek, so I have the blessing. All it will cost anyone is the penance of having to put up with me on some easy dirt roads while I get my dirty feet wet - despite taking courses, I've been terrible at getting practice.

So. Any volunteers?

Reactions: richlandrick
Hey. We're just sittin' here on the Group W bench, playin' with our pencils and smokin' cigarettes. Some of us, true, are bad guys. Mother rapers. Father killers. Father rapers. But some of us are only there for littering, fined $50, and told to pick up the garbage... and for causing a public disturbance.

By the way, @richlandrick - your ad in your signature looks awesome in the new format, especially in dark mode.

Kewl! Now if they would only put up the one I pay for. Got to pay the lectricity bill.

The third largest fly-in in the North America is the week 14 to 16 July 2020 at Arlington WA. Coincidence? Maybe.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
Kewl! Now if they would only put up the one I pay for. Got to pay the lectricity bill.

The third largest fly-in in the North America is the week 14 to 16 July 2020 at Arlington WA. Coincidence? Maybe.
Not sure what you mean by a fly in - aka a fly-in rally? Which one? Strommers there?

Not sure what you mean by a fly in - aka a fly-in rally? Which one? Strommers there?
Coincidence that the Arlington Fly-in (aircraft), one of the biggest in the world, third largest in the USA is that week end also. Conveniently loacted within striking distance of a western V-Strom gathering. So Strommers interested in aircraft will have two reasons to go.

21 - 40 of 77 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.