StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is cross-posted in the NW and the Canadian forum.

I see that the Eastern Troopers V-Strom Rally is set for 2020, for nigh on its 20th year. It lead me to thinking that this is something that might do well out west. Sure, we have Touratech, but that's "hey, wow, another V-Strom!". What about the idea of a Western one in BC / WA / ID / AB / OR? I can think of one or two great locations to ride where there are some motorcycle friendly camping / hotel sites, and I'm sure others can chime in.

Would there be interest? Ironically, I might not be able to do it this year (natch!) as I'm blowing my holidays on my wedding and honeymoon (riding motorbikes in Ireland!). But I'm just gauging interest. Anyone? Can we get 20 of us together?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, @dravnx, you're saying I'm completely unoriginal! :)

Still... any interest? California, eh?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Seattle based so have territorial bias, but the Olympic Peninsula is heaven for moto camping and has maybe a thousand miles of Forest Service roads that are ride-able for most skill levels. It is convenient to Western BC troopers as well.
And Vancouver Island offers about the same (sans all the National campgrounds of the Olympic) with fabulous small towns on the rugged west side.
A venue focus would probably draw a crowd and these two are really varied and fun.
The old fisherman in me has learned that persistence pays off when the lure is right.
I would sign up for either of these venues!

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Seattle based so have territorial bias, but the Olympic Peninsula is heaven for moto camping and has maybe a thousand miles of Forest Service roads that are ride-able for most skill levels. It is convenient to Western BC troopers as well.
And Vancouver Island offers about the same (sans all the National campgrounds of the Olympic) with fabulous small towns on the rugged west side.
A venue focus would probably draw a crowd and these two are really varied and fun.
The old fisherman in me has learned that persistence pays off when the lure is right.
I would sign up for either of these venues!
Olympic Peninsula is a great idea, as is the island, as is Cranbrook / Crow's Nest area.

I'm up for anywhere within easy riding distance.

·
Registered
14,482 Posts
"I'm up for anywhere within easy riding distance."

Just list the closest KOA to your house so you can go home for lunch.
I understand the wanting to not use up all you vacation for something as frivolous as a Strom camp out but the ride to and from is what makes the rally worthwhile. Fine for the PNW folks to have it in Washington or on Victoria Is. But that's a 1000 mile run for me. But then it's close to that for me to go to the several Cache rallies I've attended. Most of which the go home was one day affair.
Get on the bikes and ride!

·
Premium Member
879 Posts
So, @dravnx, you're saying I'm completely unoriginal! :)

Still... any interest? California, eh?
There was also a Western gathering in Ventura, Ca in 2013. I attended both. As a matter of fact, I was one of the organizers for the Fortuna gathering.

·
Premium Member
879 Posts

·
Vendor
4,917 Posts
I responded in the other thread.

Dates are important in the PNW. Needs to be when it is not completely overcast and raining. I made the mistake of moving the western gathering at The Dalles a month to early and most of the scenery was not visible due to clouds and heavy rain. Had a very cold and wet ride through the what would have been the beautiful WA passes.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"I'm up for anywhere within easy riding distance."

Just list the closest KOA to your house so you can go home for lunch.
I understand the wanting to not use up all you vacation for something as frivolous as a Strom camp out but the ride to and from is what makes the rally worthwhile. Fine for the PNW folks to have it in Washington or on Victoria Is. But that's a 1000 mile run for me. But then it's close to that for me to go to the several Cache rallies I've attended. Most of which the go home was one day affair.
Get on the bikes and ride!
That wasn't my point, actually. It was an issue only for *this year*. My wedding and honeymoon riding motorbikes in Ireland will eat up my holidays this year. Any other year, and I'm so in. And Vancouver Island is a glorious destination for many. Plus, my closest KOA is about a 6 hour ride... :)

I can still make it this year - change my plans for my week long camping trip to go to the Strom Rally. But if it was close I could do both. :)

I completely agree that it's organizer dependent as far as location goes. (Hint!)

There was also a Western gathering in Ventura, Ca in 2013. I attended both. As a matter of fact, I was one of the organizers for the Fortuna gathering.
Interested in being voluntold to help, since you have experience? :)

·
Registered
14,482 Posts
Congrats on the wedding and Moto trip in Ireland.
We were so poor when we got married 48 years ago our honeymoon was at the Potrero Grande Dump cleaning out the house for a possible move.
Change of plans and we are still in the same house. We did do some moto touring. The wife made an awesome sidecar monkey. Motor on!

Speaking of dealer sponsored rallies, the Suzuki dealer in Lake Havasu put on a rally a couple times. Not huge attendance but a really pleasant time. Then he sold out and no mo rally. Phooey.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I've been to many of the Western rally's and enjoyed them, even Richland Rick's rally in the rain. I'm game for going almost anywhere. Camping is out for us. But there's almost always a motel somewhere around. We've had one in Utah before and the riding was wonderful there. We do have some good riding areas here in Western Washington. We could likely get a discount for the group if they wanted to do a track day in Shelton WA at "The Ridge" raceway. Eastern Washington is warmer, as is Oregon. Coastal areas are chilly, even in the summer from San Francisco North. The "inside" of Vancouver Island BC can be warm too. As well as inland from there. Then there's the border crossing. Not fun. That and the passport requirement or enhanced driver's license would likely reduce attendance. I'm game for helping whomever organizes it if it's in the Northwest somewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
New guy here, but am definitely down for a PNW meetup of some sort. I'm a freelancer, so long breaks require either not being paid, or rearranging things so as to work ahead before going...just saying all I need is enough notice and I'm there!

Would also be down for assisting in organizing something should it be local *enough*.

·
Registered
207 Posts
@ommoran,

Glad you posted the western gathering idea. I'm not much of an organizer, and never having been to any event like this I doubt I'd know the first thing about it. But I'd love to have a semi-local meet up. Should have my nexus pass by the time the weather gets good so that will ease the madness at the border. I could probably do a day or two to get somewhere, but perhaps we start with a spot within a day of Vancouver / Seattle? Or somewhere not much south of Seattle? Depends if people want to camp (and how rustic they are feeling) or if it is easier to get victims with a one or two-day commitment.

Martin; maybe also we cross reference with ADV rider for a visit at the Vancouver MC show? A different event but we might get a wider group of folks, even if not all do both.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@ommoran,

Glad you posted the western gathering idea. I'm not much of an organizer, and never having been to any event like this I doubt I'd know the first thing about it. But I'd love to have a semi-local meet up. Should have my nexus pass by the time the weather gets good so that will ease the madness at the border. I could probably do a day or two to get somewhere, but perhaps we start with a spot within a day of Vancouver / Seattle? Or somewhere not much south of Seattle? Depends if people want to camp (and how rustic they are feeling) or if it is easier to get victims with a one or two-day commitment.

Martin; maybe also we cross reference with ADV rider for a visit at the Vancouver MC show? A different event but we might get a wider group of folks, even if not all do both.
I actually normally start a post there around the turn of the new year but I've already been hinting at a couple of threads on there. :) Keep an eye out.

·
Vendor
4,917 Posts
A location in the middle of WA state would allow for loops that covered:

Ride 1 option, the eastern Oregon scenic byway
Ride 2 the Columbia Gorge
Ride 3 the North Cascades Highway
Ride 4 The Olympic Peninsula
Ride 5 and my personal favorite, the four volcanoes ride, Mt Adams, Mt St Helens, Mt Rainier, and Mt Hood on some of the best roads that exist anywhere.
Ride 6 Hell's Canyon, Idaho.

Anyone coming from Canada could hit the north Cascades highway and maybe Blewett Pass.

Highway 1 up the coast from California and Highway 101 in Oregon.

Things to see on the way there from the east include Yellow Stone, Bear Pass, Sawtooth Mountain pass, Great Tetons, Highway 12 across the Blues Caution (winding road next 86 Miles) and then the palouse of Easter WA state.

Motorcycle roads Oregon https://www.motorcycleroads.com/motorcycle-rides-in/oregon

Motorcycle roads Washington https://www.motorcycleroads.com/motorcycle-rides-in/washington

I will commit right now to lead rides.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts