StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is cross-posted in the NW and the Canadian forum.

I see that the Eastern Troopers V-Strom Rally is set for 2020, for nigh on its 20th year. It lead me to thinking that this is something that might do well out west. Sure, we have Touratech, but that's "hey, wow, another V-Strom!". What about the idea of a Western one in BC / WA / ID / AB / OR? I can think of one or two great locations to ride where there are some motorcycle friendly camping / hotel sites, and I'm sure others can chime in.

Would there be interest? Ironically, I might not be able to do it this year (natch!) as I'm blowing my holidays on my wedding and honeymoon (riding motorbikes in Ireland!). But I'm just gauging interest. Anyone? Can we get 20 of us together?

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts
I am planning my "Dreamride" to Alaska in June 2020...…..MUST attend D2D in Dawson City, Yukon on June 19-20, then up to Fairbanks/Arctic Circle, a U-turn back down to Denali and some of the coastal regions (Anchor Town, Homer, etc)…..then headed home, passing thru Washington State . If any kind of Western Rally is slated for last week in June - early July, this Bama Boy might just show up......if I am still alive after all that previous riding. I'll keep an eye on this thread...…….

·
Vendor
4,715 Posts
We had a few western rallys way back when. South Dakota, The Dalles in Oregon, LA CA, and two in Colorado come to mind.

Some that attend the eastern rally have voiced a need for more variety, but the loudest voices tend to shout them down. So there is a interest. They just don't want to offend the adamant loyal/die hard same location every year folk.

I might attend a NW rally even though i would need to cross the country to do it. I know several folks in Canada are looking for something different too.

BTW somewhere there is a list made by the past rally hosts of things to consider when hosting. Availability of bars and ordering off the menu were high on the list. There has been some bad experience with catering and restricted menus. Dry counties aren't very popular either. A dealership enthusiastic about participating helps quite a bit. We have mixed luck there too. Several have been willing to provide free hot dogs and hamburgers and discounts while some wound up just letting people use the parking lot for rally points (IMHO they sucked!). It's best to get a thorough understanding beforehand.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still thinking about arranging this. The New Year odometer hasn't assuaged my interest in place of reality. Strike when things are hot with some dates!

·
Vendor
4,715 Posts
I'm all in. Just let me know when you want the website set up. A firm location would be nice (Hotel, City), but a general area will do (County). The one thing HD has done that everyone can appreciate is their ride planning website. Great for laying out various rides for a rally.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts