StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally use RK or D.I.D. chains (for my other bike) but I recently acquired a chain from Western Power Sports. The plan is to put this on the big V-Strom (DL-1000). It's the WSP 525HSO O-Ring chain (Part #69-6720).

The parts manager at a large bike dealership (the chain was not purchased there) told me today that WSP has their chains made by the same factories that make the other major brand name chains and that he knows for a fact that his shop has used them for some time with no problems. Still, I'm hesitant...

Does anyone have any experience with these chains? Are they any good? Am I making a mistake? Stop me now if I am...

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Look at page 842 in this catalog for a bit more information about your chain:
Street Catalog | Western Power Sports

Western Power Sports is one of the big three wholesale distributors of aftermarket parts and accessories. Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited/Drag Specialties are the others. These distributors need to supply quality items to their dealers or they won't retain the business. I'd feel OK about using this chain.

Here's an example--a friend has a small indie shop and does all his business with Parts Unlimited. Their branded batteries have been very reliable, and the occasional bad one gets prompt warranty replacement from Parts Unlimited so my friend can serve his customers well. This is an example of how they do business to retain their customers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Western Power Sports is one of the big three wholesale distributors of aftermarket parts and accessories. Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited/Drag Specialties are the others. These distributors need to supply quality items to their dealers or they won't retain the business. I'd feel OK about using this chain.
Thanks, PTRider. This is almost verbatim what that parts manager said.

The parts guys at the other local dealership where I bought the chain said they use WSP chains on all of their service intervals unless some other brand is specifically requested by the customer.

I guess I'll give this chain a try. Thanks again.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is posted as a follow up to assist future readers looking for information on this specific topic.

Many online motorcycle supply stores sell a wide variety of 525 chains on their websites. If one uses the “bike selector” on several of the better-known sites to locate specific parts for the DL-1000 V-Strom, some of those same sites do not offer 525 chains specifically for the V-Strom even though they sell many 525 o-ring chains.

When choosing a chain, it is not necessarily valid to simply compare engine displacement to tensile strength. Additional variables such as torque, rider weight, riding style, and payload are probably also equally important when considering the suitability of a particular chain for a specific bike. Tensile strength isn’t everything but it’s at least a baseline measurement.

A comparison of the WPS chain and other name-brand chains:

1) The WPS 525 HSO O-ring chain shows to have a tensile strength of 8987 lbs.

2) The DID 525VM2 Gold Premium X-Ring Chain has a tensile strength of 8,580 lbs. It is rated for 750cc max street use.

3) The EK SRX 525 Pitch Gold X-Ring chain shows to have a tensile strength of 8,800lbs. Various internet sources state it is "suitable for 900cc max off road use and 750cc street use."

4) The DIDZVM-X has a tensile strength of 10,408 and shows to be rated for 1300 cc bikes. it is cited as one of the strongest 525 chains on the market.

A phone call to the Technical Department at Western Power Sports revealed the following:

1) The WSP 525 HSO O-Ring chain will work for the DL-1000 V-Strom but it should not be expected to perform at the same level as more expensive D.I.D. and RK chains in terms of longevity & mileage or elongation & stretching.

2) The WSP 525 HSO O-Ring chain is intended to be used with a clip-style master link but like any other motorcycle chain, can accept a rivet-style master link

3) Western Power Sports rivet-style master links for 525 chains require heavy-duty quad staking, something the average chain tool cannot handle

4) Rivet style master links for D.I.D. chains should not be used on the WSP 525 HSO O-Ring chain as it could lead to catastrophic failure

Final Analysis and Follow Up Actions
The WSP 525 HSO O-ring chain is not the preferred chain for the DL-1000 V-Strom.

I returned the chain to the dealership and received a full refund. I informed the Parts Manager of my findings and provided him with a written summary of the facts above. The conversation was polite and professional but they were made aware that they had failed to provide me with accurate information or the correct product for my bike even after being requested to double check their facts before I purchased the chain. I informed them that while I appreciated their provision of the D.I.D. master link, I was concerned to learn that it could have compromised my safety; something that I avoided only by calling Western Power Sports who adamantly advised against what they had suggested. The Parts Manager said he was sorry.

Drive Systems USA has provided me with excellent advice and service in the past. I called them today and ordered the D.I.D. 525ZVMX which is the highest rated 525 chain offered by D.I.D.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I eat chains but recently bought a WPS 525 o ring...like the one ur looking at. I've had it on the 650 for about 10k nbow. Very happy..no stretching like the DIDs. Buy it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts