StromTrooper banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at where to go in Maine in late August/early September. I use to live in Maine but never got a chance to check out western Maine and north of Baxter. I’ll be riding the super slab from Nebraska to New York then cutting across country to Mt Washington and entering Maine on HWY 2 at Bethel. From there I’m open to suggestions. I’m thinking of hitting Rangeley, Jackman and go at least as far as Baxter. I’d prefer a mix of paved and gravel but nothing real technical. I’ll also be camping and wondering how many tent campsites (stealth of public) are available. Any help with routes and roads would be appreciated.

This is what I got from Google Maps using bicycle routes.

The route link is this: Gorham, NH to Portsmouth, NH - Google Maps

Soooooo is it doable or is there a better route?

·
Premium Member
8,025 Posts
The Delorme Maine Atlas and Gazetteer is essential. Keep in mind that motorcycles are not allowed in Baxter State Park and that many roads are private and gated in the northern third of the state. Delorme is your best source for this info when planning routes.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeap... got the the Delorme book... though mine is about 12 years old. I had read that Baxter didn't allow MC's. I need to put the book and google directions together. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone know what roads are open to the public from Moosehead Lake region north? Is Raggmuff Rd open? The DeLorme says there is a gate house.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Just found a great map for anyone thinking of going to the Northern Maine Woods.

http://www.northmainewoods.org/downloads/map.pdf
That map is not good enough. You NEED a current DeLorme Gazetteer.

Nearly all of the "great looking roads" that you see East of Rt 201, (From Skowhegan to Jackman), and North of Millinocket and West of Rt 11, are all private roads that you are NOT allowed to ride on. Not all of them, but the vast majority of them are.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This website is a must for information about riding in Northern Maine.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
This website is a must for information about riding in Northern Maine.
You are correct.

Here is a paragraph that I copied from the web site for you, and anyone else considering riding in the North Maine Woods.

BICYCLES, MOTORCYCLES, ALL TERRAIN VEHICLES AND HORSES

No bicycles, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles or horses are allowed at any time of year in the North Maine Woods area. This is necessary for logging road safety and to reduce the possibility for forest fires in hard to reach locations.

Like I said, you can forget about riding in the area that I loosely stated in a previous post. I DO encourage you to update your copy of the DeLorme Gazetteer. By doing so, and studying it, you WILL find some places to have some fun.

B.L.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeap, thats why I pasted that page and not the home page.

You are correct.

Here is a paragraph that I copied from the web site for you, and anyone else considering riding in the North Maine Woods.

BICYCLES, MOTORCYCLES, ALL TERRAIN VEHICLES AND HORSES

No bicycles, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles or horses are allowed at any time of year in the North Maine Woods area. This is necessary for logging road safety and to reduce the possibility for forest fires in hard to reach locations.

Like I said, you can forget about riding in the area that I loosely stated in a previous post. I DO encourage you to update your copy of the DeLorme Gazetteer. By doing so, and studying it, you WILL find some places to have some fun.

B.L.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Yeap, thats why I pasted that page and not the home page.
The page you posted was a link to a pdf file of the map you wanted to share, and not the page with the information that I tried to tell you about.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I did the ride but didn't do as much as I wanted to and that's fine. I did climb Mt. Washington which was fun and scary (part of the road was washed out and closed earlier in the day). I followed Hurricane Irene the day after it ripped through NY and VT then returned home the day that the Wilkes-Barre area had historic flooding. So my timing was thrown off a bit and my time camping was limited but still it was a good ride with plenty of adventure.

I'll post a ride report (with pics) as soon as I get caught up at work.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts