Strom Trooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are thinking of going to WV this spring for a riding trip. I was looking at some roads. What is Rock cave road #4 like as a route to ride?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
Route 4 is a nice ride. Nice scenery, many farms and such so the timber along the roads isn't as heavy as in many parts of WV.

Don't know which direction you would be coming to Rt 4 from, but if from Buckhannon ( my hometown ) Rt 4 goes off to the right. But taking a left to stay on Rt 20 is a hidden gem! Especially the part to Cleveland. Make sure your tank is full, not too many gas stops in this area! Make your way to Webster Springs and stay on rt 20. Webster Springs is the County seat and only has a couple gas stations! Once you go across the river and start out of Webster Springs and are going up hill there are two horseshoe curves that are simply awesome! I go through them a couple times each trip. At the first one is the "Custard Stand". A must stop if you like hot dogs, they have the best anywhere! You can head toward Cowen, then Camden on Gauley, on the way to Craigsville. From there it is best to head toward Summersville. From there you can go many ways but if you can ride down 19 to Route 60 you won't believe how good that road can be, in either direction!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For a loop what would use those roads and get you back to a starting point?

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,082 Posts
You can make loops in MANY ways off these routes. Depends on where your starting point is, how far you are riding, and of course if you are coming back to where you started. Some of my favorite rides take me on roads where I just turn onto them to see where the road goes and if it will take me back to a more major road. Roads in this area are pretty much undiscovered by bikers and the like. No Fancy resorts to head to or tourist destinations. Still wild country. With that comes a bit more peace while riding, as there is very little traffic.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Another through road that is less travelled, RT. 92 from Reedsville (near Morgantown in the north) through Elkins to White Sulpher springs( in the south) . This would also be an excellent return to a starting point from riding the route RealShelby stated. You could also loop back on 219.

·
Premium Member
1,611 Posts
Marlinton WV - B & B place to stay

Find you way to Old Clark Inn it's owned and run by a Vstrom rider. Very comfortable, well setup for bike storage, even has a wash hose with rags; and it inexpensive. INMHO Back Mountain Road north of town eventually going towards Cass is one of the best in WV.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, that Inn won't work for us, we have a dog that travels with us. The Wifey is investigating hot springs... She really likes that idea.

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
Find you way to Old Clark Inn it's owned and run by a Vstrom rider. Very comfortable, well setup for bike storage, even has a wash hose with rags; and it inexpensive. INMHO Back Mountain Road north of town eventually going towards Cass is one of the best in WV.
Thanks for that info 568v8. I travel to that area of WV quite often. I usually camp but it's nice to know of a motorcycle friendly Inn.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts