Strom Trooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years ago, I started working on a website in my spare time to help riders wanting to explore West Virginia. The website - www.RidingWV.com - covers Street Ride Reports, Backroad Ride Reports (paved and well-maintained gravel), Attractions and Destinations, Diners, Lodging, Events, and more.

One page I added later and had a hard time with was the Routes Page. My goal was to draw out pre-planned routes on maps along with narratives. Until recently, I didn't have much luck with the maps until someone turned me on to Furkot. After some experimenting, I found that free web-based mapmaking program was just what I needed. So - now I am unveiling my first project, a 3-day loop through the mountains of West Virginia.

Riding Routes Page: http://www.ridingwv.com/RidingRoutes.htm You can click on a link to view an interactive map of each of the 3 legs, as well as a PDF narrative/guide.

This is my maiden run at the map-making, so hopefully I will discover more features and refine the process as time goes on. Hope you find something interesting.

If anyone has any questions about planning a ride to West Virginia, please feel free to contact me. I'll do my best to find you the answer.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
Thought that was you....nother Burgman refugee >:)

Was down your way a couple of times very late in the season on fly bys with the new toy.

You might even recognise the covered bridge

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thought that was you....nother Burgman refugee >:)

Was down your way a couple of times very late in the season on fly bys with the new toy.

You might even recognise the covered bridge
Hi Doc! Nice CBF. Looks like a smooth, long-distance bike.

I love the Burgman - smooth, comfortable, plenty quick, handles twisties great, but sold it and bought another V-Strom 1K (my third!!). Found a very nice '07 just a mile from my parent's home. I've been wanting to explore more of the backroads that are either good gravel or rough tarmac up by Seneca, and didn't want to take the Burgman down them and across streams.

Sorry - I don't recognize the covered bridge. Senior moment - Help me out here.

Hope to see you down here again next year.

·
Premium Member
4,564 Posts
I don't know either. :confused:

I have a pretty full dance card for 2016 but usually the fall will bring me down your way. Some thoughts of a long jaunt with the kid down to the Ozarks as well.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Oh well, the cat has been out of the bag for a few years now anyway. I've been traveling 800 miles a couple times a year just to get to Virginia / W. Virginia roads. Started making the trip in the mid 80s when I took a more western rout home from Florida one time. I suppose sharing is good, but I've seen what happens when a region becomes popular. The good news is, I probably have a few years to find new ground before W.V. becomes overrun.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh well, the cat has been out of the bag for a few years now anyway. I've been traveling 800 miles a couple times a year just to get to Virginia / W. Virginia roads. Started making the trip in the mid 80s when I took a more western rout home from Florida one time. I suppose sharing is good, but I've seen what happens when a region becomes popular. The good news is, I probably have a few years to find new ground before W.V. becomes overrun.
I've thought that too since I've been riding in WV since 1980 (born and raised here), but it's not the case. Except -- during Mountainfest and HOG rallies the surrounding roads will be crowded with cruisers doing what they do best, cruising at 45MPH in packs of up to 50 riders so you can't pass. Other than that, you mostly have the roads to yourself.

Quite often, on a nice summer day's ride of 300 miles through the mountains, I may see a dozen bikes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts