StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In about a month (June 1) a buddy and I are headed on another bucket list trip. Wondering what kind of weather/temp range we can expect. Headed from Ohio to the pacific Ocean and back.

southern rt out included Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri, Oklahoma, N Texas, New Mexico, Az, Nevada, and California

Northern rt back includes Cal, N Nevada, Utah, Wyo, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri, Ill, Indiana and Ohio.

would dressing or carrying gear for 40 degrees to 100 cover it?

·
Registered
111 Posts
CA Trip

Howdy from just north of Utica. I made that trip a few years ago. You are in for an awesome experience.

It will be hot, cold, sunny, cloudy, dry, and rainy. Temps may get below freezing in the mountains. You need a good quality rain suit, and gear that will allow adding or subtracting layers. CO can be intimidating, and you will run into everything from 90 degrees, to rain, to snow, sometimes during a short period of time. The desert can be disorienting, so keep lots of water, and do your best to know where gas can be found. CA is everything from beautiful to a nightmare (traffic and air quality).

Ride safe and best wishes...:thumbup:
Dave

·
Premium Member
3,399 Posts
40 to 100? Well Death Valley National Park can see low 100's by May easily http://www.nps.gov/deva/planyourvisit/upload/Weather-and-Climate.pdfand it is a must see. In that part of California and Nevada it is wise to top up when you see fuel. In the high country at night in California (Sierra Nevada) it can easily be 40 and below at night but daytime temps will be nice. Some of the passes like HWY 120 through Yosemite are still closed for the winter and sometimes not open until the end of May depending on how much snow they received.

In California don't miss HWY 36 Red Bluff to Fortuna.

For fun roads in California.....California Motorcycle Roads - Pashnit Motorcycle Tours Maps, Passionate Scenic Rides Photos

and....Lost Coast - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and.....Avenue of the Giants - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
The Pashnit site now seems to be by subscription only. Too bad. He does include a teaser entry on the Mosquito Ridge Road which is one of the better (but not most extreme) rides around here, and one of many that make the "Dragon" look like an interstate. If someone were going to spend some significant time exploring CA roads, though, you can't do better than Pashnit's routes.

Strange year, isn't it? A week or so ago both 4 and 108 were open, now closed again. I'm going to keep an eye on the Caltrans website to see when they re-open. Some years ago I went over 108 on a Goldwing just after spring opening and the snow walls on both side of the road were really impressive. The road surface was wet from snowmelt, but not slippery.

·
Registered
14,455 Posts
In June, going the few miles from 101 to the coast in Calif can be from 100 to 40 degrees. So yeah, bring all the stuff. Gerbings etc!
I'm hoping 108 is open the end of May so I can go from Tahoe to Mariposa. With fickle weather one never knows.

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
A west cost trip is on my bucket list of rides too. I haven't seriously planned it yet, but started a rough draft.

Some of that looks like Interstate. You need to take in Utah and Colorado on your way back. There is some nice riding in Arizona and New Mexico, but not I-40. I would not miss UT and CO, unless you are planning another trip just for that.

·
Registered
14,455 Posts
Not to poo-poo anyones idea of the coast but I've done it. Lost coast is bitchin.
South of that it's iffy due to the proximity to the shore...or lack of it. Summer has fog and clouds along the coast a lot. Local traffic is slow too. South of 'Frisco has the motor homes one loves to hate and more traffic.
Scenic in places and just suburbia in others.
The golden State does have a lot of little mountain roads that are a hoot to ride.
I'd suggest you Google Map any routes ponder and get a feel for what might be there. I satellite buzz routes all the time and have a better idea of what to expect when I get there.
Road Conditions
This link can tell you if your intended route will have construction or repairs due to weather...or closures. Most states probably have a similar site.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Not to be a buzz kill, but I-10 through Eastern California and Western Arizona during summer months will be some of the hottest climates you'll ever experience. Very possible to see highs in the 115-120 range. It's doable, but early morning and late evening/night travel are advised. My three words of advice to you are:

HYDRATE

HYDRATE

HYDRATE (even if you're not traveling during daylight hours)

The super dry air and high temps are no joke. You WILL dehyrate before you know it's happened and by then it'll be too late. Dont be surprised if you're able to chug as much water as you can possibly hold and never pee drop. You'll sweat and not even realize it because it evaporates so quickly. Monsoon season doesn't hit until early July, so it's going to be dry out there...

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
A cool tie is nice, but if you want complete air-conditioned comfort you will need an evaporative vest worn under an open-mesh jacket. Believe me, your core will be completely comfortable. Feet, legs and hands not so much but at least there is no danger of hyperthermia as long as you can recharge the vest with water every couple of hours.

·
Registered
5,444 Posts
You need to take in Utah and Colorado on your way back.
definitely. Can't imagine why anyone would want to take that southern route. Through LA? Yougottobeshittingme.

US50 going one way and US2 or 20 going the other are by far the best corridors (with appropriate detours, of course) for scenery and attractions.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Mike is spot on with the cool vest and mesh jacket. For long distance summer travel I no longer bring my adv or leather jacket. Only a mesh jacket, heated liner and wind breaker has carried me from 35 to 118 degrees with little space requirement. On hot days, leave at or before sunrise and quit early.
Being from Ohio, I suspect you want to do the Hollywood, Beverly Hills , Malibu thing, but if not, avoid LA. You will want to do the coast, plenty of other mountain routes along your way other than the Ca sierras

·
Registered
3,132 Posts
When I did my trip, I rode to Astoria, OR and headed south. Stayed with some friends in San Jose, then had to decide. More coastline and head home skirting LA and Vegas, or cut east and visit Yosemite? The decision was easy; had two beautiful days in the park with no riding. It would have been nice to see Monterey, Big Sur, Mulholland and Angeles Crest, but the rest of the route wouldn't compare to Yosemite.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
When I did my trip, I rode to Astoria, OR and headed south. Stayed with some friends in San Jose, then had to decide. More coastline and head home skirting LA and Vegas, or cut east and visit Yosemite? The decision was easy; had two beautiful days in the park with no riding. It would have been nice to see Monterey, Big Sur, Mulholland and Angeles Crest, but the rest of the route wouldn't compare to Yosemite.
Yes, Yosemite would certainly be an exception if one hasn't been.
From Vegas through Death Valley, up 395 to 120 into Yosemity would be much nicer the going through LA.
Lots to see in our great country and impossible to see it all in one trip

·
Registered
541 Posts
A west cost trip is on my bucket list of rides too. I haven't seriously planned it yet, but started a rough draft.

Your leg across Oregon is bad, you want to take 126 instead of 20. 20 is very flat, and 126 is hilly and scenic. Distance wise they are about the same.

·
Registered
14,455 Posts
1+ for the wet vests. I carry a couple in my panniers in a a cheap Wally Mart dry sack. One rehydrates while the other cools me.
Some travelers think the high temps we have in the desert West are reason enough to go to a destination. Seems like nothing but German And French tourists occupy Death Valley and Arizona while the Americans stay home in the AC.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Plan on plenty of heat in Oklahoma and N. Texas. 90-95+ is almost guaranteed. We've already had some 90 degree days. You'll probably run into some wind also. When you get to ABQ, it will cool off, as you're at 5000 ft. and that will make a big difference.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts