StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,237 Posts
I saw in the business section today in the LA Time that Target was leaving the Canadian market since none of the Canooks spend any loonies there. That was after I saw the first posting and wondered...WTF...is this?
Not wondering no mo.
Some markets are successful and others are not.

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
Some markets are successful and others are not.
Much the same happened here in Australia with Starbucks. Their coffee wasn't up to the standard Aussies expect.

Firstly, they didn't seem to pay much attention to product optimisation. In short, they just took what worked in the US, and tried it here. Unfortunately for Starbucks, what worked in the US was bitter, weak coffee augmented by huge quantities of milk and sweet flavoured syrups. Not so much coffee, as hot coffee-based smoothies.

For the Australian consumer, raised on a diet of real espresso, this was always going to be a tough sell.
Starbucks in Australia: Where did it go wrong? - The Drum (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
Seems like some 'merkin corporations just don't get how to sell to Canadians. We are NOT 'merkins and buy differently.

It didn't help that they were grossly short on stock last holiday season, and their prices were much more for the same items in the states.

Boneheads. They lost billions on this fiasco.

Now I'm worried about Timmies since they got bought by Burger King.

We'll see....

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts

·
Registered
14,237 Posts
"Their coffee wasn't up to the standard Aussies expect."

I can't stand that crap either.
'Merican marketing is a wonder. One wonders why it works here much less in other cultural markets. I blame it on the educational process here. For the marketeers they have to exert less effort on the poorly educated to sell them on the ideas.
Just listen to the ads on telly or radio for drugs and medications. The side effects guarantee death and worse but by golly, ask your doctor for this stuff!
Automobile ads include raves of horsepower and squealing tires. Sexy cars tearing up dry lake beds into dust clouds, etc. Yousa, I want one of them!

·
Super Moderator
4,480 Posts
"
Just listen to the ads on telly or radio for drugs and medications. The side effects guarantee death and worse but by golly, ask your doctor for this stuff!
Automobile ads include raves of horsepower and squealing tires. Sexy cars tearing up dry lake beds into dust clouds, etc. Yousa, I want one of them!
I suspect your audiences aren't much different to ours but different things are allowed on TV.

We don't get the drug adverts here except for over the counter drugs like aspirin.

Motor vehicle adverts that depict racing, tearing up the landscape, etc., will usually have complaints made to the Advertising Council and will almost certainly be banned.

However, we do allow nudity on TV (including full frontal male after about 8.30pm) and we don't blur out even innocuous bum-cracks. We don't blur out blood on medical shows, either. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
470 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
In the same manner that sparkling wines not made in a certain part of France cannot be called " champagne " , the hot , brown liquid sold at Timmie's , cannot be called "coffee ".:headbang:

Alex .

·
Premium Member
4,960 Posts
In the same manner that sparkling wines not made in a certain part of France cannot be called " champagne " , the hot , brown liquid sold at Timmie's , cannot be called "coffee ".:headbang:

Alex .

Apparently, many people on this forum do not realize what Timmies actually is, and how important it is to bikers.

Timmies is a Canada-wide chain of clean, well maintained public washrooms which do not demand you purchase anything from their food section, which is what actually provides the financial support for the washrooms. As we travel across this HUGE country we live in, we can count on a Timmies being close enough to use the washroom when needed. There are a few places where this rule doesn't hold true, but there's lots and lots of bush up here in case of an emergency. Always carry kleenex (Well for female riders anyway).

Timmies biggest problem as of this date is the extremely poor quality of their hand dryers. They are worse than useless and need to be replaced by the newer turbofan style hand dryers.

So if you are complaining about the coffee, just cross your legs and hold it in 'til you get home on your next ride.

Come to Canada, bring money, lots of it, and experience Timmies the Canadian biker way.

:beatnik:

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
We don't get the drug adverts here except for over the counter drugs like aspirin.
Count your blessings on that. We are inundated with that crap here. Ironic especially in light of the constant drumbeat about how bad it is to take "drugs"... What's funny is that it is now pretty much predictable... some new miracle drug will be pushed for a while, to cure everything imaginable... then, 6 months to a year later, that same drug starts showing up in the lawyer ads (hopefully you guys don't have those, either) saying a bunch of people have died or worse from using those drugs, call now to qualify for a substantial financial award.

However, we do allow nudity on TV (including full frontal male after about 8.30pm) and we don't blur out even innocuous bum-cracks. We don't blur out blood on medical shows, either. :mrgreen:
You all know that a naked guy does not count as nudity, right? :D

I don't watch those medical shows, but I don't think they blur them here, either... hell, an 8 year old kid can see all kinds of slow-motion shootings, complete with flying blood and exit wounds, pretty much any night on the tube here... but let one female nipple be exposed and all of a sudden it's Restricted rated.

·
Registered
14,237 Posts
"we do allow nudity on TV"

Over here the PC's would have a cow. PBS had a FFN way back in the olden days...some play. But it's been Mr Rogers Neighborhood for years for the good of us all.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I lived in Canada for a while - Timmies is no great loss.
I used to love Tim Horton's coffee but several tours in the middle east and 4 years in Europe killed TH for me forever. I am, sadly, a coffee snob now. However, like a true Stromtrooper, I am way to cheap to drink the good stuff when I'm out and about so I drink the donut shop Java regularly.
I remember the day McDonald's changed their coffee formula and started selling coffee that was better than Tim's. The nationalist in me was truly appalled. To this day whenever I enjoy a McD coffee I feel kinda shameful, like when I was looking at the underwear section of the Sears catalogue as a kid.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Apparently, many people on this forum do not realize what Timmies actually is, and how important it is to bikers.

Timmies is a Canada-wide chain of clean, well maintained public washrooms ...

:beatnik:
Janice - You haven't lived till you try the washrooms at Home Depot , Lowes , or ( for the true Canadian experience ) , Rona .

Multiple stalls , spotlessly clean , turbo mitt vacuums , and no line-ups !

Your advanced tour guide , Alex .

Hey , did your friend not fall under the VStrom spell ?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now I'm worried about Timmies since they got bought by Burger King.
Yeah I don't really think you have to worry, Burger King needs Timmies right where they are. They are Burger Kings tax dodge here in the states. They get to tell the Internal Revenue Service, "Oh no! We're a Canadian company, really..., we're operating out of the back room of a donut shop" wink wink! :beatnik:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts