21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Yeah, you can't take the $$$ with you when you die. Friendly reminder. :LOL:

·
Registered
3,374 Posts
you made the right choice! beautiful bike!

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
When I still had my 650 and the 950 Multi had just had come out I went to the dealership to look at it. Reviews were that it was the perfect blend of power and weight. Was offered a test ride,but there were ice patches in the parking lot and roads so it was declined by me. A week later when I returned the bike was in the shop for undisclosed repairs and recalls. Decided to put it off and ended up with an 18 1000. Some regret as those Ducati's are a sexy lot.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Farkle Purchasing System
3,480 Posts
If you're happy with it it wasn't dumb.

I'm sure you spent more than you would have on a 1050, but you also got more bike.

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks all. I am a little worried about the reliability, but I guess we'll see. There's a lot of guys on the Ducati forum who have high mileage Multis with few if any issues. And some for whom it's been one thing after another. If it turns into too much of a headache I'll sell it and buy the 1050 I should have bought in the first place. :)

A little better shot of the bike, just ignore dorky looking guy behind it. :)

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Land vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
373 Posts
Now that used bikes and cars appreciate in value…the only dumb thing was not buying two so I can go riding with you on one of them. Really nice ride…I was drawn to that one my first time in a Ducati dealership…pricy but amazing all the same. Congratulations!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
If you're happy with it it wasn't dumb.

I'm sure you spent more than you would have on a 1050, but you also got more bike.
Rider magazine has tested both 1050 and the 1260.
1050: 566lbs, 96hp
1260: 570lbs, 140hp

So yeah, a little more. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Nothing wrong with that bike AT ALL!!! We know the reliability of our Stroms, and when they don't perform parts are pretty cheap. The V4S has had engine issues, but from what I've researched this problem has been ID'ed and Ducati is resolving it. I have looked and looked at the V4S, and WANT it the most. My Strom has less than 5K on her, so I need to make some memories before I pull that trigger. Those Italians know how to build, so you didn't make a rash decision. Go hit the pavement, let your baby take you places.

·
Premium Member
2,867 Posts
Any time someone questions your purchase, just go fire that baby up and give it a couple revs. You'll forget all about it.
I'm not jealous at all; really, I'm not.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Good decision! My Multistrada 1200 rider triangle, and simply the seat, is FAR more comfortable than my VStrom 650.

Also, the reality is that for over a decade no one carries parts in stock anymore anyway so whether it's a Ducati, Suzuki, etc, you'll still have to order the part at a dealership if it breaks down on a roadtrip. My point is, as with any other mc do your maintenance on time whether yourself or the dealer, and enjoy it to it's fullest!

I might add for others that have considered buying a used Ducati, before Covid pricing and availability, I could buy used Ducati's for pennies on the dollar and paid comparatively less for my 1200 Pikes Peak than some of you paid for your VStrom 1000's, and if you're capable of working on mc's you'll find that they're generally no more expensive than the VStroms for parts. So don't believe all the myths out there and experience the Ducati world for yourself. They're not for everyone, and neither are Suzuki's. :D

Sent from my Etch A Sketch

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Good decision! My Multistrada 1200 rider triangle, and simply the seat, is FAR more comfortable than my VStrom 650.

Also, the reality is that for over a decade no one carries parts in stock anymore anyway so whether it's a Ducati, Suzuki, etc, you'll still have to order the part at a dealership if it breaks down on a roadtrip. My point is, as with any other mc do your maintenance on time whether yourself or the dealer, and enjoy it to it's fullest!

I might add for others that have considered buying a used Ducati, before Covid pricing and availability, I could buy used Ducati's for pennies on the dollar and paid comparatively less for my 1200 Pikes Peak than some of you paid for your VStrom 1000's, and if you're capable of working on mc's you'll find that they're generally no more expensive than the VStroms for parts. So don't believe all the myths out there and experience the Ducati world for yourself. They're not for everyone, and neither are Suzuki's. :D

Sent from my Etch A Sketch
Glad to hear the bike's been good to you. :) How many miles on it now?

I generally buy used bikes, but as you point out Covid has really changed things. As I wanted a specific model (1260S with the touring package) finding a used one cheap enough to offset the lack of warranty was difficult.

Reactions: baroquenride

·
Registered
5,428 Posts
Thanks all. I am a little worried about the reliability, but I guess we'll see. There's a lot of guys on the Ducati forum who have high mileage Multis with few if any issues. And some for whom it's been one thing after another. If it turns into too much of a headache I'll sell it and buy the 1050 I should have bought in the first place. :)

A little better shot of the bike, just ignore dorky looking guy behind it. :)

View attachment 296862
If that guy is the salesman I would look for my wallet.

Beautiful bike, enjoy to the fullest.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Glad to hear the bike's been good to you. :) How many miles on it now?

I generally buy used bikes, but as you point out Covid has really changed things. As I wanted a specific model (1260S with the touring package) finding a used one cheap enough to offset the lack of warranty was difficult.
speaking of warranty, how many years does Ducati gives to their clients?
I got 5yr warr on Vstrom 650xa, I think it was only 1yr on my new FJR1300

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
If that guy is the salesman I would look for my wallet.

Beautiful bike, enjoy to the fullest.
dorky looking guy looks too "innocent" (to be a salesman), looks more like somebody that just bought a new bike (but still thinking if he made the right choice) :D

·
Premium Member
3,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
speaking of warranty, how many years does Ducati gives to their clients?
I got 5yr warr on Vstrom 650xa, I think it was only 1yr on my new FJR1300
In the US it's just 2 years, unlimited miles. It's more in some markets, I think 4 years in the UK. I'd love to have that.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nothing dumb about buying a Multi, modern Ducati’s are cracking bikes and I’m sure you’ll enjoy it. A friend of mine has had three of them, two 1200’s and a 1260 and no problems with any of them. I’ve ridden all of the ones he had and the 1260 was the best. Much more refined and powerful than the 1200, hope you enjoy the new bike.

21 - 40 of 76 Posts