StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
And I'm sure you're thinking, that's not exactly a shock... :)

Anyway, back story. I'm retiring in a year and plan on taking some long bike trips. My Strom, which I bought new, is 15 years old. Figured I'd like a new bike, something similar, maybe with some more power. Reliability is important, and a good dealer network is a big plus. Which makes a new 1050 V-Strom is the logical, rational choice.

So I marched down to the dealership today and bought:

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Automotive fuel system

Multistrada 1260S, with the full touring package.

Not real bright, but I think it's going to be a bunch of fun. :)

·
Premium Member
3,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet bike, any first impressions?
Not a lot, I took it on a short test ride, but they will deliver it on Tuesday.
LOTS of power, even though I didn't rev it out. Handling seems nice and neutral, from what little I could tell. I didn't notice the riding position at all, which means it's about perfect.
All the electronics is going to take some studying.

·
Registered
4,878 Posts
Ducatis are sexy!
I know I would spend time just admiring it.

Congrats!

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
a friend of mine got a quote on 1050 from Suzuki dealership and came home with Pike's Peak edition :) he said his elbow and shoulder joints are now loose.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
'20 DL1050XT
3,541 Posts

·
Registered
2016 DL1000 ABS
972 Posts
A friend of mine has one of the 1200 Multistrada Enduros. He is now approaching 100,000 kms on the odometer. It has been trouble free and had one warranty recall related to the shock. He changes the oil regularly, does the service aspects as required and just rides it. I think Ducatis have come a long way from the days when reliability was a serious issue. That seems to coincide with their take over by Volkswagen. KTM now seem to have taken over the mantle of reliability issues.

·
Registered
5,462 Posts
I have 2 buddies on Multi-stradas. Dealers are few and far between around us, but there is 1 good one in town.

One buddy has had a trouble free experience, the other has been plagued with weird, but mostly minor issues.

Pretty machines though and nice retirement gift.

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,711 Posts

·
Registered
2020 1290 Adventure S
389 Posts
Nice ride, looks good. Let us know after a couple of thousand of miles the pros and cons. I am sure you will love it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
A few years ago, 8 of us went on a 2 week ride from the northeast down through the south and back, around 4000 miles if my memory is right... We had 7 Jap bikes and 1 Ducati. During our trip, we had two bikes need to go to a dealer, one was a Yamaha that went over a guardrail at an off ramp, and bent it up a bit. Dealer said it was safe to ride home, no repairs required. The other, of course, was the Ducati, it had to go in for a clutch issue. Just sayin'.

·
Registered
2011 650 V-Strom with ABS
986 Posts
Assuming the Ducks really are less reliable than the big Strom, all (non-chinese) bikes have improved substantially.

And the ducatis are definitely sexier than the stroms.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Rich, Congratulations on having made your retirement, and my hope is you enjoy your new ride to the fullest. Top shelf stuff you have there! Good On Ya!!:giggle:

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
And the ducatis are definitely sexier than the stroms.
Rich got the "sexy one" (single side swing arm) (y)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

the new Multi's with double side swingarm - "noting sexy here" (imho) looks like our Vstrom but at double the price ;)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Registered
717 Posts
You are insane, and I'm jealous. I'm also a year from retiring, would seriously consider the new Aprilia but the dealer is 300 miles away.

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
I don't think it's dumb, because I want a 2022 Multistrada V2 950! :D

But starting at $15,300.00 I'd feel dumb for making $$$$$ payments for the next 5 years.

1 - 20 of 77 Posts