StromTrooper banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the dc area which is pretty contested and has a lot of aggressive and distracted drivers so I'm always very aware when I'm sitting at an intersection. I stay in 1st and watch my mirrors and know where I'm going if I have to get out of the way in a hurry...wasn't enough today. :thumbdown:

I was sitting at a light in the back of a line of about 6 cars and a woman pulled up behind me and safely came to a stop. So I put it in neutral and sat there. She then proceeded to somehow distract herself and her foot came off the brake and she rolled into me. I wasn't watching my six anymore so I wasn't ready for the bump and down I went onto my left side. Luckily my discounted SWmotech bars did their job and took the brunt and saved my paint. My clutch lever got twisted around (as did my mirror) and some scratches on the pegs but all in all not bad. I was able to put everything back and it started right up and I rode the rest of the night. The clutch lever feels a bit off, not in regard to its function but the position isn't quite right so ill fiddle with it tomorrow. Ill put up pics of the bars tomorrow- SO GLAD I had them.

THE KICKER- 5 minutes later when the light turned green and we were all on our way again- one of the WITNESSES (driving an SUV) made an illegal left hand turn from a right turn only lane as we went through the intersection (I was turning left) and damn near ran me the f--k over! :furious: NOT 5 minutes (probably less) or 30 feet beyond where he had just watched me get hit. ...this is why I don't carry when I ride. :weapons_89:

·
Registered
818 Posts
ugh. :thumbdown:

i'm glad you're ok and the bike is too, pretty much.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Sorry to hear of the incident but all in all glad you made it out of there in good shape.

I commute daily from points west to just inside the beltway, it is most definitely a very heads-up riding environment from start to finish. The drivers are absolute brainless self-important maroons and there is an undeniably consistent tendency among them to deflect any and all personal blame when they screw up. But I firmly believe that if you can survive here you can take on just about anything...after two hours of crawling along slipping the clutch in first gear in the heat and humidity, doing Paris to Dakar would be a cakewalk, with the benefit of no farging idiots surrounding you!

On the flip side it's easy to go hit Woodstock Tower Road or many other excellent routes on the weekend and decompress...

:thumbup:

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
One of the things I disliked about living in the NoVa DC area (Fairfax) was that there were so many puffed-up lawyers, bureaucrats and assorted functionaries on the road, all of whom assume they are more important than the next guy and that their business is more urgent. This also extends to the pampered soccer-mom, SUV-driving wives of said functionaries.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I lived the the DC area most of my adult life until moving to Corpus Christi, Texas back in 07. I'll just go ahead and admit that DC drivers are always in a hurry and have the mindset that they're the "most important" person on the road. I feel now that you riders have it much better than the total idiots down here on the roads in South Texas. It seems every weekend a jogger, biker or motorcyclist gets hit or run over by someone who isn't paying attention and then on top of it, that person leaves the accident scene, most likely because of no insurance or they were intoxicated. Sorry but I'm just venting and I really do miss the beautiful scenery and riding around in the DC area.

·
Cowboys aint easy to love
2,115 Posts
Even though you are probably right (sadly) about carrying while riding, maybe a threatening bumper sticker on your top case suggesting that you do carry would help? I went scanning for some and found so many I couldn't choose among them to post an example!

·
Registered
223 Posts
I was raised in NO VA but left 9 years ago....I HATE going back there...can't think of anything good to say about any of it....glad you are OK...but I wouldn't ride around there.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts