StromTrooper banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: Not sure if I'm getting punked or not?

So, this is an old-school kinda shop. Pretty busy (4-6 techs working on bikes all the tiem). Anyway, I've done valve adjustments over the past few years and usually, they swap out shims. You bring in shims and swap them for their shims. I thought that was pretty standard outside dealerships?? Well, I just did the front bank on the vee, and the guy at the counters asked the guy next to him "how much do we charge for shim exchanges?" The guy mumbles "uh, $2". Okay, no problem. Nothing is free (even though we traded shims).....no big deal. Well, today I go back, (with the rear bank shims in hand)....swap some 175s for 170s.....go in to pay, and the same thing re-enacted. "how much for shims?" The guy behind him mumbles "$5 each". ?? First they are free exchange, then $2 now $5? Oh....plus, when I got my new (used) shims, I slid mine over to the guy. I said "these are for you". He said, "we can't use them....I'll jus throw 'em out." Wait....huh? The shims you gave ME were used. Why can't use take used shims??

What's the standard procedure for shim "swaps"? Or is there even such a thing? I just don't want to be the chump next time I go.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
used shims don't wear out ??

I would expect that used shims don't wear out - as they are under the bucket

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would expect that used shims don't wear out - as they are under the bucket
correct, they do not wear out.....well, maybe in 100 trillion miles or so. Every shop I've ever been to only trades out used shims that others have traded in.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Every shop I've ever been to only trades out used shims that others have traded in.
Apparently, the armpit is in dire need of deodorant.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts