StromTrooper banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DL1K 60 k on the clock. On freeway rides at 100klm per hour for more than 10 minutes, the bike stalls when it first pulls up to a stop.It splatters and then stops, its hard to start and I leave it off and start when the lights change, and ride away keeping the revs up, next set of lights its fine and once riding no problems at all, bike rides normally and performs 100% outside this issue. I can ride all day in traffic , never a problem. Quick 100klm hr squirts do nothing , only if you ride it non stop over 10 minutes at speed. reminds me of a Vapor Lock??? I think its fuel, because its not a sudden death, and no codes are present. When it does die, its hard to restart and coughs a fair bit and takes a while to kick to life. you ride off never knowing a problem existed.

I let it idle for half an hour in the shed at the end of the last ride no probs, so I suspect speed and rate of consumption may be a factor.

Bike has had the fuel filter mod some time back, that's the only change its had.
Like I said bike runs really good outside this small issue.

Any ideas????:thumbup:

Cheers
Mike

·
Forum Admin
11,174 Posts
when that happens, without restarting the bike, open and close the throttle fully 4 times or so, and then try restart the bike. if that fixes the problem, you may have a throttle position sensor issue.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Yeah, quite unnerving, especially on long touring trips. Those were exactly my symptoms before I replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor).

It's an electronic sensor inside of a plastic housing, so long runs basically cook it to a malfunctioning state when it's already on its last leg. 60k would be getting your money's worth from it.

I changed out my TPS, along with both throttle body boots at the same time, at the 35k mark. I've never had the issue again.

Reactions: Rides

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Guys.
will check it out.

·
Premium Member
4,959 Posts
Mine did the same thing. Turned out to be the Intake Air Temperature sensor.

Replaced it and have had no problems since.

·
Premium Member
434 Posts
My 2004 Vee also did this a few times, I have the new throttle position sensor setting on a self in the garage, Has not acted up again in over a year.
Just buying the part fixed mine
Mike

1 - 6 of 6 Posts