StromTrooper banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a short bit of FS road riding today I go from tip towing both feet to being on balls of my feet. I have a28.5 inseam. The shock also feels just a bit softer but that could just be my subjectivity. It'a a new bike with 523 miles on it. I did hit just a couple of big pot hole at around 40ish and a few deep puddles at speed. That's really the only rough play it has gotten. The suspention may have gotten loaded on 4or5 paved twisties. Over all, I been very soft on my new Wee.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Did you check the preload level? Maybe the adjuster lost its hydraulic fluid.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not yet, will do thou thanks once again Greywolf. It's time for the first service too. I'll mention it to them. The Dealer did say the adjustable shock nob on the side of the bike had to be forced to turn. Thanks again for the response. I sure feel on the bottom of the learning curve for the V Strom.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
While the stroms are highly reliable, any part can fail. Tell them that the shock failed and you need a new shock under the warranty, and let them prove to you that it isn't needed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
While the stroms are highly reliable, any part can fail. Tell them that the shock failed and you need a new shock under the warranty, and let them prove to you that it isn't needed.
What happens when they spend 1.5hr pulling the shock measuring that it is within spec checking for leaks, find that its not blown or bad and they spend another 1.5 hours installing it. You get a bill for 3hrs and a funny look. thank you have a nice day.. what then?

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
I go from tip towing both feet to being on balls of my feet....The shock also feels just a bit softer
The shop can take a close look at it, test ride it, and determine if it is a bad shock or defective preload adjuster, or maybe operator error.

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
It's almost certainly just the preload adjuster.

It's a separate hydraulic system from the main shock, and there's a writeup on VSRI on pulling them apart and refilling. You may not need to do anything other than that.

Oil tends to seep past the O-ring in the adjuster , pulling them apart, making sure the O-ring is intact and oil covered is often enough.

The oil used in those isn't critical, while it should be hydraulic fluid, just about anything short of EP grease will work.

It's also possible some fool just decided to wind the preload adjuster out while you were parked somewhere.

Pete

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
523 miles on the bike you say?
And you rode a forest service road?

I think it's perfectly normal. My wee was higher in the showroom than it was a couple of days later. I'd say nothing's broken and your suspension just settled to where it belongs.

·
Registered
91 Posts
523 miles on the bike you say?
And you rode a forest service road?

I think it's perfectly normal. My wee was higher in the showroom than it was a couple of days later. I'd say nothing's broken and your suspension just settled to where it belongs.
+1

Also, (sorry, not trying to be an ass by asking this)... Are you sure your sitting in the EXACT same spot when you are measuring it? I'm also 28.5 inseam, and the amount of touch I get varies considerably based on whether or not I'm sitting in the "valley" section of the seat, or just behind it/in front of it. I also noticed some "breaking in" after the 1st 1000 or so, which increased the sag (I only ride mine on pavement)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks a bunch for the input

I gave it a good look over and did take it to the shop for the first service. They did not find anything wrong with it. I going with normal break in and my subjective perspective as a Noobie Wee rider, as well as, after a spirited ride in the forest I was more limber. I have now adjusted the front forks pre-load, rear shock and damping force adjuster. I lightened them all up for a softer ride. Coming from a kick butt KLR the Wee sure is a stiffer ride even in it's current configuation. Thanks again for the input

1 - 12 of 12 Posts