StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so a couple of weeks ago I was doing a long ride with lots of dirt. I came out of a gully and gave it some gas. I was in the wrong gear and the bike lugged and started to make a strange knocking. It is still making the noise, some times quite noticeable, other times not at all. The noise seems to be timed to the wheel rotation and usually happens most noticeably in first or second gear under load.

I feel no hesitation, so I don't think it's an engine issue. Transmission, wheel bearings?

Help!

·
Registered
417 Posts
Check for rocks under your counter sprocket cover. Happened to me once after riding through some mud.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yep I also found a hardwood stick that found its way into the sproket cover , also check both brakes + rear shock +f ront gaurd for small rocks and mud clumps

·
Evolving Curmudgeon
1,119 Posts
Lift the bike off the ground and spin each wheel. Once you've narrowed it down to front or back you can start eliminating suspected components one at a time. For example, if it's a front end noise remove one caliper and spin the wheel. Noise still there? Do the other side, etc.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Could be chain links binding.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pulled a 16d nail out of the rear tire. Plugged the hole. Noise gone. Doh!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts