StromTrooper banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I have a 2007 V-Strom 650 with 82.000kms/50950 miles, and a few weeks ago started to make noise, which you can hear on this audio file (VstromNoise.mpeg)
I have already changed the entire wheel transmission and rear-wheel bearings. But the noise is still there. Any clue what it could be? It seems like wind whips, but it's not the wind (this audio was recorded with the mobile phone inside the pocket jacket) and it's very loud.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Marco

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
6,946 Posts
It sounds like it is speed related and maybe wind activated. It did not start until you were about to change into 4th gear.
It is more like a loose bracket, fitting, or panel squeaking because of the revs and speed. Do you have panniers or topbox, or have worked on/added to the bike lately? If you have a main stand, does it sound when the bike is run up through the gears when stationary?
From which part of the bike do you think it originates?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Brockie,
thank you for your reply.

The noise depends on the day. Somedays doesn't make any noise at all, other days you ear a little bit at 140kms/h, other days only at 40kms/h make the same noise. Yes I have a topbox, but I have it 7 years now, it's not the topbox. For me it seems something near my foot, probably the chain (that it's brand new) and this noise also existed with the previous chain. Some days make a lot of noise, others I can't ear anything. It's very weird. Let see if it happened to anyone in the forum. When I put the bike on the main stand, I can't hear anything... it is really really weird.

·
Premium Member
129 Posts
I would check the shock pivot bearings. They need to be greased every so often, and if they are dry I could see them squeaking as the swingarm bounces around back there.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
From that tape I agree with Brockie. It doesn't seem to be wheel speed related. You can narrow it down with a $6 stethoscope. Add some hose for length and loose the hard ear buds. You just stick the two hose ends up into your helmet. How you position the head is up to you. A experienced passenger can help if you don't find it right away. Pretty effective.
Sample here

·
Administrator
Queensland, Australia
6,946 Posts
If jumping up and down on the suspension yields no result I would be touching and wiggling everything, including under the seat. It seems like something flapping in the windstream, or maybe rubber rubbing against steel. Did you do any work on the bike at all, just prior to this starting?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts