StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I'd share my experience about a recent weird thing that happened with my Wee. Here goes...

I was on an all day ride from GA to TN. I noticed that my clock reset itself to 1:00am for some reason. I didn't think much of it, just reset the clock and kept going. Later that day I looked down and saw the display go dead followed by all my needles pegging out similar to when you start the bike. "Whoa....that was wierd" I thought. Everything came back momentarily and again my clock reset to 1:00am. The bikes performance was never affected and I had somewhere to be so I kept going.

Fast forward to dusk. I'm driving along minding my own business when my headlights shut off. I look down, noticing my gauge cluster dead but my turn signals are on like parking lights. Thankfully the light comes back on and the needles peg out like before. Now I'm thinking, "Holy nuts I didn't know it was shutting off my headlight, I need that sucker!" :yikes:

Thankfully I was almost to my destination so disaster was averted. The next morning I did some fiddling with the main wiring harness on the left of the bike just behind the headlight and also with the clutch switch connection on the handlebar. I didn't find anything significant but long story short (too late for that huh?) the problem never returned.

So there you have it. Not sure if anyone else has experienced this but thought I'd throw it out there. I can't stand electrical issues, it can be like chasing gremlins.

Anyway, ride safe and I hope your headlights don't go off. :thumbup:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
301 Posts
Me too.

My headlights went out last week and the wires in the starter switch were melted. I took the switch apart and jumped the wires and my headlight came on. It did some weird stuff before that too. Parts are on order including a new switch and the Eastern Beaver headlight relay.

·
38,104 Posts
Headlight relays go a long way toward preventing connector and contact problems that can affect other components.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've just experimented the same freak-out during the ride to work. However it happened when i put the blinker to the right on. Sometime ago i had a F.I. error related to the ignition switch, but since it appeared very seldom i really didn't do anything. (Shame on me, i know) It seems now that either i need a new Battery or to take the switch apart.

I hate electrical problems.

Have a nice day

·
Registered
27 Posts
Same problem

I've had the same problem, off and on with my '05 Wee. Riding along, look down to see the gauges frozen, and the clock reading 1:00am. It happend to me a couple of days ago (minus the gauge freeze up). At the next stop, I reset the clock and every thing is Hunky Dory again.

Just yesterday, I'm moving the bike around the garage only to notice that the time on the clock is way off (without being ridden in the interim). I pull the harness apart to find a serious dark spot on the harness from the purple wire with white stripe.

Is there a simple fix for this? I'm hoping cleaning up the contacts, and maybe a little shot of WD-40 :confused:

Attachments

·
38,104 Posts
I pull the harness apart to find a serious dark spot on the harness from the purple wire with white stripe.
The only wires with a white stripe are a pink wire and a black wire. The P/W is the speedo signal wire which doesn't handle much current and the B/W is the ground wire which handles all the power the fairing devices use. The B/W connection overheating could have altered the appearance. Scraping the connectors and bending the tangs for a more forceful contact can work. A jumper wire across the connector is a sure thing but a bit of a pain. Do use headlight relays to keep the problem from re-occurring.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I know this is going to be a stupid question, but hey, the only stupid one is the one you don't ask right......

I keep reading about the Eastern Beaver Headlight relay and some of the problems that it may keep from happening. From the many kits that are available.....which one is the one that everyone talks about? :confused::confused::confused:

·
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
DAMN! it happened again!

Out for a ride today around the beautiful Lake Okanagan. Watching my gauages (and clock) carefully for further malunctions. Well, over the the course of 160+Km it happend three times. First time, abut 15 min. in, clock resets to 1:00am. Second time, about 30 min. in, same thing. Third time, gauges frozen, LCD blank, it reset itself after about one mimute.

I pulled over, and played around with the harness behind the fairing. Gave it a squeeze, and moved it so that it was better supported (not hanging). No hic-ups for the rest of the ride. I don't know if that's the last of it, but I sure hope so. There doesn't seem to be any ryme or reason as to when it happens, but I'd sure like to see it stop!

BTW this is is all after trying to clean the burnt contact on my harness, and giving it a shot of WD-40

Attachments

·
Registered
301 Posts
YW

Un tape the harness from your left hand switch. My problem was found there at a Y connection. Y/W was touching a bare B/W . It was about 5 inches from the switch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts