StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys

Not got a wee yet, still got my 06 XT660r which you's in the USA/Canada dont get but similar to a KLR minus the fairing. (Live in Northern Ireland/UK)

Anyway ive plans to keep the XT until it goes pop or its cheap enough to own two bikes!!!:p

But one thing that i dont like the sound of is the 08/09 kerb wieght is suppose to be 220kg which is quiet alot considering my XT only weighs about 180kg all in including all mods etc etc.

So my question is what mods have any of you's guys done to lose weight on your wee strom? How much wieght (roughly) did your bike loose? and the cost of the mod?

I would be planning on replacing the exhaust but am not too sure how much that is gonna save (but it gotta get done, the wee just doesnt sound beefy/manly enough with out an exhaust)

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I think my Wee sounds sweet just as she is. That 220KG is wet weight including over 5 gallons of gas... so try riding with the tank half empty and it'll be lighter.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
the Vstrom is more road orientated , you do get used to the weight and the size ,but if you are small ( less tha 5'7")or light it may not be the bike for you.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Lose weight? My bike has gained at least 25 pounds. If you want a noisy bike, look at the Harleys.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You could start by removing the stock luggage rack and the pillion footpegs.
Replacing the exhaust will save a few kg's, but it's quite an expensive "diet" ;)
The original battery is pretty heavy aswell, there are "racing battery's" for sale which are made of rechargable cells. Supposed to be a lot lighter, but again, not a cheap way to loose weight.

Let's say the exhaust and lightweight batterypack set you back 1000$, for a weightloss of 15kg (which includes removing the luggagerack and footpegs). Is that worth the money? ...It'll still be a heavy pig :p

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So from the sounds of it you's guys arent to worried about weight loss on your wee then!

I wouldnt worry about me trying to loose weight, im already 6ft4 and weigh 15stone so cant really loose much more wieght or i would be clinically not right.

The exhaust is something i would be changing no matter what, im a well believer in the loud pipes save lives and it has on a few occasions with me.

Think im just going to have to get us to the weight then when i get one

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
So from the sounds of it you's guys arent to worried about weight loss on your wee then!

I wouldnt worry about me trying to loose weight, im already 6ft4 and weigh 15stone so cant really loose much more wieght or i would be clinically not right.

The exhaust is something i would be changing no matter what, im a well believer in the loud pipes save lives and it has on a few occasions with me.

Think im just going to have to get us to the weight then when i get one
At your height, the weight of the bike should be of little concern. I am 10" shorter than you. The only time the weight is an issue for me is when I am moving it around the garage or just starting out where I have to make some real sharp slow (walking speed) turns and in other situations where my feet barely touch the ground.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
At your height, the weight of the bike should be of little concern. I am 10" shorter than you. The only time the weight is an issue for me is when I am moving it around the garage or just starting out where I have to make some real sharp slow (walking speed) turns and in other situations where my feet barely touch the ground.
Its not the thought of dropping the bike or handling it as my dad use to own an ST1100 and a honda varadero both alot heavier than the DL650 and i could handle them fine its just they only work on open wider roads, which in Northern Ireland you dont too many of. Thats why the Xt's such a hoot as it can do both open roads and the very twisty back roads.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't worry about the weight. I ride a lot of multi-surface mountain roads and weight is not a factor. There are threads here were people have modified stock exhausts you might try that first if $ are a issue. In my opinion where you will want to spend money on is suspension. Fork brace is a must. I also added proper springs for my weight and heavier oil (12.5). Next up for me is rear shock and there are lots of options available. I also changed windshields and would recommend that.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The way the 650 is geared you'll run just fine on those roads of yours. I have not worried about weight- I bought mine when I weighed one more stone than you, now I'm down a stone less than you. But I've got probably 35-40 pounds of extra stuff that is mounted daily, along with a fairly heavy full riding suit, boots, and helmet. And a tall windshield. And a replacement front drive sprocket that is one tooth larger than stock which results in a tad bit less power, but an overall somewhat lower running RPM for any given speed (for use on high speed highways). With all of this, running the back highways and roads through twists and turns, over hill and dale, is all wonderful. You'll be fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts