StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Stromolites,

Newbie to this forum but I have wasted many hours on others.

I lucked out and Motorcyclist magazine picked me to ride the Road of Bones in Siberia. (this August) The bike will be a DL650 Wee provided by Suzuki.

The Bones road is 1300 miles of fairly rough dirt. I'll be running knobby tires and Gary's Pat Walsh Designs crash bar setup. A Suzuki centerstand, gel seat, and hand protector thingies are about the only mods.

I've ridden a Wee before but only on the street and graded dirt roads, it was OK.

I guess the only thing to do now is start a How-Many-Times-Will-He-Crash pool

·
Registered
198 Posts
wish i could go. sounds awsome.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Yeah, how'd you land that gig? They just walk up to you on the street and ask you if you ride motorcycles and if you wanted to go to Siberia?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been sending stuff to them and they have printed some. I got in the magazine about 6 times last year. I'm kind of semi-regular.

The whole thing is paid for. I just have to write a story after.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Terrible bad luck there!.

Do you have any links for more detail?
No links yet. I'll try to post from my iPhone if they have wireless over there.

I'll plaster the link all over when it goes in the mag's site. (motorcyclistonline.com) in fact, you won't be able to shut me up about it.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Hell yeah. Hint hint, I just redid my suspension and would love to carry your camera equipment for you!

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Will you be running a spot or something similar so we can track your daily progress?
Mike

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will you be running a spot or something similar so we can track your daily progress?
Mike
I won't be solo on this ride, some Suzuki cars/ jeep-ish things are going. Someone will have a spot locator I imagine.

My camera equipment consists of one old G6 canon and a kodak Z1015 for back up. I also carry a cheap, fixed focus, AA battery type, waterproof 6mp.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The wee is in a sea container bound for Vladivostok. I'll pick up the bike there and ride to Yakutsk, the start of the bones. We end in Magadan. About ten days total.

Start from Vlad on August 14th.

Also ordered a Canon rebel xs for use on the trip. Super price- $419 with shipping and a little kit with small tripod, bag, other stuff.

Pray for dry weather.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
who is going to be your Charlie Boorman?
I think he is taking Motormangemini...you know to drag a knee and stuff.

Jokes aside I am very jealous.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As you may have noticed, I didn't post from Russia. I lost my iPhone in the Moscow airport and was out of radar range the entire trip.

Anyway, all went well. The Wee was fairly trouble free considering the abuse it suffered. Pat Walsh's skidplate was battered and bent but it kept the Wee's crankcase intact. I don't think the bike would have made 1 day without it.

The Road is vastly improved since the sideway around guys rode it. Many new bridges, grading, the road is easy when dry. Wet is another story. Very slippery.

For those betting men amongst us, I dropped the Wee 3 times. Collect your winnings at the window to the left.

·
Premium Member
3,158 Posts
Awesome! Can't wait to see your write up in my next issues of Motorcyclist. I'll never look at my PWD crash bar skidder in quite the same way now - truly Road-of-Bones worthy......

·
Registered
609 Posts
Got any pics you can post.......the ones that didnt make it to the article? Just for us special Strom luvers.......:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Well I enjoyed the story a few months back where someone (Joe Gresh?) went to Iceland with his wife and rented a Wee-strom to tour around on. If the OP is that author (who also has a hilarious picture of himself in a bathrode on an HD riding down a Florida highway in a recent issue) then I'm very much looking forward to reading this story. Either way, nice to have you here.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Can’t wait to read about it. I lived in Siberia for quite some time. I spent a lot of time on a variety of bikes there including a 2-wheel drive Ural (the one with the side car and both rear wheels driving). Some of the most amazing scenery in the world can be found in Siberia. The people are amazing and the women are… Well regarding the women you’ll just have the experience it for yourself but that is a topic for another forum I’d imagine.

Just reading this thread is making me long to go back. Some of the roads had holes big enough to swallow a tank. Then when the floods would come it could flood areas bigger than the size of many states.

To the OP did you make it as far east as Lake Baikal/Irkutsk? People are so friendly once you get a ways out of Moscow. In general Siberians are some of the most hospitable people on Earth. OTOH Russian traffic police are some of the most intrusive I’ve ever met.

Instead of how many times you dropped the bike I’d prefer to know how many times you got stopped…

·
Registered
349 Posts
Would love to hear more and see some photos!

Mike Brown
Vancouver, WA

·
Premium Member
187 Posts
Yeah, post some pics already!!! :thumbup:

who also has a hilarious picture of himself in a bathrobe on an HD riding down a Florida highway in a recent issue
That guy's a riot!! Was that the one about why cruisers are so popular? I LOL'ed more than once!! :hurray:

1 - 20 of 52 Posts