StromTrooper banner

WeeStrom stays at high idle

3744 Views 18 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  dhally
I just got a used 2008 DL650 (non-abs) and the idle speed always stays at 2200 to 2500 rpm... The previous owner said that this high speed idle started occurring after he installed an Audiovox cruise control. I removed the cruise control, capped the vacuum ports, and checked the throttle cable adjustment, and the high idle is still happening.

When decelerating, the engine seems to vacillate between a high idle and a normal idle. I am assuming that this symptom has the same cause.

The bike has about 11,000 miles on it and runs well otherwise. The air filter is pretty dirty, I'm waiting for a new one to arrive.

Any ideas on what needs to be done to fix this? By the way the cruise control will be for sale..
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,702 Posts
The fast idle mechanism was probably tweaked when the CC was installed. Suzuki doesn't say much about adjustments to the throttle body mechanism on '07 and later 650s beyond don't do any.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
There's a good Suzuki shop about 30 miles away so I guess I need to schedule some service. I did order a new air filter, the old one is filthy. I noticed some oil inside the air box but don't think that is a problem.

It is frightening how the air box has so many attached hoses, switches, and sensors!

· Banned
4,054 Posts
My 08 dl650a doesn't have a "fast idle".
No matter the weather or temperature outside, it always idles at 1400rpm.

If this were a car, I'd say "look at the idle air control valve", but I dunno if stroms have one of those.

38,702 Posts
My 08 dl650a doesn't have a "fast idle".
No matter the weather or temperature outside, it always idles at 1400rpm.
It has a fast idle mechanism. Maybe yours isn't set right, you don't start your engine in cold weather or you forgot it starts out faster in cold.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have no desire to own a bike without an idle adjustment screw, and can't see why anyone would purchase one. :thumbdown:
I've never had an injected bike, just cars. I actually wanted injection so I wouldn't have to fiddle with jetting etc. The downside is if something is wrong, it needs a dealer.:headbang:

· Registered
870 Posts
I have no desire to own a bike without an idle adjustment screw, and can't see why anyone would purchase one. :thumbdown:
The bike is smarter about setting the idle than the user is. It would still work fine if the PO didn't touch the wrong thing.

If this were an ~'06 then one would simply lower the idle in this situation and screw things up further.

· Banned
4,054 Posts
It has a fast idle mechanism. Maybe yours isn't set right, you don't start your engine in cold weather or you forgot it starts out faster in cold.
It has an enrichment mechanism for sure (the computer takes care of that),
but my idle speed is 1400rpm whether I start my bike in summer or in winter.
I ride 360 days a year.

38,702 Posts
It for sure has a cold/fast idle mechanism too besides giving more gas in low temperatures.

· Registered
76 Posts
My 09 Wee started fast idling recently . The weather was damp and I had been running the bike very easy for a change. You mentioned oil in the Air Box, makes me think you might have overfilled the oil when changed or someone did. I had my oil changed at a shop recently and they overfilled it. Now I too have a fast idle but only intermittendly . I am going to pull my air box off next and check it for oil .

I say all this not knowing if the overfilling would result in "blow by" coming into the air cleaner. It would on a beemer but not sure if that is even a possiblity in the Suzuki design. Worth a check though as if it did do that there may be an imbalance in the fuel metering and therefore the computer ups the idle to compensate for it.

My idle is ok at the moment and the oil level is now corrected on it's own so I am going to open up the airbox and see what if any blow by occurred and clean it all out. That is the only thing you reported that we had in common . my mileage is lower as well so it is not a mileage issue. Also I did smell some gas on my last fill up and double checked to make sure my cap was fully closed. A vacuum line will also make one run erratic but you'd know that as the gas gauge would plummet . That also happened on my beemer a while back.

I'm actually glad you posted as now I won't think I'm the only one who had one to idle at 2500 rpm. for a while.

:yesnod:

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My 09 Wee started fast idling recently . The weather was damp and I had been running the bike very easy for a change. You mentioned oil in the Air Box, makes me think you might have overfilled the oil when changed or someone did. I had my oil changed at a shop recently and they overfilled it. Now I too have a fast idle but only intermittendly . I am going to pull my air box off next and check it for oil .
:yesnod:
The PO mentioned that the bike had been tipped over, so I assumed the oil in the airbox happened at that time. There is a crankcase vent into the airbox through a coalescing filter, and there is an oil drain back into the sump. It even looks like there is an overflow drain.

There are several sensors in the airbox. One is for air temperature, one for air pressure, and there is one I couldn't identify, almost looked like a level sensor. I wiped the oil off it but didn't use a solvent.

· Registered
870 Posts
It has an enrichment mechanism for sure (the computer takes care of that),
but my idle speed is 1400rpm whether I start my bike in summer or in winter.
I ride 360 days a year.
Most definitively does(or should) fast idle when cold. Here's a snip of my old 650 starting when semi-cold on a cool(for SoCal) day.

2008 DL650 Fast Idle - YouTube

· Banned
4,054 Posts
Most definitively does(or should) fast idle when cold. Here's a snip of my old 650 starting when semi-cold on a cool(for SoCal) day.

2008 DL650 Fast Idle - YouTube
Nope; mine stays at 1400rpm no matter what.
I'll start paying attention this winter though. I seem to remember the bike being near 2000rpm the first time I started it after buying it, but I may be confusing it with another of my bikes...
I'll see how it behaves when it's nearer to the freezing point. While I hadn't been paying explicit attention to idle speed, I'm pretty sure that in my 3 years of ownership it has always idled at 1400rpm (hot or cold).
Maybe that's got something to do with my high fuel consumption...
I recently ran through a tank at on the highway at a steady 110 km/h; I made it 325 kms before the blinking started, and while that's awesome compared to my usual 250, most people say that they make it further.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Another interesting symptom

Today I ran low on fuel and the fuel warning started flashing. Magically, the idle dropped a few hundred RPM. Still at 16-1700 rpm. After putting a couple gallons in the tank, the fast idle returned. :biggrinjester:

I scheduled a trip to the dealer, they are confident they can fix it.

· Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fixed

I took the WeeStrom in to Desert Valley Power Sports in Prosser to be serviced. There is a Suzuki dealer here in Kennewick (Ride Now Powersports) but have had no good reports about service there.

The mechanic informed me that EVERYTHING that could be adjusted had somewhow been adjusted out of range: throttle stop, high idle cam, throttle body bypass. Don't know about the TPS. After putting everything back into spec and balancing the throttle bodies, the bike runs great. Idle is ~1300 rpm. The valves were in spec at 12,000 miles.

Not sure what the PO meant when he told me he hadn't adjusted anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.