StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my dual star grip warmers ordered and have my horn lead extension ready to be picked up. If I plug the horn lead into the Suzuki grip warmer plug-in around the radiator and then to the grips is that all I have to do? I'm ignorant when it comes to electrical stuff. I've searched some old posts and this seems right. Any input will be appreciated.Thanks--Brad

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
You need aswitch or controller of course. Otherwise the grips will be hot whenever the ignition is on.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
136 Posts
KIMPEX heated grips

Anybody have experience with Kimpex grip warmers?

1. where do you plug them in, is there and accessory plug in that is fused?
2. I see one problem is leaving the switch on by accident then forgetting to turn them off.
3. tricks on getting the grips off. the heater installed, and reinstalling the grips ? Do they need to be glued in place and if so what type glue do you use.

Main thing is DO THEY WORK ?

thanks for the help

D-Dog

·
Registered
136 Posts
the dual star warmers, what is their rating? and can the DL1000 keep up with the current draw.

Thanks
D-dog

·
Registered
40 Posts
Re: KIMPEX heated grips

I just installed them under my grips and they work but the clutch side take a lot longer to heat up and does not seem to be quite as warm, but even on low they are pretty warm, hot is very hot.

I searched the forum and found lots of good advice. I used compressed air to remove the grips and it worked great. I used grip glue over the grips when I reinstalled the grips, although I really did not use much glue at all on the throttle side. I used a little lighter fluid to lube the grips to slide them on (maybe not the best choice).

I used the heated grip lead and a relay to power up a blue sea fuse box. The box powers up my grips and cruise control. When the key is off it turns off the box so nothing will be left on accidentally.

If I had to do it over again I might use the insulating tape someone mentioned on the clutch side to make it heat up quicker.

I will be riding on Friday a long way in cool temps so I should get to use them a lot.

Dirty Dog said:
Anybody have experience with Kimpex grip warmers?

1. where do you plug them in, is there and accessory plug in that is fused?
2. I see one problem is leaving the switch on by accident then forgetting to turn them off.
3. tricks on getting the grips off. the heater installed, and reinstalling the grips ? Do they need to be glued in place and if so what type glue do you use.

Main thing is DO THEY WORK ?

thanks for the help

D-Dog

·
Registered
136 Posts
Thanks JBH for the update.
some more questions for you guys:
-where did you mount the control switch? between tack and speedo or where?
where did you route the wire from the spindly/tiny 2 wire connector?
-Insulation tape sounds like a good idea, but what is it and where do you get it? I wonder how it would fit between the grips and bars since the grip/bar is already a very tight fit.
Last question is with the throtle at rest does the wire point directly back to the rider?

·
Registered
40 Posts
I mounted the control swith on the left side, big flat part of fairing (can get rained on here, not sure if that is a problem).

Previous owner already had used the heated grip wires to power cruise control so I cut it off and ran wires back to under seat to the new switched fuse box, wires were run on the left side of the bike, close to the stock wiring harness.

I dont know anything about the tape or what it is, I just saw it mentioned on one of the sites.

As far as the wires, I did them both different. Clutch side the wire comes out on the bottom side of the grip. On the throttle side the wire comes out the top side of the grip, the throttle sleve has a notch on top and bottom you can run the wire through (you will see it when you remove the grip). When I crank the throttle wire moves towards me. If I had to do it again I think I would mount the thottle side on the bottom slot. I think it would look a little better and plus when you crank the throttle it moves away from you. I also have the handguards so the wires are not so obvious to the casual observer.

I purchased a lot of wire from home depot and used it to run from the fuse box to the front of the bike, six wires total. 2 each (+,-), one set for cruise control, heated grips, future powerlet outlet I have yet to install or even purchase.

I am leaving tomorrow for Arkansas riding all day (500 miles) in temps in the 50's so I will get to try out the grips for a while to see if they heat evenly.

The install is not to hard. The worst part for me was when I put the grip glue on I could not slide the grips on quick enough. Seems like most people use hair spray to lube the grip a little, you may not want to use my lighter fluid route since it could damage something. Also drilling into the dash made me a little nervouse but I purchased the wood boaring bit for the size they listed and it worked perfectly.

Dirty Dog said:
Thanks JBH for the update.
some more questions for you guys:
-where did you mount the control switch? between tack and speedo or where?
where did you route the wire from the spindly/tiny 2 wire connector?
-Insulation tape sounds like a good idea, but what is it and where do you get it? I wonder how it would fit between the grips and bars since the grip/bar is already a very tight fit.
Last question is with the throtle at rest does the wire point directly back to the rider?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts