StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In preparation for next years get together I have made a pledge to get out and ride every weekend to find the best roads for my Northern counterparts. Unfortunately, after this weekend my search is complete, I have found the ultimate two day loop!!! So the bike can have a rest until next March, the link below will take you to an almost complete map of where we went, you will have to imagine a blue line extending from Arthur River (F on the map) down to Corinna and then across to Waratah (G on the map). Unfortunately the Western Explorer is not shown on the map, 100+ kms of fairly good dirt and absolutely stunning scenery. I rest my case and look forward to seeing you all in March.
Tone's weekend

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Show us your map of Tassie!!

Looks great I have been on a few of those roads in 2009 and they were brilliant. I will have to work hard on my Brownie Points, as I'm going O/S later this year. Should be able to wrangle the time off from family responsibilities to get to Tassie and back. What dates are we talking about? I will have to spend more than two days in Tassie, last time 8 days wasn't really enough.
I'll start now, where is that box of chocolates? "Oh deear would you like........

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
a good taster for next years gathering ther Big Tone, I've covered many roads in Tassie on my many trips south but Western Explorer still on the to do list as well as Cressy-Poatina run amongst others. Too many choices down there and hoping to spend 10-12 days down there next trip. Has anybody put forward any suggestions for a proposed gathering venue next year as I reckon there are plenty of options to choose from?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Has anybody put forward any suggestions for a proposed gathering venue next year as I reckon there are plenty of options to choose from?
I have stuck my hand up to organise the dinner and also to check out and advise about available accommodation. In my humble opinion, most of the best riding areas are closer to Launceston than Hobart and for those who are only able to make it down for a few days they would benefit from being based in the North of the State. For those coming down for a week or more it would not make a huge difference and Launceston is closer to Devonport for the boat. The other consideration is that a fellow member of the local Ulysses club owns a motel/convention centre and is willing to look at putting on a feed and doing deals on accommodation in the one spot for those who do travel across the water.

Closer to the time I will seek input regarding the date but i think it should be either the weekend of March 9th/10th or March 16th/17th, reason being that the 11th is a public holiday in Tasmania and Victoria and would mean one days less annual leave. Also the weather is still good!!!!!!

I am sure that there will be plenty of people who will decide to come for an extended period and they will obviously need to have firm dates to organise their travel plans, so send your comments through as to regards date and preferred locations and we will see if we can pick a winner.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Looks like you made a tremendous sacrifice for your fellow stromers, there Big Tone :biggrinjester:. Great looking roads, but most of them are down there.
I was able to plot the missing link
I think it would take me a week to that round trip, plenty of photo stops I'm sure :thumbup:
Where abouts is your mate's motel, it seems a good idea if we all stay, eat, meet and drink at the same place. The 16/17th sound good to me, starting to plan already :yesnod:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Having done 6 weeks Over Christmas in Tassie I would agree Nth of the state is the best Home Base.
I can recommend Western Tiers Cottages at Deloraine. 2 houses 1x2Bed & 1x 3 bed. Fully furnished and stocked.The Shell garage operator opposite the cottages is the owner.
Poatina has a Church group with cottages. Didn't stay but looked through them, nice and clean.
The Pub at Campbell Town I stayed 3 nights and was excellent. If there go to Ross just down the road, the history in that little town is amazing.
On the East coast there is a new Caravan Park at Scamander that uses South African Tents set up over a hard floor. No Elephants but the Pass is close by :thumbup:
My best Fun Outside the Hellyer Gorge Rd A 10 -(Hell Yeah) and the famous Queenstown to Derwent bridge twisties (still A10) would have to be Scottdale to St Helens.(A3) Was it Good ???? - I will let the image attached explain peg scrape.
Also the town of Sheffield is a good base and a beaut town.
So much to see and in general the Police are forgiving once out of town. Must get the correct date put into the camera
Image 1 - Nothing left to lean on and I mean Nothing
Image 2 - Roads, roads everywhere and Not a frigging Vehicle - go figure
Image 3 - Turn right for Highspeed thrills with a view- B28 motorcycle heaven

·
Registered
808 Posts
That looks excellent

It is going to be hard not come down - even from the Gold Coast. The photos look great and I loved Ross also, it was a very interesting place. Its time, money and leave from work that I have to plan for......but I want to make it happen. Theres still plenty of time.

Thanks for getting us thinking Tony.

Trevor

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like you made a tremendous sacrifice for your fellow stromers, there Big Tone :biggrinjester:. Great looking roads, but most of them are down there.
I was able to plot the missing link
I think it would take me a week to that round trip, plenty of photo stops I'm sure :thumbup:
Where abouts is your mate's motel, it seems a good idea if we all stay, eat, meet and drink at the same place. The 16/17th sound good to me, starting to plan already :yesnod:
Thanks for posting the missing link, interesting that Google reckons you should plan on 5hrs 31 mins to complete 163kms!!!!

The motel is in Launceston, as am I. The reason I suggested the North was that from Launie to Hobart is a couple of hours, to Smithton a couple of hours, St Helens and Bicheno a couple of hours and the west coast is really an overnighter from any where in Tasmania.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Big Tone, I reckon a few little day rides for folk around that weekend for those staying on for a few more days might be the go also. I've been down there on the bike 6 times now and still haven't seen it all but each time I know I'm coming back for more good rides. Hmmm, methinks a trip down there purely in the interests of research before next year could be in order!!!LOL:hurray:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts