Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Strommers,

My Wee 07, after sitting for 3 weeks in heavy rain while I was on vacation, wouldnt keep the engine running when I tried starting it.

* Initially it didnt start at all, battery was dead (I realize I might have a short/some wiring issue that's draining the battery? This will be inspected further)
* It'd start & run for couple of seconds and then die out, when I tried to sustain the RPM by giving some throttle
* A GEICO roadside assistance guy helped jump the battery and then the engine kicked up, but I observed drops of water flowing out of 2 tubes near the right foot brake lever - What does this mean?
* When he jumped it, the bike wouldnt start immediately, but after a few tries WITHOUT GIVING ANY THROTTLE, it seems to slowly start up, I gave some throttle and the engine roared up to 5-6K RPM
* I rode it about 300 yards before the engine again died and wouldnt start again ( maybe battery died out trying to start it up so much? maybe a loose connection? but why stop once it got running...??)

Could you help provide potential causes here? What Can I rule out? WHat needs inspecting? The below is list of things I could think of (please correct me if any of below are more likely or can be excluded from list of likely reasons??)

- Weak battery? (I've charged up the battery, and also bought a replacement MOTOBATT model just for backup/extra battery)
- Spark Plugs? (this is what the guy who jumped the bike advised me - the sign of water coming out from those 2 tubes were suggestive, according to him, that the spark plugs might not be sustaining spark while running)
- Fuel line issue? COuld engine be flooded/too rich? or is there potentially water leakage into bike? (I dont buy that rain could get into fuel tank...could it??)
- Wiring issue? Can wiring issue cause bike to stop running once it is on its way ?
- Anything else?

Initially I thought i'd tow it to a dealership and get it 'sorted out' 0:) but now I've got the bike into a covered space near home, so I am willing to work on it slowly over a week or two.

I'm planning on changing the spark plugs to iridium ones. It'd be great if you could weigh in on the above potential causes, thanks a bunch!!!

49K miles currently, and not sure if plugs were changed previously.

Regards,
Vish

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,049 Posts
When it didn't start initially, the intakes got flooded with fuel. Opening the throttle to get more air in helped it start. One of the tubes is a drain for the fuel filler cap well so rain water that gets into the well drains out through the tube. Hopefully, you got some fresh fuel in the line now that it has run a bit. Charge the battery and dry out the wiring. If it doesn't start right away, open the throttle until it starts to fire.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the quick response!

Thank you for the response Greywolf, I'll get on and go and try it out. Will post back with update on this test.

When it didn't start initially, the intakes got flooded with fuel. Opening the throttle to get more air in helped it start. One of the tubes is a drain for the fuel filler cap well so rain water that gets into the well drains out through the tube. Hopefully, you got some fresh fuel in the line now that it has run a bit. Charge the battery and dry out the wiring. If it doesn't start right away, open the throttle until it starts to fire.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Didnt start at all this time :(

This is an audio recording of what I hear when trying to start it. Any thoughts on what the sound might indicate? Fuel not flowing? Or Spark Plugs not firing correctly? The battery was fully charged when I did this start trial.

The sounds at the beginning were with just the starter button ( I did hold the throttle open for 10 seconds prior to pushing starter in the first 3 attempts you hear in the audio)

The engine didnt sound like it turned at all. It sounded (to my novice ears) like the spark plugs were ok, but no fuel or too much fuel was flowing? My tank is 1/2 filled. Maybe try some stabil/seafoam if there's water in the tank?

Looking for your feedback on what the sound seems to indicate - thank you!

Regards,
Vish

·
38,049 Posts
I didn't hear the fuel pump stop whining. Wait longer before trying to start it to see if the usual fuel pump whine stops. If it doesn't, the fuel pressure is never getting up to where it needs to get and you have a fuel pump problem.

Check the fuel pump volume - Fuel flow check

Also check to see if the pump creates enough pressure to push fuel past your thumb blocking the output pipe.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Does the fuel color look alright?

I didn't hear the fuel pump stop whining. Wait longer before trying to start it to see if the usual fuel pump whine stops. If it doesn't, the fuel pressure is never getting up to where it needs to get and you have a fuel pump problem.

Check the fuel pump volume - Fuel flow check

Also check to see if the pump creates enough pressure to push fuel past your thumb blocking the output pipe.
Greywolf - I finally got around to doing the fuel flow test - I got a good 300ml of fuel with 3 full cycles of key turn "ON" and "OFF"

However, My fuel looked a little funky - I guess I've not looked at fuel much, but does the gasoline look fine? I felt it looked kinda greenish (I might be imagining it :D )

So given the fuel flow out of the tank is going well, and assuming the fuel line to the engine is OK, the next thing to check is whether spark plugs are in spec. Would that be the next step you suggest? Thanks again for all inputs.

Regards,
Vishnu

·
38,049 Posts
How about pressure? Was there enough pressure for the pump to push fuel through with your thumb holding the tube end? When you turn on the key, does the pump whine that happens at the beginning quiet after a few seconds?

·
Registered
431 Posts
Green fuel indicates either old deteriorated gasoline, two cycle oil, or diesel. Drain and rinse the tank, inspect for rust, and refill with fresh gasoline.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
38,049 Posts
I was hoping someone who knew more about fuel would chime in. Some brands use dye to identify fuel but I've never seen anything like that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How about pressure? Was there enough pressure for the pump to push fuel through with your thumb holding the tube end? When you turn on the key, does the pump whine that happens at the beginning quiet after a few seconds?
The pump pressure wasn't tested, I'll do that tonight.

The pump whine stops yes, and the fuel does stop flow when that sound while dies out.

Regards,
Vishnu

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Green fuel indicates either old deteriorated gasoline, two cycle oil, or diesel. Drain and rinse the tank, inspect for rust, and refill with fresh gasoline.

Thank you for the suggestions. The I'll definitely bring a full refill using clean 91 octane fuel. I felt rather uncomfortable with the color of the fuel :(

I guess I can simply run out the current fuel using the same pipe setup?

Is there any way to ensure fresh fuel flows into the engine too? Where does all that fuel go right now, once it's in the engine and engine doesn't start? Does it collect inside the engine? (Flooding? )

I've also got new iridium plugs that I intend to install. But I can first test with new fuel in the system.

Change fuel before testing new spark plugs?

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Regards,
Vishnu

·
Super Moderator
16,730 Posts
Just fill with 87, there is no reason to ever use anything higher octane than that. You also might add a bit of Techron fuel system cleaner "good stuff" and let it also do its magic. Yeah that gas looks funky, almost looks like one of those nasty wheat beers. LOL

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just fill with 87, there is no reason to ever use anything higher octane than that. You also might add a bit of Techron fuel system cleaner "good stuff" and let it also do its magic. Yeah that gas looks funky, almost looks like one of those nasty wheat beers. LOL
Ok, 87 gas it is! :)

I agree. Looks really like....cheap light beer....

Or pee :D !! I was kinda worried that my neighbors might see me stand up from squatting next to the bike, with a jar full of yellow liquid....and be confused as Heck.

Regards,
Vishnu

·
Registered
431 Posts
Thank you for the suggestions. The I'll definitely bring a full refill using clean 91 octane fuel. I felt rather uncomfortable with the color of the fuel :(

I guess I can simply run out the current fuel using the same pipe setup?

Is there any way to ensure fresh fuel flows into the engine too? Where does all that fuel go right now, once it's in the engine and engine doesn't start? Does it collect inside the engine? (Flooding? )

I've also got new iridium plugs that I intend to install. But I can first test with new fuel in the system.

Change fuel before testing new spark plugs?

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Regards,
Vishnu

I'd try starting the engine with the new gasoline and new spark plugs. I'd spray a little starting fluid (the one with lubricant) into the cylinders before installing the plugs. If it doesn’t fire, hold the throttle wide open while cranking.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd try starting the engine with the new gasoline and new spark plugs. I'd spray a little starting fluid (the one with lubricant) into the cylinders before installing the plugs. If it doesn’t fire, hold the throttle wide open while cranking.

Can I just aim the starter fluid right into the spark plug socket ? Is there any way I can clean the "dirty" gasoline that's currently inside the engine?

Maybe run some fuel stabilizer?

I'm almost off work so I'll be off to buying the gasoline and the starter fluid. Thanks for the tip!

Regards,
Vishnu

·
Registered
431 Posts
Can I just aim the starter fluid right into the spark plug socket ? Is there any way I can clean the "dirty" gasoline that's currently inside the engine?

Maybe run some fuel stabilizer?

I'm almost off work so I'll be off to buying the gasoline and the starter fluid. Thanks for the tip!

Regards,
Vishnu

Yes, just a small amount, it doesn't take much. I'd try this first before pulling the injectors and purging out the old gas. That is a lot of work.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yes, just a small amount, it doesn't take much. I'd try this first before pulling the injectors and purging out the old gas. That is a lot of work.

I emptied the old gas, and put in half a bottle of fuel stabilizer, and a fresh 4 gallons of gas.

The new gas looks way different from the dirty old gas, and I'm still scratching my head as to why....

Compared to the old dirty gas....YIKES!

I ran out of time today. Next step - inspect the spark plugs and replace them. Then test the the new ones for spark.

Regards,
Vishnu

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Made a single pic comparison.....YIKES

I know this is a deviation from original goal, but anyone got any theory as to what could have demented the 2 month old gasoline to look like that? Looks awful :( !

Glad I put new gasoline in it. The new one still has that yellow tinge in it though. It's 87 octane.

Regards,
Vishnu

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Maybe you just got a bad batch of gas from somewhere. That is most definitely not what gasoline looks like. So with the new gas and spark plugs how does she run?
I'd really like to start her up to test, but I've been warned by some riders via Facebook post (I posted on the v strom Facebook group as well) that I need to replace the fuel lines to avoid damaging my engine and lines due to the bad fuel previously.

Is this a big worry? I've already added copious amounts of fuel stabilizer, to hopefully clean up of that bad fuel in the line.

Your inputs are graciously accepted :)

Regards,
Vishnu

1 - 20 of 73 Posts