StromTrooper banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a slight, rear end accident back in March. Just scrapes, bruises, and a pulled muscle on me. Lots of cosmetic damage to the bike - all since repaired. The gent who hit me assumed :furious: that I was not going to stop at a stop sign. Genius, right? Saw him coming in my rear view mirror but it was too late. I landed on my feet, got up and started cussing a blue streak. He did not realize he hit me and thought I was just a hot head until he saw his front tire resting on my rear wheel! Uninsured, too!

Have been out twice since and seem to have lost my level of comfort. Clinch up everytime I see someone come up from behind while at a stop.:frown:

Notice my bright, hi-viz helmet? Was wearing a matching jacket, too. He saw all of that well in advance. Again, his ASSumption was the problem! Oh well.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Sorry to hear that, but glad that you came out unscathed.

However, you bring up two good issues:

1. Seeing and doing are apparently unrelated to some drivers/people. So being visible and easy to spot is great, but it often does not work due to a human factor...
Assume = 'ass' 'u' 'me'
2. Uninsured drivers. It pisses me off to no end that in today's day and age, with all the computing power and connectivity options we are unable to ensure that all drivers have valid insurance policies in place. Now, the state minimum coverage is often a joke too, as many of them use antiquated formulas that currently only cover a fraction of a cost of an accident (medical and property damage).

Thanks for sharing and glad that you are back at it. I'd be a little paranoid too... :yesnod:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Man that suks! I too was just in an accident but on a different bike than my Wee. They were at fault and insurance seems looks like they are going to pony up.

You get any recourse from the driver?

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
Glad you're okay.

Did the at fault driver end up paying for the damage? Were any charges laid?

If not did your insurance cover it?

·
Until we meet again
5,436 Posts
Glad to hear you classify it as "slight." No one wants to be in an accident, but that sounds like the best kind if it has to happen. Still getting injured while riding sucks. Good to hear your injuries were minor.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
As the saying goes, you can't fix stupid, and it seems the driver mentally challenged to say the least.

Man, if you DIDN'T clinch up when someone is coming up behind you now, there would be something wrong with you. Glad you weren't too injured.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Glad your ok, too. I also fume when I hear about un-insured drivers. How can this happen? If they can install breathalizers and prevent people from driving after a DUI, why can't they install cut off switches on repeat offenders. Don't pay for insurance, your car don't start.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Been there, bud. I had a shiny new BMW R1150R a few years back, a few days after I mailed in my first payment, I got hit by a drunk/stoned/uninsured/no license driver who had multiple DWIs already under his belt. Fortunately I was carrying uninsured/underinsured coverage, and my expenses were eventually reimbursed. A number of years back, I had parked my Suzuki GS850G in front of my girlfriend's house, and someone driving by somehow managed to hit it. He also had no insurance, and I didn't have the extra coverage, so he got a couple tickets and I rode a half-wrecked bike for the next year.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. Too many of us in wrecks. You can do everything right and still get taken out by someone else's mistake. Of course it happens to us in our cars, too. The guy who hit me has "promised" to pay up but I have doubts. I've tried being nice about it but . . . we shall see. He did get a couple of tickets - one for failing to maintain safe lookout and the other for no insurance. Turns out he lives in my neighborhood and I know all of his neighbors. Sends his 3 kids to private schools so I guess he can't afford insurance! I'm out $1,300 for repairs but I can thank God I am all right and alive. Love this forum, btw. Good outlet and good info!

·
Premium Member
3,418 Posts
"Sends his 3 kids to private schools so I guess he can't afford insurance"!

Wants his kids to be well educated but fails to teach responsibility.

One reason we carry insurance is to protect our assets and it sounds like he has some. Maybe he wants his kids to be well educated because he himself is an idiot.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I feel your pain. I'm just finally getting comfortable again from a bike meets SUV encounter in the fall. I was fine. The bike was put back together because I was appropriately insured.

I took my first ride this spring when I picked up my bike from the repair shop about an hour from home. Rather than take the highway I took a secondary road I know to have very little traffic, goes through bucolic farmlands and pleasantly curves its way through the landscape. It was a great ride.

The other thing I had thought to do to get back in the swing was an off-road day. There are a couple of off-road schools not too far from me with great instruction, well-prepared bikes and the opportunity to thrash around for the day away from cars on smaller, lighter bikes. I haven't got around to it yet, but I may still. I'm sure there's something similar in your area (or make a road trip up here if the floods in your area are getting you down) that would help you get your mojo back.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Uninsured motorist coverage

Moved from TX to Ok and had to switch ins on car. Got the uninsured coverage due to number of people in the area without DL or Ins. Had an illegal alien with no dl or ins total our car. When we notified the company they informed us that property damage losses were not covered and would pay up to the specified medical dmages only. The insurance lobby groups in Ok were able to prevent the sale of property loss coverage on uninsured moterist policys due to the high claims rate of illegals. Nothing was said of that when purchasing the policy. Be aware of state differences.
Glad to hear you are ok.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts