StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Y'all

Between my vacation/hunting trip and then a long weekend for Thanksgiving, the wee has been sitting for about 4 weeks give or take a day. For information sake the bike is a an 07 and it's got about 14K miles.

The problem: this morning I decided to ride her into work again, so as always I start her up while I am getting all my gear on. Well she didn't just fire off as usual? She kept cranking and cranking and cranking....and then cranked some more...(I left off every now and again to give the starter a break)...finally she started to barely run and sputter...then it died...so I cranked some more...and then she finally started to idle...Just cause I decided to softly give it some gas to check the engine and she would rev so I decided to go ahead and get the gear on...So I hop on the bike and roll her backwards down the driveway as usual, and give her a little quick snap of gas and she died again...cranked on it some more (took a lot less this time) and she fired up...I took off down the road and she seemed to run fine for my 25 mile commute (I went music-less and ear-plug less to make sure I could hear everything)

One side note, The starter seemed to sound different at after the first few cranks? Now this could be because I have never heard it crank this long? Or that it's been a few weeks since I have heard it start.

For information, before I had parked it four weeks ago, she had been ridden virtually everyday at least 50+ miles, and she's had 6K miles put on her since May. Also I put in some Sta-bil and she had the fuel tank topped off when I parked, but I put the Sta-bil in after I topped it off. I did however shake the bike to make the gas slosh around a bit and then I let her warm-up and run in the garage for a bit to try and get some Sta-bil through out my lines. I also keep my wee on a battery tender all time, or if it is going to sit for more than 5 days.

So to continue, after I got to work I wanted to see if it would start. Sure enough she sounded and started like normal? :confused:

So my question to all you out there is, is this normal? Did I do something wrong? Is there anything I should worry about? Since it seems normal now should I just ride it and not worry about this? What should I do differently when I park it for winter again to avoid such a problem? Any other comments?

Thanks Y'all for your help! :hurray:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Whenever the engine cranks but doesn't fire, it's a good idea to try opening the throttle to let in more air. The biggest cause is extra fuel finding its way into the intakes and causing flooding. It can happen from heat creating vapor in a short time or from sitting for a long time and leaking a bit through the system.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i seem to have the same problem with my 09,it starts when i give a couple throttle squrts at 2 bars on guage.
3 bars & over starts by the switch, must be a volume thing...
ed .g:biggrinjester:

·
Registered
223 Posts
This happened to me but my bike was only sitting for 6 days without being used. I was on my holidays and though the first three days were sunny, it rained REALLY hard the rest. ON the 3rd day, I fired it up just to see if it would start. I never have gone 3 days without using it so, I was curious. It started up perfect. 3 days later, after the huge rain (yes it's parked outdoors), it wouldn't start. Turned over, but no start. Opened the throttle and it started, but then the RPMs dropped ever so slowly and then stalled. Started it again, it I kept it at 4K for about 10 seconds and it was fine.

Got on and drove it to work that day, and I live on top of a 10KM hill so, it's more of a coast down. Once I got to the stop sign at the bottom, it stalled when I tried to proceed through. Started up fine again and off I went. The bike continued to seem bogged down as well, same issue I was having here "http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-specific-wee-strom/69499-question-about-bogging-engine.html"

After I brought the thing onto the highway and got'er going, it was great. All of this happened in a span of 10 minutes. It's as if once the system clears, it's good to go!

No idea about the bogging engine at the boarder crossing, but this time around, I think perhaps the rain got into the tank somehow - somehow. The no start - Like GW said, could be the fuel getting somewhere it's not wanted.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whenever the engine cranks but doesn't fire, it's a good idea to try opening the throttle to let in more air. The biggest cause is extra fuel finding its way into the intakes and causing flooding. It can happen from heat creating vapor in a short time or from sitting for a long time and leaking a bit through the system.
That's what I was thinking. Especially since I could smell an excess in gas. I've never had this happen on my fuel injected vehicles before. Is there anything I can do to prevent this?

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It is so easy to compensate for by opening the throttle, I wouldn't consider spending any time or money on prevention unless there was another problem such as reduced fuel economy too.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is so easy to compensate for by opening the throttle, I wouldn't consider spending any time or money on prevention unless there was another problem such as reduced fuel economy too.
Thanks GW! I will quit worrying about it then, and just keep riding it!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts