StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Battery voltage reading 12.8 across the terminals.
Turn the key and everything cycles.
Hit the starter button and headlights dim and the motor sounds like it turns maybe half a rotation and the relay rapid-fires until I let off the button.
Hit starter again and I just get the rapid clicks.

Battery is new this spring.
I rode it home in heavy rain the night before but it ran fine.
Any ideas?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,520 Posts
Make sure your kill switch is not set to "off".

·
Banned
593 Posts
Sounds like the battery to me too. Put the meter on the battery and watch it when you hit the switch. Does it sag down pretty far? A meter is basically no load on a battery. The starter, on the other hand, is a heavy load.
Check to make sure your terminals are clean and tight... another possibility.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be a loose / poor battery connection.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Terminals are tight.
Pulled it off the charger.
Got the bike started.
At idle the battery reads 13.00-13.1 or so.
If I just touch the throttle the reading jumps to 14.6 and stays there to 5,000rpm.

15 min later battery reads 12.8
I turn the key on and hit the starter and it won't start, battery showing 9.10 or so while cranking.
This is the second battery from this vendor, first wouldn't hold a charge over 12.5.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Seems to me that something isn't right in the charging system. Did you get out there and ride and get a good charge on that battery?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Terminals are tight.
Got the bike started.
If I just touch the throttle the reading jumps to 14.6 and stays there to 5,000rpm.

I turn the key on and hit the starter and it won't start, battery showing 9.10 or so while cranking.
This is the second battery from this vendor, first wouldn't hold a charge over 12.5.
I had the same issue a few weeks back. 12.7V while sitting from the 2 month old battery ridden daily. Less than 10V while turning over. I think the bike needs around 11V while trying to start.
I took the battery back and they replaced it for free.
Works fine now.

Ken

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
Terminals are tight.
Got the bike started.

If you had a charging problem you wouldn't be seeing the high voltages that you mentioned. I've seen regulator/rectifiers become intermittent and become problematic when they get hot, but I don't think that's your problem.

The fact that the battery is dropping to 9 volts under load is a good indicator that it's in trouble. It looks like the charging system is doing it's best but the battery won't hold a charge. I think your battery is finished. Sometimes even new betteries fail.

SS

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Bad cell

Sounds like one bad cell. Wet batteries usually have 6 cells, nominally 2 volts each, in series. One cell goes bad, battery may show 12 V with no load, but bad cell goes to 0 when loaded. Time for a new battery.

·
Premium Member
1,458 Posts
When it comes to batteries, you get what you pay for. Buy the best you can afford and you won't be sorry later.

SS

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Maybe

Anyone recommend a battery?

This is a Motocross brand supposedly made by Yuasa and sold by Tri-State battery for $60. This is the second bad one I've had in a year. Sometimes saving money doesn't save you any money. I'm ready to try something else.

http://www.tristatebattery.com/product_info.php?products_id=731
I've had great luck with Westco AGM batteries, which appears to be available for Wee and Vee. Have 3 of them in various vehicles, all holding up nicely. No worries about venting, levels, or acid spills either.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Whatever brand you get, I will recommend charging it to full capacity before installing. I know you don't have to but, it seems a battery will last longer if it starts off properly maintained. You may already do this or have a different outlook. Just my .02.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,039 Posts
Terminals are tight.
Got the bike started.

Sounds like you need to find a different vendor for a battery, bad battery.:confused:

·
Banned
593 Posts
Whatever brand you get, I will recommend charging it to full capacity before installing. I know you don't have to but, it seems a battery will last longer if it starts off properly maintained. You may already do this or have a different outlook. Just my .02.
Definitely agree with this. Also, don't get a battery that has been sitting on the shelf filled for any amount of time... buy it empty and add the acid.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts