Strom Trooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all!

I am just under 6 feet tall (5 foot 11 inches) and I notice that at any speed there is a bit of wind buffeting on my head (on my 2011 dl650).
Who else has noticed this and what did you do? I've thought about buying a new, taller windscreen or even a lower one to keep my helmet in the open air.

Your help is appreciated 馃檪

Registered
FWIW, I am the same height and had a K7 Wee (same generation as your L1) with a V-Stream windscreen and had almost no buffeting issues. It was so calm behind the screen that I would often forget to close my face shield when getting on the freeway, something I like to avoid since getting a bug in the face at 70MPH+ is bad news.

Caveat: Solving buffeting problems is a black art and what worked for one rider may or may not work for another. Good luck!

Premium Member

Registered
The links to it seem to have broken but hop over to: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-2002-2012/77619-wind-windscreen-buffeting-thread-2002-2003-dl1000-only-one.html It takes a while to get through it all but there is some good advice in there.

What I ended up doing is buying a little Puig clip on to go on the top, it moves it up just enough that the buffeting is usually not an issue for me (I am a little taller than you, but a lot of my height is in my torso). Some people have found good results by changing the mirrors (I am sort of going to try this one, by raising my bars but haven't tested it yet). Some switched the windscreen, madstat and Calsci seem to be the go tos there. An even better solution would be a madstat bracket + larger screen. If you keep an eye out you can probably pick up parts of them one at a time, although the brackets generally don't come that much cheaper 2nd hand.

Edit: That doesn't actually appear to be the correct thread for all the windscreen issues. I have found the correct thread in a few places but I can't seem to open it. It should be:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/40635-buffeting-windscreen-thread-04-11-dl650-04-12-dl1000-154.html (not start of the thread)
If the admins manage to fix it.

Registered
Another vote for the Puig. I found it to be the most cost-effective way of dealing with buffeting.

https://fortnine.ca/en/puig-clip-on-visor
I went with the single mount version link Type 2 I think. Price was part of the reason (trying to keep a combined purchase under a threshold so I didn't get stung with import duty). The two screens are slightly different colours when viewed edge on, I assume because they are made with different materials. Did you notice the same thing?

Registered
I didn't notice a colour difference, but as the Wee is tucked into a shed that is covered by a thick blanket of snow, I can't go and check.

Super Moderator
I added a Madstad bracket to my OEM screen and was impressed at the difference.
However, it was not until I bought a Givi Airflow screen that high speed touring became an absolutely relaxed endevour.
If you intend to do much touring and want to get out of the wind, as well as the buffeting, a larger and better designed screen is the way to go.

Attachments

Premium Member
I took my screen off & got clean air but wind hit me at chest level. Also looked funny. I'm 6'1". I tried a mini screen, can't remember who made it, was years ago but I cut it down to the tops of the brackets. Happy with it. Wind hits me about 1/2 way up the helmet but no buffeting. Bottom of the helmet is below the wind so it's not loud.

Registered
The MRA Vario seemed to be cheaper than the puig bolt unit. Does the same thing. A Laminar lip is another alternative to the add-on crowd.

Vendor
There is no beating the Givi airflow, and I am a proponent of that screen. It is simply the most sophisticated most effective screen available.

However, a bit of tribal knowledge is being lost over the years. It's a natural thing as people found the Madstad to work for them. But a half inch spacer under the bottom two bolts works well. Really well with the Givi D260ST or any other tall windscreen. I used the combination of D260ST and a half inch stack of washers under those two (longer) bottom bolts in the windscreen carrier for nine years and never thought about the need to do anything else. I'm 5'10" with a tall torso so i am probably about as tall as you when sitting.

This was a common mod before the Madstad. And while the Madstad is a good product if you need it, it also may not be necessary and you are going to need a taller screen anyway if you don't already have one. And if you do a stack of washers and longer bolts are available at Ace hardware for pennies.

If you need the Airflow contact us.

Registered
Hi all!

I am just under 6 feet tall (5 foot 11 inches) and I notice that at any speed there is a bit of wind buffeting on my head (on my 2011 dl650).
Who else has noticed this and what did you do? I've thought about buying a new, taller windscreen or even a lower one to keep my helmet in the open air.

Your help is appreciated 馃檪
I got a windshied from rifle.com Works great. tell Gary Larry sent you...

Registered
Screens are really (really) funny. What works for one doesn't work for the next rider even though they are the same height. Some of us never experience true buffeting. Some really don't know what buffeting is. Its not the same as wind noise, it is where the wind actually slaps our helmet around and produces a rumble sound. I used the MRA successfully on my F650 but I don't like the looks of the Vstrom version. Cal Sci tells a good story for the Wee so I gave it a try. Its not the cheapest but not the most expensive either. Like I said, they tell a good story. I like the looks, the construction and the engineering that went behind it. I like that the guy that runs the company actually runs a dl650. I like the little hole in the front. The Madstad bracket makes it infinitely variable so I'm still playing with it but its pretty good. I'd like to try the Laminar Lip, gets good reviews, but at $100 I don't know if it would be worth it. Its nowhere near a fairing, its just a windscreen. Whatever you try, good luck.

Super Moderator
The links to it seem to have broken but hop over to: https://www.stromtrooper.com/dl1000-2002-2012/77619-wind-windscreen-buffeting-thread-2002-2003-dl1000-only-one.html It takes a while to get through it all but there is some good advice in there.

What I ended up doing is buying a little Puig clip on to go on the top, it moves it up just enough that the buffeting is usually not an issue for me (I am a little taller than you, but a lot of my height is in my torso). Some people have found good results by changing the mirrors (I am sort of going to try this one, by raising my bars but haven't tested it yet). Some switched the windscreen, madstat and Calsci seem to be the go tos there. An even better solution would be a madstat bracket + larger screen. If you keep an eye out you can probably pick up parts of them one at a time, although the brackets generally don't come that much cheaper 2nd hand.

Edit: That doesn't actually appear to be the correct thread for all the windscreen issues. I have found the correct thread in a few places but I can't seem to open it. It should be:
https://www.stromtrooper.com/general-v-strom-discussion/40635-buffeting-windscreen-thread-04-11-dl650-04-12-dl1000-154.html (not start of the thread)
If the admins manage to fix it.
First link is still good "it's for 1000's, the OP has a 650" but the 2nd link was deleted by yours truly, there are sticky posts in model and model year sections.

Super Moderator
I removed my Madstad when I fitted Revkens used Givi to my V-Strom. For me, fully lowered is the way to go and unbelievably superior.
I recommend that you put the cost of a Madstad towards a Givi Airflow.

Thanks Ken.

Registered
Yes, running "naked", with no shield, fairing or body work is exhilirating. Its referred to as "clean" air; no buffeting. Feels great in the summer but for cool and cold weather I prefer a shield. I rode a full fairing touring bike for a couple of years and while its nice to ride in the rain and not get wet it makes the mechanical engine sounds very loud and I didn't feel I got the same joy from the ride.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts