StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all. i am going to buy a commuter at the end of september. i commute about 80 miles round trip per day rain or shine every working day. the commute is 40 miles into san fransisco and back again lane splitting quit a bit. i do it now on a 2006 gs500f that i have put 43500 miles on. the local bike dealer says the wee is too top heavy to do this commute on. he says the versys is better. tell me the truth. could i commute on the wee stock? or would i have to farkle the crud out of it just to make it sea worthy?

d

·
Registered
980 Posts
There are a ton of guys on here who do commutes like that or farther every day with Wees, and more than a few with Vees. I guess it comes down to what you want the bike for. If you are only using it for commuting, and don't plan to do anything else with it, you are only using about 15% of the Wee's capabilities. If you want to take a weekend camping trip, make a 1500 mile trek, or explore backroads that may or may not be paved, then I definitely would recommend the Wee over the Versys.
And I hear a lot of talk about the Wee being too top-heavy, mostly from those who have never ridden one. I have never had any issues with it myself, and I am not a huge guy (5'10", about 180 lbs). It just means adjusting how you handle it a bit, especially at very low speeds.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
My Wee is by no means top heavy...your dealer is full of bull. With the miles you put on I would go for the Wee's bullet proof engine and for the lane splitting traffic you ride in I would want the ABS brakes.

·
Registered
654 Posts
My Wee is by no means top heavy...your dealer is full of bull. With the miles you put on I would go for the Wee's bullet proof engine and for the lane splitting traffic you ride in I would want the ABS brakes.
+1 and then some.

Your dealer is a dumbass, like most of them are.

The v-strom is an incredible bike, and a perfect commuter.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Go look at them in person. Some of the immediate things that will stick out is the size difference. I'm big.. so the Strom fit me well and i like it size. The Versys is small in comparison. That can be good or bad depending on your size etc...

If you want to use the bike as a mild dual sport... some things to consider.. is the Kawi has an exposed exhaust on the bottom that will be easy to damage. It also has a 17" front wheel which really limits... or i think more accuratly eliminates dual sport tires for it. But that may not be your thing.. so that may not matter.

I've not ridden a Versys but i wouldn't doubt the Strom is more top heavy. Bigger tank.. more plastic up top.. etc... But unless your tiny and or have trouble holding up bikes already that shouldn't be anything to really consider.

You might look at the new Suzuki Gladius as a more direct comparison to the Versys.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Go ride both and see what you think. One great advantage of a tall bike is that you are sort of towering over the traffic. In most cases, my head is on the same level as pickup truck drivers which I LIKE when commuting.

Anyway - if you are talking heavy commuter miles - might want to consider a Wee with ABS. I don't think Versys has that option around here.

·
Registered
332 Posts
A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to try the Versys out. I have no f.kin' clue why people keep comparing the two, other then they're both motorcycles with standard seating. Here's my honest opinion.. the versys is a decent bike, and the low end it seems like it has a lot of power because it's relatively lighter then the strom. Top end it seemed like it had nothing. Sure it's light, smaller wheel base makes it feel a bit more twitchy like a sport bike, possibly better at handling the sweepers and twisties, that you sit upright on. I'd be more incline to compare it to the gsxf or the bandit 600 before I dropped the strom in there.

The strom has a slight bit more weight, but holds its own on highways and feels very planted, sweepers and twisties, gravel and fire roads. You can throw more bells and whistles aftermarket on it if you want..is it needed for commuting? You have a luggage rack built into the bike..so no. But the options are there.

I'd commute on either one for the amount of miles your commute is. Maybe you want the nibble smaller wheel base to weave in and out of traffic and lane split, personally the strom is good enough for my 80mile on way commute...all highway I might add.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I don't get why the versys has such long travel suspension, then they throw a 17" front wheel on there.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Ya, I would echo what other say about the dealer saying it's top heavy....perhaps he's more concerned about his wallet being heavy?

I just sold a ZRX1200 to buy a Wee, and find this bike a serious lightweight, in all aspects except the ride....it's a seriously well thought out bike.

I have ridden a bud's Versys, and ironically, it was the catalyst that made me sell my bike a few weeks ago, and bought the Wee. I had been thinking a bout a Wee for a while, and the Versys rides through my local twisties was enough to push me over the edge.

The Versys is a great little bike, can wheelie easy, and can eat up paved backroads with the best of them....BUT:

- It's got a buzzy engine....far more vibes than the silky smooth vtwin
- Has far less wind protection, and options to combat this
- Is not as comfy on longer rides

Those were my only quick take-aways I got from riding that bike. The buzzy parallel twin being the most annoying imo.

The Wee has a cult-like following for a reason....it does a lot really well, and moreso than the Versys imo.

The one thing the Versys has going for it....looks. While the Wee;s looks are certainly growing on me, the Versys is a sportier, more balanved look in my eyes.

That said, the real view is best seen from the seat, with bars in hand, and it's fantastic!

You certainly can't go wrong choosing either bike, but my feeling is that the Wee does everything as good or better + some.

·
Registered
332 Posts
- It's got a buzzy engine....far more vibes than the silky smooth vtwin

Those were my only quick take-aways I got from riding that bike. The buzzy parallel twin being the most annoying imo.
Ok...I'm not the only one that felt this apparently. The one I tried felt like it was a single on a lil' 250 rebel or something when I got up to any speed. The vibes would do the same to me on my commute..by the time I got to work I'd be pissed, shaking and ready to sell.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
Having been a salesman at a dealership..... i can say that most of the time a recomendation from a salesman usually has more to do with what "spiffs"(bonus's) are on what models than anything else. Bikesales guys make bunk!!! A bonus where i worked could be more than you regular paycheck for the week.

Not saying all advice is that way... but i wouldn't go by anything a salesman says. Which you obviously havn't taken to heart.. or you wouldn't be here... so good for you for doing your own research!!! :cool:

·
Registered
111 Posts
Funny - my buddy bought a Versys partly on my suggestion - he seems to love it, for the most part, except for the sore butt on longer ride issue...in fact, the Versys was on my radar because of it's general utility as well.

What sold me on my Wee? V-twin. A relatively buzzy parallel twin just wasn't in the cards for me.

And, as for the "top heavy" crap, I do admit it's not crap - if you let the relative visual bulk "up top" trick you into thinking that it's something that may be a real world factor! :)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Height

I love how tall my strom is for commuting. In heavy traffic I feel much safer being able to see that far ahead, and being seen that far ahead. I would think that would be doubly important for lane-splitting.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Having been a salesman at a dealership..... i can say that most of the time a recomendation from a salesman usually has more to do with what "spiffs"(bonus's) are on what models than anything else. Bikesales guys make bunk!!! A bonus where i worked could be more than you regular paycheck for the week.

Not saying all advice is that way... but i wouldn't go by anything a salesman says. Which you obviously havn't taken to heart.. or you wouldn't be here... so good for you for doing your own research!!! :cool:
I too worked as a motorcycle salesperson. Our spiffs must have sucked compared to everybody else because the most you could get was $100 if you sold a unit for full MSRP plus freight, prep, anal lube, and TTL. There wasn't much incentive to sell one model over another. Occassionally, we had some hold-over models that needed to go that would earn you an extra spiff, but it was never more than $100.

I think maybe this was a little better, at least for my soft sales style. I never pressured people into buying which wasn't what my managers wanted, but many of my customers thanked me for being easy-going. I found it easier to sell somebody on a bike if I wasn't worried about how much money I would make on one bike versus another. I could overcome somebody's buying objections much easier when I knew I had pointed them towards the right bike.

If I could go back and do my job all over, I simply wouldn't. Never in my life was I so miserable.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Versys vs Wee

I don't get the comparison, the bikes are so different. I rode my brother-in-laws new Versys last weekend, while he rode his BMW K1200. We found some twistys and rode them hard and fast, with me wishing I was on my wee all the time.

The Versey is a new one, green paint if that turns you on, fired every time and rode well, never used much throttle as the top end was calling for us to use it. Never did. You could tell it would wind out just fine. But she shook and rattled, buzzed too, and the laminar lip helped head baffle not a lot. The short wheel base made me think I was on my cb 250 Nighthawk. Did I say the versey was short...and green? Light too,

But I kept comparing the versey to my wee and was so glad I went with the Wee. No comparison in biikes. My brother in law offered to buy my wee after we stopped riding(had to call AAA to haul off the BMW). The Versey is a nice little bike for sporting around a bit in town, but the Strom is a serious bike that can do just about anything and go anywhere. Quieter, easier handling, better balanced, smooth throttle and good torque band.

Yhe Versey seemed like a different kind of bike....a dirt bike maybe. By comparison the wee strom was elegant.

///////

·
Registered
132 Posts
One of the guys I work with commutes on a Wee and does 60 miles a day round trip. He gets 250+ miles per tank and has a rear trunk he keeps all his riding gear in along with a rainsuit.
He also lives a few miles from paved roads so in his mind it's the perfect commuter.

·
Registered
705 Posts
hey all. i am going to buy a commuter at the end of september. i commute about 80 miles round trip per day rain or shine every working day. the commute is 40 miles into san fransisco and back again lane splitting quit a bit. i do it now on a 2006 gs500f that i have put 43500 miles on. the local bike dealer says the wee is too top heavy to do this commute on. he says the versys is better. tell me the truth. could i commute on the wee stock? or would i have to farkle the crud out of it just to make it sea worthy?

d
Nothing a dealer hates more than having a bunch of new bikes sitting on the showroom floor at the end September. I don't know of any dealers around here that would have a Wee to sell you by then. The dealer may tell you anything to move that slime green Versys.

The great thing about about a Versys is that parked next to one, a Wee is a really great looking bike.

·
Registered
7 Posts

d
Last saturday at the dealer, '09 Wee was sitting right next to a green Versys in the showroom. I had researched both bikes thoroughly, but after sitting on them both I new the Wee was for me. Versys riding position is much less upright with more foreward-lean and high footpegs. Needless to say, I bought the Wee that day. My advice, if you're commuting long distances (+10miles), focus on comfort...you'll know which bike is for you once you sit on it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I commute every day on the Wee; no lane splitting though. Yes it's a bit top heavy, but you get used that pretty quickly.

For what it's worth... S&S Powersports in Jeffersonville, IN had 2 Wees (orange and grey) on the floor last weekend.

R

·
0 Posts
I know U prolly dont split lanes at speed all the time, but I have found that if U do a fork brace is nice. If U buy the Strom I would make this one of my first farkles. I have never ridden the Versys but there are a few running around here, and thier owners seem as happy with thier bike as I do mine. I would look into the aftermarket parts and make sure that there is a good supply so U can make the bike the way U want it. There is more places to buy more junk than U will ever be able to fit on your Strom. Just my .02 from a fellow commuter. As for the top heavy part, coming from a KLR this thing is nimble, but if U are coming off of something else I dont know, but I dont have a problem with it.

RR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts