StromTrooper banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The sticker reads 33/Front & 41/Rear. The manual reads 33/Front & 36/Rear for solo ride. What are you Stromtroopers running? These are stock Trail Wings.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I pretty much run 39/42 unless playing off road.

I've found on many tires, especially the tourances, stock trailwings and several other tires that the front tire will cup horribly at 33psi and even still at 36psi. I think you'll find a lot of guys have had the same experience.

I'm a pretty aggressive rider and have no problems running the 39/42psi.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
The only time it's worth running lower pressure is if you are running with a group of sports bikes and desperately need the corner grip to make up for their straight line speed - OR if you are planing on a mixed seal/dirt trip, where again the extra grip off road is worth the odd wear patterns.

Agree with the other posters, if you run 33F/36R the tires will wear oddly.

Pete

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
Roughly 40 psi front, roughly 42 psi rear.

Factory recommendations are way to low for front, and I think low for rear as well.

..Tom
That depends on the tire; I found them to be too low for the front trailwing but dead-on for the battlewing. I always keep the rear at 40 becasue I carry stuff.

The only time it's worth running lower pressure is if you are running with a group of sports bikes and desperately need the corner grip to make up for their straight line speed[...]
Lowering pressure will NOT get you any extra street grip; in fact, it's quite dangerous. Lower pressures work with race-tires, but generally if you're going to run a street tire hard, you should increase the pressure.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
That depends on the tire; I found them to be too low for the front trailwing but dead-on for the battlewing. I always keep the rear at 40 becasue I carry stuff.

Lowering pressure will NOT get you any extra street grip; in fact, it's quite dangerous. Lower pressures work with race-tires, but generally if you're going to run a street tire hard, you should increase the pressure.
Not with the roads and temperatures around here. There's quite a bit more grip at 33 than the 38 I usually run.
Much below that, and yeah, I'll agree it starts getting interesting :)

Pete

·
Registered
21 Posts
I met a tire rep who spent many years working the racing circuits for Metzler. His advise: run the rear at what the tire is rated at and the front -2 lbs.

·
Banned
4,057 Posts
There's quite a bit more grip at 33 than the 38 I usually run.
Well, isn't 33 what Suzuki recommends? so you're nor "really" lowering your tire pressure; you're just not increasing it.

I met a tire rep who spent many years working the racing circuits for Metzler. His advise: run the rear at what the tire is rated at and the front -2 lbs.
Whas this perhaps in the day of spoked wheels, drum brakes and the old style nylon carcass bias-ply tires (as opposed to the new steel "radial" bias-ply tires)? Was he talking about street tires or racing tires?

My track car was a daily driver; I ran it at 28front, 32 rear on the street. On the track, if I ran it on street rubber, I upped that to 42 front, 65(!) rear; with track tires, I'd run between 18 and 22 front, and between 26 and 28 rear (depending on the speeds achieved for that track). The type of tire and the temperature you plan to ruin (not a typo) it at are big determinants to how much air you're going to put in.

Sidewalls deform when cornering; the harder you corner the more they deform, which affects the size and snhape of the contact patch.
Bike tires take this into account and that's how they maximize their contact patch. Too stiff a sidewall means it won't deform as much and won't provide optimal grip. too soft a sidewall means it'll deform too much and won't provide optimal grip.

How sticky a tire is has nothing to do with how soft the tire is (air pressure); it has to do with how soft the rubber compound is.

·
Registered
177 Posts
It might be a good racing approach but not for the street - like the others I run the rear a pound or two higher and the front at least 3-5 lbs. higher than spec'd. Feels very stable...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts