StromTrooper banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a barely used 2006 Wee recently (only 400 miles on it) and found it had rust in the tank. I've been riding it quite a bit recently, and it started exhibiting some very strange symptoms.

After riding for a while, the bike will start to "surge". I will have the throttle rolled on, but it will act like I just rolled off and the RPMs will dip drastically and the throttle simply won't do anything. Then all of a sudden the bike will surge ahead like I just gave it a huge rev. Once this starts, the surging continues until I basically put the bike away for the day and come back another day.

From doing various forum searches, it seems like it could be a throttle body issue, but with the rust in the tank, I am wondering if it is merely a fuel system issue and I need to clean out all the rust, check the filter, etc.

Appreciate any help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
894 Posts
Take care of cleaning the Fuel System before you worry about anything else. Chances are that will solve all the problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there a way to clean the fuel filter if rust is in it? From what I have been reading, it is nigh impossible to access the actual fuel filter itself...
 

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
Joined
·
38,047 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update:

So I took the bike over to the local Suzuki shop (Karn's Performance in Mechanicsburg PA), and they ran it through a battery of tests and found that the voltage was all over the place after running for a while. They determined it was a bad Stator and Regulator/Rectifier. All of those things sounded expensive, and they confirmed as much, so I drove it back 15 minutes to my place and mulled over what to do next. Upon said mulling, I decided what the hell, I'll have a crack at it myself.

I found a salvaged stator coil from an '05 SV650, and a salvaged Regulator/Rectifier from an '05 V-Strom. The total for both cost me maybe a little over $100. The actual job really wasn't bad, just took it slow and methodical. I had (still have) some concern, as neither component that I removed from my bike actually looked bad in any way but I also know electronics can go bad internally too so I might try to test them later at a separate point.

The little bit of riding with the bike went great, but I will have much more to do before I state it as a complete success!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top