StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Fellow Stommers,

Mostly an observation here. I was driving down a dirt trail along Lake Lillooet south of Pemberton (BC Strommers know prob know this one).

Anyhow, the road was had serious washboard weathering. As it was a one lane road, right on the lakebank, was gravely, and had alot of blind turns, I was going about 15 to 20 mph (40 kph?). At this speed my windsheild and front fairing were vibrating like crazy.

Well, let me rephrase, they were V-V-V-V-VIBRATING R-R-R-REALLY B-B-B-B-BADLY.

So bad that after half a click or so I was worried about my windsheild cracking. So I turned around and headed back to the highway I had just come from.

Wondering if any others had similar experiences or possible remedies?

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
the trick for wash board is too go faster, it will smooth out alot, all so if safe too do so stay too the outside of curves as there will be less of it there, sounds strange but the faster you go the smoother washboard gets

·
Clever Title
515 Posts
I almost never ride on washboard roads, but I drive on them frequently at work. In my experience, old, worn-out shocks offer a better ride than newer, stiffer shocks. So maybe adjusting your preload would help. No promises.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Washboard

Yes, I agree, faster is better on washboard. Works the same in a car as well as I found out years ago navigating for my friend Don in car rallies. Frozen logging roads are awesome fun in a nicely set up rally car or light sidehack rig with lots of torque. Can you say ROOST? I knew you could. Helps also to get up on the pegs if it gets real bad and you find yourself getting into a rythm of sorts after awhile. Of course its a lot more fun on a real dirt bike with long suspension and knobbies.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I deal with it every day, speed is the key.

The cagers hate me as I blast by them but 15-20 mph is a nightmare, 40-45 is perfect.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Bought a V-strom with plans for occasional logging road use. Big let down on first dirt road ride. Didn't expect much but front forks are terrible. Clank over the smallest pot hole. Arms get a real workout! May try revalving forks If can find some info. Glad I didn't sell my DRZ400 like I was planning!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I found that backing way off on the preloads and keeping the tire pressures in the mid to low 20's made a HUGE difference in how the Strom feels on dirt roads. I now keep a shorty screw driver in my tail bag to adjust the forks, I wish they had knobs.

It bottoms out a lot easier and you have to use you legs to "help" the bike out on bigger hits, but no more clunks and much more control.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
SonicSprings....huuuuuge improvement in all riding conditions.

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I found that backing way off on the preloads and keeping the tire pressures in the mid to low 20's made a HUGE difference in how the Strom feels on dirt roads. I now keep a shorty screw driver in my tail bag to adjust the forks, I wish they had knobs.

It bottoms out a lot easier and you have to use you legs to "help" the bike out on bigger hits, but no more clunks and much more control.
thats what i thought ,big knobs like on the back shock would be nice

1 - 9 of 9 Posts