StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:thumbup: I'm new to Stromtrooper and wanted to share my freshly finished wee-strom project. I'm extremely pleased with the the finished look and performance.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
:thumbup: I'm new to Stromtrooper and wanted to share my freshly finished wee-strom project. I'm extremely pleased with the the finished look and performance.

More details please. Is the right side bag closer to the bike than possible before? Is rear wheel suspension travel compromised? Did you fabricate the new exhaust? If so what tools and how? If not where did you buy the parts?

I could go on and on and on....

·
Premium Member
3,735 Posts
Very nicely done. There's a lot of good looking fab work on the back of that bike.

·
Registered
171 Posts
More details please. Is the right side bag closer to the bike than possible before? Is rear wheel suspension travel compromised? Did you fabricate the new exhaust? If so what tools and how? If not where did you buy the parts?

I could go on and on and on....

This...........

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I built the rack, luggage mount and the exhaust myself. The muffler is two open center stainless car exhaust tips welded together with internal chambers and ends (All guesstamated to what flow rate it would give). I used stainless flexible exhaust tube wrapped with exhaust wrap to go from stock pipes to the muffler. The sound is amazing with a deep growl thats not very loud. The bike has the same performance if not better than stock. The racks I made out of 1/2'' steel tubing bent with a tubing bender bought on E-Bay (I love that E-Bay). I made an aluminum pan to replace the rear fender assembly. To keep from getting cooked buns I wrapped the muffler with exhaust wrap also. As for tools, the only thing special I used was a Tig welder. (aluminum, mild steel and stainless had to be welded). The biggest and hardest tool to use was patience because this was all eyeball engineering done in my garage. I had posted more pictures in the picture gallery. The main reason I started this project was because I don't like how far out luggage hangs from the wee. I was able to keep everything in close, which helps the looks of the bike. I have the bike very low ( I'm kind of short) and the exhaust pipe will rub when close to max travel only when riding 2 up. I'm adding a stiffer rear spring to help that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
All I can say is bravo. You must be one talented craftsman, the reack and tail lights and bags all go together very well and look amazing . I love the look of undertail exhaust and what you have done really helps what I think is one of the less attractive things on my wee, the big plastic goomba rear assy.

I am new to VStrom but been lurking on here for years. Bought a beemer and now I finally found a slightly used wee that I'm beginning to develop. I want to keep it simple and light weight and exhaust is one way to do that.

You have inspired me to keep looking and thinking. The rack is great looking .

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
NICE RACK, DUDE!

Even just typing that ---------- it's all wrong...

I want to say it again, but can't bring myself to do it...

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Very well done! :thumbup:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Very Nicely done :hurray: i am jealous

·
Registered
185 Posts
:hurray:
That looks really very nice and simple. Great job and congratulations-!
Now I'm going back to see if you gave us some tips of encouragement. It must cut down on the width is my first thought which is good being my second thought.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
I admire guys like you with the skills and tools to pull off projects like that. The asymmetry of the Wee's butt is definitely an aesthetic sticking point, and a functional one as well when it comes to luggage. Your solution is certainly the correct one, though beyond the reach of most of us mere mortals.

Nicely done!

·
Registered
392 Posts
exhaust

Undertail exhausts look really cool, there are issues though. Often the passenger isn't a happy camper sitting over the exhaust specially on a hot summer day. Sometimes the electronics/battery under the seat arn't either.

The early Triumph Sprint got a bit too warm that way too, hard to make the heat just go away.

Bill H.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Pretty damn slick.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Well done! That looks really good man. Very impressed by the fab work.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well done man.

You lost me on the muffler you used.... aftermarket auto part? 2 to a 1 ? Or two modded to be one wide one?

Dave

·
Registered
662 Posts
Very nice!

Underseat exhausts seemed to be a mid 2000's fad that died out. Apparently the heat is hard to work around, but i've always liked the look. Indeed that is some fine work, and you should be proud.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Looks like a job well done. The rack looks great and I like underseat exhaust (for looks, anyway, never had a bike with one), but I'm not sure I'm sold on the lights. You have some pictures from a few more angles? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
3,132 Posts
Makes the back end look very symmetrical. Nice work......think you'll get some major steam vapor clouds when riding in the rain [like pourin' water on sauna rocks!]??

·
Registered
2,452 Posts
That is impressive work.

I'd love to take a few inches off my Vee's wide ass. When the Givi bags are installed, it's wider than my car!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts