StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all;
I'd like to put a 16 tooth front drive sprocket on my 2019 650 v-strom to lower the revs at highway speeds. I've heard on this forum that you can get a (possibly quieter) rubber mounted sprocket that is also used on another Suzuki bike (possibly GSX 600?). My Suzuki dealer/shop would like the info on this sprocket so they can order it, it wasn't something they knew about. Anybody?
Thx, Jon

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, thought I'd check back in and see if anyone could help in any way with the main issue here. I'm trying to lower the revs to stay out of the 5K and above cruising range... but.
I'm not sure I can keep a 2019 bike, essentially new, that vibrates through the bars from 5K RPM all the way to it's shaking 10K redline. I'd like to use some of the power, and I guess I just got a lemon as my shop says its "the same as other 650 Stroms. " Really disappointed because otherwise I love the bike, (bought it with 700 miles on it, 2300 now) but I don't think it's unrealistic to want to travel on the highway at 70 without the whole bike buzzing. And,no, I don't have Givi crashbars and it had it's throttle bodies checked as well as it's engine mounts/bolts (whew... sorry!).
Maddening to hear people talking about cruising at 80 all day, etc. Just buzzin' everywhere here :(

·
Registered
2020 650 Vstrom Adventure
71 Posts
I just back from a 1500 mile trip 80 per cent at 75-80 mph and vibration is not a word I would use when describing the ride experience. Who had the bike before you and why was their only 700 miles on it? Something is amiss.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi, according to the shop, the prior buyer swapped over to a BMW, and they"did this before." I tend to trust the shop, I just think they don't want to dig into the bike. It runs perfectly up to 5K, the vibes start around there in any gear and grow until I give up from fear of cooking the engine. If I pull in the clutch while going, say, 70 on the highway the vibes disappear, so its the engine, not wheels, etc. Throttle bodies synched, all bolts torqued, seems stable and aligned, chain lubed/OK, oil changed a few hundred ago, etc. Really depressing. I want my VFR back, with ABS! Otherwise love this bike. I'll have them look at it again but I'm not happy. I traded an fj-09 for it and thought I left behind my vibes... OK, I will leave my podium and leave you guys at peace.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Hi all;
I'd like to put a 16 tooth front drive sprocket on my 2019 650 v-strom to lower the revs at highway speeds. I've heard on this forum that you can get a (possibly quieter) rubber mounted sprocket that is also used on another Suzuki bike (possibly GSX 600?). My Suzuki dealer/shop would like the info on this sprocket so they can order it, it wasn't something they knew about. Anybody?
Thx, Jon
This is why I like the online forums. For info sharing. Like if the Gixxer 600 sprocket will fit, etc.

I suppose they have to go by the rule book and nothing else.

·
Registered
252 Posts
See above for options. Your OEM sprocket has the rubber insert.
Something is wrong to cause the vibes. Mine (2014) had irritating vibes above 5700 RPMs, also no crash bars. Tightening bolts did not help, but adjusting the motor mounts per a thread on this forum did help. There are adjusters hidden under lock nuts, so its not obvious if the adjusters are loose. Mine were finger tight, should be a bit under 10 ft lbs, not very tight. Nuts covering adjusters are around 40 ft lbs, which is what the dealer probably looked at.

Mark

·
Registered
949 Posts
It sounds like you should look into checking the motor mounts. I put a 16t on my dl650 and like it. I live most of the year in a flat place and have never had a passenger on my Wee. If I lived in a high mountainous area and/ or carried a heavy passenger then I probably wouldn't like the 16t spkt. I have had spkts with rubber on them and without rubber. I can't tell any difference in noise. maybe if you had a real, real quiet bike you could tell the difference.

·
Premium Member
1,934 Posts
The rubber in the sprocket is just a slight cushion from the jerk when shifting. Shouldn't make a bit of difference at highway speeds.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just ordered the 16 t sprocket, scheduled to have it put on. Also will have them check the adjusters under the lock nuts. Strangely, the OEM hard bags seemed to help lessen the vibes... go figure. Thanks to all for your responses.

·
Premium Member
538 Posts
Hi all;
Thx, Jon
sprocketcenter.com I like the 250 lower RPMs with mine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
OK, thought I'd check back in and see if anyone could help in any way with the main issue here. I'm trying to lower the revs to stay out of the 5K and above cruising range... but.
I'm not sure I can keep a 2019 bike, essentially new, that vibrates through the bars from 5K RPM all the way to it's shaking 10K redline. I'd like to use some of the power, and I guess I just got a lemon as my shop says its "the same as other 650 Stroms. " Really disappointed because otherwise I love the bike, (bought it with 700 miles on it, 2300 now) but I don't think it's unrealistic to want to travel on the highway at 70 without the whole bike buzzing. And,no, I don't have Givi crashbars and it had it's throttle bodies checked as well as it's engine mounts/bolts (whew... sorry!).
Maddening to hear people talking about cruising at 80 all day, etc. Just buzzin' everywhere here :(
i bought a 2015 dl650 this summer and changed just the front sprocket to a 16 tooth, got it from the dealer for 31bucks and it dropped the rpm by about 500 rpm AND got the speedo closer to actual. instead of being over by 9kmh at 110 kmh it is now only 2 kmh over when matching the gps. so longer legs on the hwy and truer speedo. now when I cruise at a buck twenty on the hwy it isn't grinding away and has lots of juice left if you want to open it up.the gear i got was all steel and I didn't notice any difference in the noise.......hope this helps.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oldsofty, I'm headed to my shop in a few days to get a 16 tooth put on. I just returned from a 2 day 500 mile ride up the coast of Maine to Canada and back w/a friend on a Tracer 900 GT. The Strom is smoothing out with the help of more miles, Pro Grip grips and some new, padded gloves. Still buzzy, but tolerable. My pal was distressed that the Strom had "...more personality than the Tracer, it seems to love backroads and is a blast." So, he really liked it. I enjoyed the Tracer during the swap, and it has it's own type of vibration and (even tho he has an expensive aftermarket seat) is really uncomfortable. The boys were jammed up against the tank, no thanks. Nice bike overall, tho.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I live in the middle of British Columbia and getting cool here now. going out for a couple hundred mile ride today, (to get some fresh buns at a bakery in a nearby town) anything for a ride on a day off, haha. I put the heated grips on when I bought the bike and they are a great hundred dollar investment. I have the bike pretty much farkled out the way I want it except for getting the seat done and I want to put on some baja designs fog lights. I have put on 8000 miles since the end of june when I bought the bike and am getting used to the noises and feels. I have had cruisers all my life so this is a change for me but a nice one...........

·
Premium Member
3,159 Posts
Every rider has different perceptions on what 'vibration' feels like to them. I wonder if 'jonmue' considers the complete lack of any vibration to be the only acceptable state? I can only say that on my 650, there are vibrations, but V-twin vibrations are very different from other engine configs. The original poster never mentions if his bike is stock, or what mods have been done to it - for that can be quite important. Does your bike even have the handlebar end weights currently installed? I will say that when I changed from the stock handlebar, to a wider and higher steel bar (more mass) it did reduce the subtle vibes my 650 puts out. I'm pretty fussy about vibration, and after living on inline-fours for decades, the v-twin 650 is blissfully non-tingly (it still vibes, but they're unobjectionable and quite soothing). As other people mentioned, one loose mystery bolt could be the cause of this very un-vstrom-like vibration complaint.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I agree that everyone has a different perception of engine vibration. I guess my Strom could be an 'average' Strom, I'd only know by riding others (which I want to do). I do have bar end weights but no other mods. I've had a lot of inline 4 liter bikes and I never noticed vibration which obviously drives others nuts. However, both my vintage Guzzi and Ducatis never vibrated like the Strom. I guess I'll just accept it as I really like the bike otherwise... (still gonna look for that loose 'mystery bolt').

·
Premium Member
1,183 Posts
I swapped my very nicely running DL650 for a buddies FJ-09 for an afternoon. His comment was he doesn't know how I can put up with all the vibration. I like the torquey V twin vibe and didn't like the soulless parallel 3. To each there own.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
LOL soulless! My riding pal has an fj-09 and he says it's "a soulless, homogenized bucket of little noises and stuff... but I like it"!... It's fine, a really nice bike, actually. I had a couple of VFR's, and man that v4 had soul...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts