StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have owned my 2006 Wee (first motorcycle for this forty year old) for about a year, and had the misfortune to get pancaked between two cars yesterday on the commute home. I was on Braddock Road in the Northern Virginia area, stopped in traffic at a light about 50 feet from the left turn cutout into my neighborhood. When all of a sudden I am looking at the sky, then looking DOWN on the trunk of the car in front of me watching the OEM windshield snapping off and flying into the grass median, then I am on my right side on the pavement.

I do hope that whatever the gentleman who hit me was doing was important. After determining that I still had the use of all my limbs I got up, expressed some choice words at said driver, then apologized profusely to the lady whose car I had been pushed into.

Got the bike back up to assess the damage a few minutes later: Rear tire guard was very bent, as was the license place, but the plastics snapped back into place (mostly) after being released from the tire. Front end isn't good, windshield mounts snapped, nose plastics cracked and scraped. My Givi engine guards saved the right side (and my right leg) from too much cosmetic damage, although my hand guard snapped off. Also took some bending to the muffler.

All in all I was fairly lucky. Was wearing full gear (as always): XDR Commander jacket (in bright yellow, very stealthy), over-calf Tourmaster boots, Sliders Kevlar pants, gloves, and a EXO-700 helmet. My instructors always impressed upon me to cover any skin I planned on keeping, and its darn good advice. Had a bruised & swollen right knee (I think the bike hit it on the way down before the engine guard caught it), sore left knee (was resting on it when hit), very mild abrasion on the right forearm, and a sore neck. Any crash you can walk away from...

Was thankfully able to ride the bike the last 1000 feet to my house after we had finished exchanging information.

What do I look out for during the insurance processing? Beyond the obvious things to fix (plastics, bent metal, tires) I am concerned that the frame may have gotten torqued/bent and the long-term implications on handling, performance, maintenance. What do I expect to happen from here?

Ride safe out there. Now I just need to convince my motorcycle-hating spouse that there is still a place for the bike in the garage!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called 911, and they indicated that if there were no injuries that the police were not necessary, just exchange information and drive on. I took many pictures to document the scene, location, and the damages to the vehicles.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Make sure you're there when the bike gets inspected by the insurance company(theirs). Best to do it at your favorite bike shop as they can find things that you may not see. When I had my Tiger inspected the dealer mechanic found that the headlight bucket bolts were broken off even though the insurance guy didn't see it. I got enough money to fix everything right. The insurance companies all try to skimp.

·
Registered
122 Posts
get well

Glad you were not hurt. My wee got totalled last friday. (See post)
I got hit by a dingbat making a right turn from the center lane. Unfortunately, I was in her way. But, ATGATT kept me from more serious injury.
I hope it works out with the spouse on the "room in the garage" issue.

Riding is my therapy. Especially long trips. Riding the million dollar hwy or camping at Zion nat. park, etc etc

·
Registered
126 Posts
That's really close to home... literally -- I live near Ravensworth and Braddock Rd. :-(

I'm glad you're OK, and I will take your experience as my regular reminder that no matter how hot it gets (and yesterday was almost 110, right?), ATGATT is the way to go.

Hope you can get back on the road soon!

·
Registered
161 Posts
Sorry about your misfortune and glad to know you didnt suffer any serious injuries. I often wonder about the near misses from the careless motorists and there are many theres no doubt that we weren't even aware of as we ride. Any take aways from this? You had ATTGATT going on which demonstrates your desire to diminish the risk but was there anything else you could have done to have avoided this altogether and to help keep this sort of thing from occurring again? This would be important to address especially w/regard to your wife - to help allay her fears.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I called 911, and they indicated that if there were no injuries that the police were not necessary, just exchange information and drive on. I took many pictures to document the scene, location, and the damages to the vehicles.
No injury?

"Had a bruised & swollen right knee (I think the bike hit it on the way down before the engine guard caught it), sore left knee (was resting on it when hit), very mild abrasion on the right forearm, and a sore neck."

Maybe no major injuries requiring immediate medical response, but you WERE injured by somebody who broke the law. I'm very glad you walked away and hopefully you won't suffer any long term affects from the crash, but you never know. I would have insisted on a police report. The guy who hit you should have been cited and his insurance company should be the one paying all the claims.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I had almost the same scenario happen to me last year on my Triumph Rocket in Manassas. Take lots of pictures of every bump and bruise and scratch on the bike. The initial estimate I got from Geico was $3500. His itemized list wasn't very complete, but they were good about paying up when other things were pointed out. Almost nothing on a bike is "fixable", everything damaged gets replaced instead. Finally gave up on it after $10,200... There will be more damage than you see right now, I can almost guarantee that. Glad you're OK!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Satch-
Good points, but at the time I was hopped up on adrenaline and not feeling anything but fine (albiet shakey.) After a few hours the adrenaline wore off and I began noticing the aches, more this morning when I woke up.

Allonsye-
I thought about that a lot, and the only thing that I could have done better was to monitor my rearview mirror. I was in gear (ready to scoot), but it had been about 10 seconds since I had stopped, and traffic on that road is very heavy at rush hour. I thought that the area behind me was solidly filled with cars, but failed to visually check that fact (that's what happens when you assume.)

·
Registered
15,542 Posts
I crashed out of state and a friend came and towed me home. I had dismantled the bike in the garage looking for the damage and the Ins investigator came to the house and did his look see. They offered basic bottom blue book to buy the bike and I took a lesser figure to keep the bike.
The other, re guilty party, drivers INS paid me for the bike and the damage to my gear and accessories. I just got a total offer for my medical and Pain and Suffering settlement.
It's taken a year because one DR office didn't respond to inquiries from the INS co. I had to go the the office and demand the records.
Now I can afford to go buy two, count them 2 new ADV Wee's.:mrgreen:
I'm keeping and riding the original instead.:yesnod:
I did have a witness and police report citing the other driver for vehicle violations.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The good news is that the other insurance agency has accepted full liability (including injury) for the accident. After talking to the clinic nurse here at the Navy Yard (I am active duty) I am going to go down to the Ft. Belvoir ER and get checked out. Anyone have any experience with Fairfax Cycles in Fairfax, VA? The Insurance agency told me to take the bike to any shop to get a repair/damage estimate prior to their adjustor coming out.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't have any experience with Fairfax Cycles, but I think I'd see if they have worked on many Wee's first. If not, then you may want to consider taking it to a Suzuki dealership since they should have experience with them and may spot problems another shop may not (I know, I know, it's a big assumption).

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Don't take your bike to a shop that might give the insurance company a special rate and give you poor service. Take it to a Suzuki franchise shop.

Separate the damage to the bike and your protective gear from a possible medical claim including pain & suffering. If you think the bike might be totalled, collect info on the local prices that bikes like yours actually sell for, including any improvements you put on the bike. This is almost always higher than the values shown in NADA or other guides. When you feel that the amount offered is fair, read all the paperwork they give you very closely and understand it all, then sign if it is all OK. Keep the medical claim open.

If you have medical problems in the future, even if the Navy covers your treatment, you are owed something for your pain. Take all the time you need to get well and sort this out.

The other driver's insurance company people are NOT your friends. Their job is to close the claim at the lowest payout. You might see if your insurance agent will be any help to you, but your only friend in this matter is the guy looking out of the mirror at you when you shave.

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Dam shame. I had a friend hurt badly this way.

Not to be a Monday morning quarter back....but, if you want to take something away from this missfortune...and the OP did absolutely nothing wrong here...

I leave at least a car length of space between me and the car in front at any stop. Then, I am glued to my mirrors until the light goes green or the car behind me stops. Worst case, I still get hit but have 20 feet before the car in front is involved, or, I can pop the clutch and ride up between cars in front of me. Good gear save another ass.

·
Registered
335 Posts
How are your forks NOT bent?

Even if they slide up and down okay, the bend will likely be up at lower triple tree. You then have a reduced rake to your front suspension, which is a high-speed wobble waiting to happen.

I would pull the fork tubes out and lay a straight-edge to them.

Also, pull the fairing sides off and look for any bulges or tears in the frame where the extruded sections are welded to the forged section of the steering head. Again, that will cause a reduced rake.

SOMETHING gave when the bike was sandwiched between two cars.
You may not have found it yet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
The good news is that the other insurance agency has accepted full liability (including injury) for the accident. After talking to the clinic nurse here at the Navy Yard (I am active duty) I am going to go down to the Ft. Belvoir ER and get checked out. Anyone have any experience with Fairfax Cycles in Fairfax, VA? The Insurance agency told me to take the bike to any shop to get a repair/damage estimate prior to their adjustor coming out.
The other insurance company HAS to accept responsibility - their customer screwed up big time and rear ended you while you were standing completely still. You are not at fault at all. If you were in a car this would be thousands of dollars to fix your car and maybe the same for the car in front of you.

Going to the ER is fine to start, but maybe find a private orthopedic surgeons office to check you out completely. There is no way to know if the knee, neck or any other injury will act up later on. But the cost for repairing the bike is pennies compared to a future medical issue or operation.

Get an honest lawyer to determine what your total medical, property and other damages are. And let the lawyer handle the insurance company - don't speak to them yourself. That is what they want you to do. Their job is to close every case as cheaply as possible, and they will make you feel they are on your side when they are not. Use a lawyer. Insurance companies lawyers expect to deal with other lawyers - thats how the system works.

This is not a minor fender bender . . . you were hit by a car while stationary on your bike. Even though you are not seriously hurt and the gear worked, it could have been a tragedy... treat this event properly. Good luck.

Craig

·
Registered
56 Posts
I am in the area and have ridden that road many times. I also deal with insurance companies from the bodyshop side of things. It does not matter what the initial estimate says is wrong with the bike. When it goes to get fixed, the shop should fix everything and if it is needed, they will submit a supplement to the insurance company, which happens more often than not. AVOID Manassas Honda Kawasaki Suzuki...they have messed up my bike as well as at least one other belonging to a friend and I have currently have an open complaint with the Better Business Bureau involving the Manassas dealer. It doesn't matter if you use another shop that isn't a dealer, because they will still fix your bike properly.

As others have said, make sure you get the medical part looked at and leave it open as long as possible. And the lawyer thing is up to you. I would see what number the insurance comes back with and then go from there. In addition to the medical bills that will need to be paid, you have time out of work for those appointments, as well as pain and suffering that can not be undone, so make sure they compensate you for that.

If you have any other questions you think I may be able to help with, feel free to PM me.

And it is too late now, but I would have had the police come and cite the other driver. People need to be held accountable, otherwise drivers won't get any better.

Today alone I had two cars merge into my lane on my way home from work. I honked at one of them on Rt. 28 and he just kept coming over. Lucky for me the far left lane was empty, but as I rode by the guy and looked at him, he gave me a blank stare as if nothing had happened. I think the next time something like that happens, someone is losing their sideview mirror.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts