StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always found the original rear suspension to be a little soft.
Any advice on mods? What about using a heavier fluid. I have no experience on this subject.

Can anyone point me to a thread here that discusses replacing the rear suspension?

TIA
Scooter

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've always found the original rear suspension to be a little soft.
Any advice on mods? What about using a heavier fluid. I have no experience on this subject.

Can anyone point me to a thread here that discusses replacing the rear suspension?

TIA
Scooter
You don't usually change fluid in rear shocks (front forks are more about fluid change)... You change the spring if you need to adjust the firmness... You can rebuild rear shocks as well or just buy a new shock all together. I could do a search for you for those suspension threads, but then again so could you just as easily...

Have you adjusted the preload on rear shock higher? Maybe even to the max setting? I am 170lbs and that max setting would be way too firm for me... What is your weight?

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Have you adjusted the preload on rear shock higher? Maybe even to the max setting? I am 170lbs and that max setting would be way too firm for me... What is your weight?
Preload does not change the stiffness of the shock, only the sag/ride height.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
The rear suspension shock options are (in about order of price):
--Progressive Suspension brand shock
--Sasquatch modification (spring and damping to suit you)
--high performance aftermarket shock (remote adjuster adds to the price; not in any order)
----HyperPro
----Öhlins
----Elka
----probably some I forgot

One friend with the Progressive brand shock finds it better than stock but not totally adequate. Sasquatch does a great job, but be perfectly clear how you ride and how you want the shock...firmly damped or cushy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Might take a look at Hagon Shocks LLC* --* Home Page one of the least expensive ways into a custom shock and about what some rebuilds cost. No direct experience but have heard a lot of good things.
The last shock I had done was by gp suspension in Oregon City, nationally known for their suspension work. It is a Penske for my 1050 tiger. Excellent shock and fork work, might be more than most would want to spend but the results were great.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Sasquatch.

Suspensions By Sasquatch - Boise, Idaho

End of discussion. :mrgreen:
For the first time, I have just taken a look at Sasquatch's site, (Yes, I am embarrassed about that!).

It is nice to know that he carries Hyperpro products.

My OEM shock has been sitting on a garage shelf since I installed my Hyperpro back in 2008. I will have it rebuilt sometime this year, to have it reflect what my current Hyperpro is setup as. This way, I will have a backup shock ready to go.

B.L.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
When it comes to mechanical knowledge of bikes, I'm a complete novice. So thanks to everyone for your advice - great launching points.

You don't usually change fluid in rear shocks (front forks are more about fluid change)... You change the spring if you need to adjust the firmness... You can rebuild rear shocks as well or just buy a new shock all together. I could do a search for you for those suspension threads, but then again so could you just as easily...

See what I mean? I didn't know that you could not replace the fluid in rear shocks.

Thanks, yes, I'll do a search on suspension thread....I'm just getting used to this site (this is only my second post).

Yes, I've adjusted the rear shock to the highest setting (I read the manual to make sure). I am only 165 lbs, but found the suspension weak when I was fully loaded with camping gear (3 cases & duffle bag). I bottommed out a few times, and driving at night, cars will flash their headlights thinking that I have my high beam on. This only happens when I'm fully loaded, despite maximizing height in the rear and minimizing height in the front.

Anyway, thanks again for the great leads.

·
Vendor
5,008 Posts
Custom Built Elka Shock,

:) Hi, The thing to remember is that is all about two things in the end, Budget and how well do you want it to work,

If it is all about budget and you just want it to be inexpensive then you can order a Replacement spring from Race Tech and do the work yourself just as easily as having someone else do it and have a rear suspension that is less inadequate than the OEM suspension.

There is an old expression in the suspension world. The best you know is the best you have ridden.

My experience is that if you are budget driven or restrained as the case may be and it is OK to be either than you still have a better shock and your needs are met.

I ship these Race Tech springs to Stromtroopers all the time and they work great,

But, if you are looking to spend a reasonable amount of money and want a true custom built Lifetime Quality Shock that you can work with and includes all of the adjustments and controls requisite to have a suspension that delivers a Plush Ride with Total Control for changing conditions and loads with simple clicker style adjusters for compression, rebound, and Preload custom built for you then Elka is the only real choice that does it all,

Every other so called custom shock is built as a shelf model and you simply swap out springs for weight adjustment,

The interesting thing about the hundreds of custom built Elka shocks that I have shipped to Stromtroopers over the 5 years since I convinced Elka to develop the shock for our bikes initially and set up the Group Buy that is still ongoing for us is that I could count the number on one hand that have ever come up for re-sale on the Forum. Almost all of them are still on the original bikes they were built to fit,

So if budget and cost only are the driver, do it for the least cost and get a Race Tech Spring to suit your weight and leave it at that with the correct weight front springs to balance out your suspension,

If you want a superb suspension, go with the very best and get a Custom Built Elka Shock for you and your bike,

You will never regret having a suspension that makes you bike so much easier and fun to ride, especially when it is real quality,

Let me know if you want to go either route,

Enjoy the ride, and best regards,
Blair

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
This only happens when I'm fully loaded.....
What happens when you are only "half loaded"?

My suggestion is, don't drink and ride!

( :biggrinjester: )

Welcome to the forum!

I would love to hear some stories, and see some photographs of Newfoundland!

B.L.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
LOL, good one B.L !!
For pics of Newfoundland, go to Ridetherock.com - Adventure Riding In Newfoundland And Labrador ... there is a good community of adventure riders here. A lot of folks visit "our" site for information about the Trans Labardor Highway. Also, search for Gros Morne, a really nice National Park that we're quite proud of.

This site (stromtrooper) is similar to the ridetherock forum, so I should not have any problems naviating this site.

Thanks Blair for the great info. I will certainly look into your shocks. I think I will need something more variable than just a stiffer spring, since my rides are so variable... no load to fully loaded (lol), easy pavement rides to "you shouldn't take your bike there" type of rides.

Thanks again everyone. If any of you ever visit The Rock, make sure to post on RideTheRock. It's also a good life line if you need help.
Dan

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
Really??? Tell that to my back when I hit a bump with the pre-load cranked...:confused:
Really. Raising the sag level can keep the suspension from bottoming but the spring isn't any stiffer. It just has to travel farther to hit the stops. If the sag is properly set and doesn't bottom or top out, your spring rate is not too soft.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
What ever you want to call it is fine with me... What I'm saying (in addition to the obvious sag affect) is that I get jolted and bounced around when the pre-load is jacked way up and get a more plush, less harsh pleasant ride when the pre-load is at minimum...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
What ever you want to call it is fine with me... What I'm saying (in addition to the obvious sag affect) is that I get jolted and bounced around when the pre-load is jacked way up and get a more plush, pleasant ride when the pre-load is at minimum...
That would be your suspension topping out. Every bike ought to have its sag properly adjusted to prevent topping and bottoming. The Science and Black Magic of Suspension Setup
Add luggage or a passenger and the rear sag needs to be re-adjusted. The front won't change that much.

·
What Kinda Bike Is That?
5,522 Posts
Please watch the below video about this topic.

Nearly EVERY DL-650 that I have been around, has the rear suspension setup incorrectly. The bikes have too much "play" in the top end of travel.

With the bike, sitting on both wheels, reach back to the luggage rack with one hand, and lift up on the rear end of the bike. Let go of it, and let it drop back down. Now, lift up again. You should feel about a 1/2" "free play" before hitting the top of travel.

Most bikes I have been around have much more then that. If your bike does, it is "wasted space" that is not being used by the rear shock to absorb bumps.

The above is how my bike is set up. And, it is why I prefer non-hydraulic preload adjustments. With the OEM shock, a person is limited to a specific adjustment envelope due to the range of the hydraulic preload system, ("I turned the knob all the way.....and it stopped.")

What I describe above, will get a rider very quickly into the ballpark of where they can begin to fine tune their rear suspension. Keep in mind though, you mess with the rear suspension, you are also going to have to make adjustments to the front suspension. And, vice - versa.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll study this more.

Perhaps I have my rear shock setup incorrectly... and perhaps I don't need a new one so quickly.

Thanks again.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts