StromTrooper banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there! My name is Jesse, I'm a newbie to the world of motorcycling, well...have had my license for 2.5 years but haven't ridden outside of the MSF course. I am looking to buy a Wee within the next year or less and am looking for some seasoned :mod2_chef: opinions on whether I should buy the new 'Glee' model that will have been in stores for 6 months or more or try to snatch up an '11 if there are any 'new' ones left at the dealers?

BTW, I intend on using this as my primary transportation and will be riding it until it dies...and yes, I do own a cage. :thumbdown:

·
Registered
522 Posts
Depending on Price difference (and warranty difference ... maybe new "glee" model will have a longer warranty) I would probably go with the 2011.

A few reasons:

1. Proven Track Record. The existing "generation 2" DL650 has now been going 4 years with good proven durability.

2. Large existing group of owners that you can learn from and your existing motorcycle garage knows how to maintain and work on.

3. Depreciation. Because you said that you intend to keep this unitil either you die or the bike dies, used values are pretty immaterial. i.e. Your not selling it so a couple points difference in used value at the end of a few years is meaningless

4. Since the existing model is being discontinued, you might and should be able to get a little better price on a "close out" ... for lack of a better phrase.

5. This ties into "1" above. I am disinclined to pay for version of 1A on anything (cars, software, motorcycles, toasters anything. Even the incremental revisions are still largely unproven on the retail public. We "beat up" the bike worse than the factory is going to. So what appears as a minor revision on paper could prove to be a major headache out in the real world. And generally (it seems) when you're 300 miles from anything.

Just my 2cents worth. YMMV

Banks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey there! My name is Jesse, I'm a newbie to the world of motorcycling, well...have had my license for 2.5 years but haven't ridden outside of the MSF course. I am looking to buy a Wee within the next year or less and am looking for some seasoned :mod2_chef: opinions on whether I should buy the new 'Glee' model that will have been in stores for 6 months or more or try to snatch up an '11 if there are any 'new' ones left at the dealers?

BTW, I intend on using this as my primary transportation and will be riding it until it dies...and yes, I do own a cage. :thumbdown:
I have considered the same issue, and my answer is: "It depends."

It depends upon:

- the price of the glee
- the price of the leftover '11
- the significance of the updates in terms of rider performance/enjoyment/safety/comfort.
- the depreciation of the '11 vs the depreciation of the '12
- the risks of getting a new model vs. a stable platform with some warts.
etc., etc.
- how much you need it now vs. being able to wait till Nov.

Too many intangibles to really answer this question, but the improvements in the '12 basically are:
- lighter, better ABS brakes
- Gladys engine with slightly better low end and 10% better fuel economy
- better aerodynamics (supposedly less buffeting which was an issue with the older ones including the '11) and better engine cooling.
- slightly thinner
- better seat supposedly
- oil cooler
- different instrument cluster w/ digital speedo and more info.
- better looks

That should thoroughly confuse you...:confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A decision to buy a motorcycle is done more with the heart than the head. I'd like a Glee just to see what it is like but I already have a Wee to compare it to.

·
Registered
9 Posts
A decision to buy a motorcycle is done more with the heart than the head. I'd like a Glee just to see what it is like but I already have a Wee to compare it to.
Personally, I like to make all purchases and financial decisions with my head, enjoy them with all of my heart, and not second-guess myself for being impatient, foolish, or too conservative.

·
38,103 Posts
I won't buy a bike if it doesn't make sense to my head, but I won't even think of buying a bike if it doesn't inspire me. My heart provides the desire, my head is mostly involved in telling my heart it isn't a good idea.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I thought about it but I will stick with the older Wee. I have all my goodies I could swap over. I know the bike as well, flaws and all.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wee vs Glee - Revisit now that there has been some experience

I've been planning to purchase a new Glee in the near future. I found a dealer with a new 2011 Wee in stock. While I haven't talked turkey with the salesman (too early to buy yet), I am sure they would like to get rid of it. I found this thread and thought it a little dated. Now that the Glee has been on the road a little while, I wonder if there is any new insight, especially from those of you that have experience with both.
I am attracted to the Glee for the incremental (stated) improvements in the engine performance and suspension. Also, I live in the high desert and I am expecting the Glee to be better at diverting hot engine air away from the rider.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts!
kzutter

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Unless money is a real issue, get the Glee.

I liked my K6 Wee, but after a year of riding the Glee is not just a bit better, it's a lot better.

If you ride somewhere with mainly flat straight roads there'll be less difference between the two, "" mostly commuting - but I live close to some amazing 'technical' riding roads and the Glee is that much better.

Not quite sure how to describe the difference but I'll try. The Wee was slow for a 650cc bike but on the right roads you could embarass a sports bike, you had to really pick your moment though.

The Glee is distressingly quick, top speed is about the same, but acceleration and handling is so much better that it trounces most other bikes on the back roads round here (roads where top speed isn't an issue). I mean it's a nice feeling to have a Multistrada in your mirrors for fifteen minutes or so if you are on a 650, but it'll cost me my license if I keep doing that.

Pete

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
Decision Time

OK here's the thing...

I have a 2009 DL650 nicely see up with a Progressive 465 rear shock and the emulators and spring up front. I have about 32,000 miles on the bike and really do enjoy it.

Since buying the Wee I picked up a number of other bikes but the Wee has stayed in my stable. I use to take it off road far more than I do now but that is mainly since I have a WR250R, KTM 450 EXC, and a GasGas XC250 that are better suited for that type of riding.

But for long trips with dirt roads the Wee is my go to bike.

Recently I took a trip up to WV to visit some friends and along the way I was really regretting not getting the ABS bike when I made my purchase in 2009. I decided to take a look at a couple of other bikes not necessarily to replace my Strom but something that I would do more commuting on in various weather and ABS is my requirement.

Today I took three bikes out on a demo day. A 700GS (800 was not available), a TR650, and a 1200GS (just because).

The only bike I was impressed with was the 1200GS but at that price tag it is far out of my league... but it was nice to ride it.

I had also thought about a KTM 690 but then felt it was too off road for what I am looking for plus I am really looking for ABS for unforeseen street issues.

So now I am thinking about getting a Glee. I think I probably would do some suspension work to it right away (have ridden one before and was not impressed in comparison to how I have my Wee set up).

So for you inmates that made the jump from the Wee to the Glee what are some of your biggest highlights? Also what are some of the things you miss from the old Wee?

Curious minds want to know...

·
38,103 Posts
I've had a 2005 Wee, a 2007 ABS Wee and a 2012 Glee. The 2007 had over $2000 in suspension work. I Like the Glee best. The stock suspension is good enough that I'm not driven to change it and it can be made better as easily. It is lighter, nimbler, narrower and has a more responsive engine. The difference is not huge but it is noticeably better.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
But you can get a lot of (new or used) extras for Wee, for much more reasonable price and ... there are already some recalls on Glee...I have been reading that Suzuki even have asked dealers to stop selling them...

·
Registered
824 Posts
But you can get a lot of (new or used) extras for Wee, for much more reasonable price and ... there are already some recalls on Glee...I have been reading that Suzuki even have asked dealers to stop selling them...

Accessory prices are similar, glees may be too new to have used prices

One recall I've heard of (brake light issue). Please share any others

Let us know where you've "been reading"

Sounds like fertilizer to me

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
So for you inmates that made the jump from the Wee to the Glee what are some of your biggest highlights? Also what are some of the things you miss from the old Wee?

Curious minds want to know...
Did that. Most farlkes will swap. Find Glitch OZ's "Thinstrom" thread, that's pretty much what the Glee is out of the box.

I thought I'd miss the rain protection from the front , but the new bike deflects wind quite nicely.

Really, no downsides.

Upsides, better handling, better motor. Not necessarilly more peak power, but better power delivery across the rev. range.

Seat is better, ABS is very good.

Less 'top heavy' feeling in that it doesn't tend to want to lie down quite as readilly - probably mostly the narrower seat, but it works.

Not saying I'd sell a well running earlier model to upgrade, but given a choice between the two the new model is better.

Pete

·
38,103 Posts
There was one problem, not plural. The front brake switch was recalled. That was fixed over a year ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts