StromTrooper banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anybody in or around Cincinnati, OH that would be willing to give me a hand at figuring out why my 2009 650A runs a little rough throughout the rev range?

Even at steady throttle it does not feel smooth and seems to buck a touch. It definitely does not seem smooth anywhere below 5k RPMs. It has just under 2k miles and I got it used. Not sure if the 600 mile service and valve check was done.

EDIT: I guess surging would also be a good term to throw out there... the bike is surging a lot ;-)

You are welcome to come to my house (Park Hills, KY) or I can venture out to your location. I thought that having a loal guru help might be a better choice than putting the bike in the hands of a wrench monkey at the dealership...

Please PM me if you would like to help. It will be much appreciated!

·
Registered
203 Posts
You say you bought it used. Has it done this steadily since you bought it?
Did the previous owner attempt any mods? Can you contact them?
Do you know where the bike was purchased? Would they have service records?
Other than checking all the plug wires for solid connections, you're probably going to have to take it to a dealer.

I am on the NE side of Cincinnati, and I do all the maintenance on my 2008, but I've never had a problem with surging.

Brent

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You say you bought it used. Has it done this steadily since you bought it?
Did the previous owner attempt any mods? Can you contact them?
Do you know where the bike was purchased? Would they have service records?
Other than checking all the plug wires for solid connections, you're probably going to have to take it to a dealer.

I am on the NE side of Cincinnati, and I do all the maintenance on my 2008, but I've never had a problem with surging.

Brent
Very good questions. I appreciate your response...

The bike has done since the beginning. Initially suspected bad gasoline, but after two and a half tanks it still surges and has not smoothed out.

I have reached out to the previous owner, but have not heard back. He claimed to have the 600 mile service done and I trusted him (did not verify). His dealer should have service records, but I have no idea who that is. I will try to call around and see if any of the dealers have records for my VIN.

I was hoping that before I shell out $400 at a dealer, a local inmate would be able to help me do some troubleshooting. :punk:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I was hoping that before I shell out $400 at a dealer, a local inmate would be able to help me do some troubleshooting. :punk:
I certainly understand wanting to do a little troubleshooting first. These bikes are very bulletproof. The 600-mile service is just a check over on the bike. There is no valve check or throttle body sync done at that time unless it is warranted. The first valve check for the V-Strom is 14,000 miles, I think. I believe it's in the owners manual. I've never had my valves checked and I will probably turn over 37,000 miles today. It runs like a top. Many other owners report very long miles before a valve check and finding them to be nearly perfect.

You will find here on Stromtrooper and over at VSRI that many owners have tweaked their early-model engines for better performance. However, the 2007+ models have different ECUs that prohibit/inhibit any mods other than switching out the exhaust. It's possible the previous owner tried to do something with his 2009 that was common for earlier models.

I am confident that your problem is fixable and you will have one of the sweetest running bikes on the planet.

I am going to send you my phone number via PM. Call me. I'll try to help you diagnose the problem.

Reactions: thepaleobiker

·
Registered
325 Posts
does it do this under load? by that I mean shift up a gear and still run the same speed.

·
Registered
436 Posts
How does the bike start cold ? I had to do a fuel filter at 1800kms because of dirty fuel (rust and dirt) it ran ok but was cranky when starting cold , it would stall the first time but ok hot.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bike starts without any problems when cold. Idles around 1300RPMs and fluctuates a little.

It does it under load and the when getting on and off the throttle it feels very rough. Surging is present in any and all revs. Under load and at steady throttle.

I will take the tank off tomorrow and check out the spark plugs and wires. I will also check the fit of the airbox and the fuel filter.

Appreciate any and all suggestions. Hope to get this resolved without my local dealer's help (or sodomizing if you will).

I am meeting with dbrent tomorrow (if I make it back to town in time) to try to figure this out. He has been very nice about extending a helping hand - locally. I am very grateful!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Tytek, it was great to meet you last night and to talk about motorcycling. With what we've learned from others, let's hope that it truly is something as simple as the fuel. Keep us updated.

Brent

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OK, the mystery has been solved this morning...

dbrent was right in suspecting premium fuel being the culprit. In my ignorance, I have been filling the bike with 93 octane fuel every time since I bought it used few month ago; thinking that I am doing it and myself a favor. Boy, how dumb of me.

Per Brent's suggestion, I have drained that premium fuel from my tank this morning and rode to my closest gas station on fumes. I fueled up with good ol' 87 octane and went for a 130 mile (4hr) ride into rural KY. The bike behaved very well. All the previous symptoms subsided and the engine became smooth and refined again! Thanks Brent!

I am very pleased with the outcome and equally surprised by the fact that using premium fuel can make such a big difference in how my DL-650 operates.

On a side note, my newly purchased Suzuki gel seat was a perfect upgrade to the stock seat. No numbness below the belt any more. Highly recommend that upgrade.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Thanks, Tytek. I am so glad you "found" the sweetness of the DL650. But thanks really goes to everyone here who responded to your plea, and a great big thanks to Ray at Sport Tour, for he's the one who diagnosed it. I was just the medium.

Will I see you at next month's Cincy Euro Bike Night? If I'm in town, I'll be going.

Brent

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are right... thanks to all of the people that contributed to my thread. I am gald that it was something as simple as type of gas...

As far as the Euro bike meeting, yes, I plan to go; please remind me a few days ahead of it ;-)

We have to show those valve clacking Ducatis what a real motorcycle is :biggrinjester:

·
Premium Member
3,419 Posts
Glad you have your problem solved. I am curious how the 93 octane fuel was causing the problem.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Glad you have your problem solved. I am curious how the 93 octane fuel was causing the problem.
Not being an engineer, scientist or physicist, I can only relay what Ray told me. It's about how the fuel (93 octane) atomizes as it is injected into an engine that requires lower grade fuel. Maybe it is pre-detonating before full compression.

In my experience, I can report that my 2008 runs better and gets better mpg on 87 than it does on 89, 91 or 93.

Brent

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Glad to hear the problem solved. Hey Brent where and when is the Euro bike night?
I can answer with regards to location: it is on 25 Main St (Rt 50/28.) in downtown Milford in a parking lot of The Park National Bank.

As far as when, I think that is it every last Thursday of the month...

I am planning to be there on my strom. I may have to put some roundel stickers on it for the night, though :yesnod:

There were some amazing bikes at that last meeting!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
This thread is so informative, great to read! I'm a new Wee owner in Cincinnati :) coming in from 2 Shaft driven motorcycles (Honda ST1100 & a Yamaha V Star). I know this thread is 5 years old, but I wanted to ask the same/similar question to the group - I am looking to change my sprockets/chain and after reading all the information, it seems like I am perhaps safer off having someone watch over me/guide me as I go through the chain replacement steps, rather than doing it myself the first time.

I'd be humbly grateful to connect with anyone in the Cinci/NKY/Indiana area who'd be willing to lend me guidance & chain rivet tools while I labor and work on the bike, in return for my humble gift of a lunch at a place of your choice and conversation with an inquisitive mind :D (Paleo Gyan ? Experiences from the real world ? Sharing my humble opinion on subjects that excite yours truly ? Paleo living, running, secular spirituality, photography, motorcycling, LGBTQ rights, Podcasting (new!))

I've enquired at local shops and I appreciate them willing to provide help for $50 tire change or $90 with chain & sprockets also changed. However, if I can connect with a local Stromtrooper and work on the bike myself, I'd humbly rather choose that. Thank you again to the Group/the great advice on here. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts.

Regards,
Vish

1 - 17 of 17 Posts