StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen references here to a 12mm allen for the front axle. I even chased a link and bought a 12mm. Is way small for my 2004 DL650. Ahybody know the right size please?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sears sold me the wrong allen size

11mm wrench in a 12mm package! Aren't they the tool people?

·
Registered
7,437 Posts
11mm wrench in a 12mm package! Aren't they the tool people?
No. I've been in a Sears store recently and have no idea what those clerks are good at. I don't know why Sears continues to exist. In any case, either the wrong wrench was put into the right package in the factory or by a customer, likely not by a Sears employee.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
In any case, either the wrong wrench was put into the right package in the factory or by a customer, likely not by a Sears employee.
My vote would be shoplifting.

Certainly over here 12mm hex keys are much rarer and more expensive than 11mm ones. I'm picking somebody has put a 12mm key into an 11mm package to get it through the check out and you have ended up with the orphan bits put back together by some careless employee.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Had a similar problem with an 07' 650. Saw a reference somewhere for a 12mm, bought one, and was in awe. Mine is actually a 17mm, not sure why or on what models this change exists, but 17mm could be your ticket.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Was using a 11mm Sears shiped by mistake

The 11mm came in a 12mm package. Really threw me off. Went to the store and traded for a 12mm. I'm OK now. Thanks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Front Axle Tool.

Just so I'm clear on this, you need a 12mm allen wrench to remove the front axle. (not pinch bolts) Right? There's a large allen key wrench in my Wees tool kit but it's a bit too small for the front axle.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Still very new to this bike and the former owner emailed me to give me the heads up on the need for an allen wrench. How do you torque the axle properly with a allen wrench? For my Triumph I have borrowed one of those "universal" four-sized axle sockets with a 3/8s drive.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,198 Posts
You don't. A 12mm hex socket bit is the way to go. //
Agree for shop, not for road. They seem to all be 1/2" drive, so you'd have to carry a 1/2" breaker bar or ratchet. The 12mm angle wrench has decent leverage and you can always kick it. $8 at Sears, only place I've found to have them reliably.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
You don't. A 12mm hex socket bit is the way to go.
Yeah,

I have a set of these (but probably not a 12) and that's what I was thinking already, so I was wondering if/why most people seemed to be talking about an allen key. I can definitely see why you would want the allen key on the road.

I think I'll purchase one of the four-way thingys (if one side is a 12) because with a small crescent wrench, it can serve home and away.

·
Registered
279 Posts
The best solution, if your looking for a light weight / compact tool is to have a sort through your spare nuts and bolts and find a bolt where the head fits the hex hole. Then weld a nut, or tighten 2 nuts, onto it of a size that one of your standard spanners fits.

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
Agree for shop, not for road. They seem to all be 1/2" drive, so you'd have to carry a 1/2" breaker bar or ratchet. The 12mm angle wrench has decent leverage and you can always kick it. $8 at Sears, only place I've found to have them reliably.
If you carry a 3/8" ratchet, you can just use a 3/8" to 1/2" socket adapter.

Of course, the question was about how to get the correct torque value, which would require carrying a torque wrench as well...

·
Super Moderator
4,539 Posts
The best solution, if your looking for a light weight / compact tool is to have a sort through your spare nuts and bolts and find a bolt where the head fits the hex hole. Then weld a nut, or tighten 2 nuts, onto it of a size that one of your standard spanners fits.
That's what I had to do on my XJR1300 this week. The hex is huge. I found a long nut that fitted perfectly and had lots of hex protruding out. That nut is now in my Yamaha's toolkit.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts