StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This has happenned to me twice since I've had the bike (2 months) and wondered what it might be.Unfortunately it's 4 yr old and no warranty.

I was riding home from work this arvo and just about to turn into my driveway when the engine just stopped dead...no warning,,,,just cut out :confused:

I clicked it back into neutral, hit the starter and it started first go ...so it's got me buggered.

As I was just about to turn into the driveway, I had the clutch in going down some gears so that i would be in the right gear (usually 2nd) to power up the slight incline but as I disengaged the clutch, I think by memory I only got the chance to change down one gear I think from 5th to 4th when it happenned.

Is this something to do with electronic Fuel Injection? and...is this a regular known issue with these bikes?

This happenned to me a few weeks back, similar scenario but different place....i was leaving my workplace at the time just about to enter the street in front.

Any idea what could have caused this to happen?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Dave

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Engine cut out

As the cutout was instant,it will almost certainly be an electrical issue because a fuel issue will be a more surging cutting in and out fault before finally dying. A most probable cause will be a switching issue and a less likely fault being a broken hot wire.
I would first check the sidestand switch as this is a known fault on many bikes. Make sure this switch is moving freely. Thoroughly clean the whole area and add one drop of oil or lightly spray with WD40 or similar. Make sure that the ss return spring works as it should.
Should this fail I would inspect the RHS switch internals to ensure all is working as it should.
It is known that the wire loom around the headstem can be pinched but this is relatively rare. Check all is well.
Failing this, an intermittent fault can be difficult to trace. A trip to your mechanic may be the next step.
Also try the search button.
For everyones collective knowledge, let's know the result.
Good hunting, ride safe
Saturn 5.......The big daddy of them all.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
Is the clock showing or has it changed to an FI or a CHEC?

·
Registered
868 Posts
wee stopped running

This happened to me recently and I had the bike into 2 different the Dealers over a 3 week period and they couldn't find the fault. So I handed the bike over to a bike mechanic just up the road from home and he doesn't have all the diagnostic gear. He checked all the earth points and he said the solenoid was sticking so he did what ever he had to do to free this up. I rode home yesterday without a glitch. I am planning on a longer ride in the next couple of days.

cheers

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for you reply fellas,

Greywolf, one of the first things I did was check the instruments for anything unusual and the clock and everything seamed to be normal apart from the red dot light that comes up in middle of tacho when motor is stopped.

Saturn 5, thanks for your reply as well, yes I agree....when things happen suddenly like that it's usually an instant loss of electric current and the sidestand switch is something that will be checked out. It's only happenned twice in the space of 8 weeks so it can't be a major issue but something that could prove to be bloody annoying.

Since writing this post I did do a bit of a google through strom troopers and it did come up with something that will be also looked at. It appears that some of our fellow troopers in the US had some issues with a clutch switch where wires or earthing could come adrift and make it cut out when the clutch is used which might be closer to what I'm experiencing as it happenned when I pulled in the clutch lever to change down gears....only problem is...I haven't a clue as to where this switch is....would it be in the lever end or the gearbox end?:confused:

The thing is, i have to use the clutch many times per ride and this has only happenned twice so it can't have been a major thing...but needs checkingout anyhow.

Thanks again guys...i'll endeavour to find out the problem and report here when and if I do....looks like a trip to the workshop soon.

Cheers

WB
(Dave)

·
38,104 Posts
Without a CHEC, the sidestand switch and kill switch are not involved. The clutch switch only prevents cranking. It will not kill a running bike. With no FI, the airbox sensors are not doing anything bad enough to kill the engine. It's back to basics. You need air and fuel in the proper ratio, compression and a spark at the right time. It does sound like an intermittent electrical problem so spark and fuel are the likely places to check. In previous reports of similar incidents, a wire being cut or pulled and corrosion in a crimp connector were the culprits.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for that greywolf...much appreciated:thumbup:

I'll go and have a chat to some of the mechanics at my local Suzi dealer to see if they've encountered this issue....which could be more than likely.

I think that might be the best first step.....I've just gotta wait till they come back after the silly season.

Cheers

w_b

(Dave)

·
Registered
231 Posts
try the boys at bikecare in adamstown and speak to andy....the mechanic at the said suzuki dealer really doesnt have the experience as the boys at bikecare..he has just left the frazers spares counter recently..not knocking him or the business... but imo the bikecare boys get my money everytime..hopefully you find the fault ...side stand switch would be my call .having the bike in gear and stopping instantly certainly not a fuelling issue ..electrical fault a higher percentage..good luck....greg

·
38,104 Posts
A side stand switch fault will show a CHEC at the clock. That didn't happen.

·
Registered
231 Posts
but wolf was he quick enough to see it or was he looking after he restarted ...just a question ...being new to the ride you dont see everything instantly like you or i would take notice ...hopefully it gets fixed

·
38,104 Posts
He said one of the first things he did was check the instruments.

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
I would be interested to find out what happened - it does sound electrical and side stand switch is generally the suspect. but the OP did say the "chec" sign was not on. Is it possible that this is an intermittent fault where the connection fail and work again in an instant.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My dl650a cuts out occasionally. Used to be about once a day when brand new but is now infrequent.

No it didn't do it for the dealer...does it ever?

Always with clutch in closed throttle under brakes and about stopped.
Only symptoms are red light on the dash and no go. Still have the stock pipe and being half deaf I don't notice a change in sound volume.

I have been told it could be the throttle position sensor but have not checked anything.

Watching the tacho when clutch in closed throttle and under brakes. it drops down to around 850rpm before slowly climbing back up to idle 1450ish rpm.
But it hasn't cut out any time I have watched, which of course it never will...
The rpm it drops down to varies a little so I guess occaisionally it gets low enough to stall.

Hope this may help you.
cheers

·
Premium Member
1,748 Posts
another possibility - TPS, esp for a k8 and prior before they upgrade the part which is meant to be more heat resistant. TPS issue is generally associated with clutching in to come to a stop.

The issue is not generally detected by FI module and not even show up on a vol test.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Hi Fellers and I'm reading with interest in possible solutions.

As for the instruments, I did check briefly to see if there was anything unusual that might be flashing or something and as I'm still unfamiliar with everything about the bike, possibly I could've missed the Chec thing that Wolf was talking about but I'm reasonably sure the clock was still showing.

I went down to have a chat to the Suzi guy on my way to work and he told me that the clutch and sidestand cutout switch is on the same circuit and that to give them a spray with WD40 and see if it acts up again but he reckons it could be either one....I don't think it's a major issue just an annoying and fiddly thing that's enough to give ya the shits.

It's definately electrical by the way it cut out.....I just hope it has nothing to do with electronic Fuel Injection....that's when the dollars get sucked out of you're pocket:yikes:

Cheers

w_b

Dave

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Apart from the obvious things like hitting the kill switch .... and loose connectors.

The Wee will stall at low rpm if the idle is set too low, it should be 1200-1300 rpm.

It'll run (mostly) fine with the idle set at 900 rpm, other than the random stopping if you chop the throttle.

Pete

·
38,104 Posts
Apart from the obvious things like hitting the kill switch .... and loose connectors.

The Wee will stall at low rpm if the idle is set too low, it should be 1200-1300 rpm.
The bike in question is a 2007. It does not have an adjustable idle.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
First check the battery terminals .If they are dirty or loose that is probebly the cause .
It could be the side stand switch simply bend the tab a fraction to make sure it is closing properly . Spray the switch with some WD40 and make sure it moves without sticking.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all your input fellas, It's much appreciated:thumbup:

Since I've wriiten this post, it hasn't happenned since but I'm keeping an eye on it.

I'm going for a ride tomorrow with one of the Ullysus groups out of newy tomorrow up to Glouster (they don't know it yet :green_lol:) and i'll check the terminals before I leave home in the morning and take a can of WD40 with me just in case......

I'll keep you all informed if it happens again...doesn't seem too serious at this stage just as long as it doesn't cut out on me in transit.

Cheers

wobbly_boot
(Dave)

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Have your battery load tested. Happened to me the other week.
(slowly typed on an iPod.)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts