StromTrooper banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a hard time mounting a center stand because I can't figure what the pitch(10MM bolt) is on the threaded plate to mount to. The supplied bolts don't work and Nothing in my tap & die set works????
Should I retap these holes in the hopes of not cross threading the existing holes???:confused:

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
The frame is tapped, not the plate but that might just be terminology. The upper bolt is smaller than the lower one. A 10mm bolt should be M10x1.5 if it is a coarse rather than a fine thread. Lay atap against the bolt to gauge the thread pitch. IIRC, the top is an M8x1.25 and the bottom is an M10x1.5 bolt(not).

Nope. Though I can't see a reason for it, the bottom is an M10x1.25 fine thread bolt.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 8MM bolt works fine but the 10MM won't thread so I tried to put both the 1.50 pitch & 1.25 pitch 10 mm into the holes but neither will work into the holes I want to really retap but want to use the correct one to start so as not to cross thread and make things worse!!

·
38,104 Posts
A helicoil is used when the hole is too big as is the threads being stripped. This sounds like the hole is small and the tap wont start. I don't understand that at all.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Understand what a heliciol is all about, lost count of how many I've put in over the years.
I kinda took it that the hole was the right size but perhaps the incorrect thread pitch hence the helicoil suggestion. I've never been a fan of retapping to another pitch in the same hole as I've seen many done like that for expedience or to save a few $$$$ and subsequently fail quickly.
I didn't really consider that the hole could be undersize but in hindsight that could be the case and a drill and retap to the correct size/thread would be appropriate in that case

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
BOTH 8mm and 10mm are 1.25mm pitch

BOTH 8mm and 10mm bolts are 1.25mm pitch

thats what screwed into my frame a few days ago - and what came with my Happy Trails kit

I just back-checked them with a thread template

BTW - the 10mm on the left side of my bike was also stubborn - I encouraged it with my powered screwdriver (clutch type) instead of attempting to tap the thread - and that worked.

the other three holes were ok

·
38,104 Posts
So the 10mm is a fine pitch then. Fine threads are unusual except on the oil drain plug. Like I said though, if a bolt is on hand along with a tap set, it can be matched with a tap by holding the shanks together.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BOTH 8mm and 10mm bolts are 1.25mm pitch

thats what screwed into my frame a few days ago - and what came with my Happy Trails kit

I just back-checked them with a thread template

BTW - the 10mm on the left side of my bike was also stubborn - I encouraged it with my powered screwdriver (clutch type) instead of attempting to tap the thread - and that worked.

the other three holes were ok
Thank you I will try the power driver also and if I don't get a proper response maybe a better 10mm 1.25 tap than the set I have will finally get results I bought the Murph's Kit stand($120) and I'm anxious to see how well it will work but they have a note on their site that they would send the correct pitch bolts mine just all happen to be the same
Thanks to all who have sent a response seems I'll be here often asking questions!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was lucky in that my wee came with a centerstand. I didn't realize they were optional. Does anyone know what the whole ball O' wax sells for brand new?

·
38,104 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was lucky in that my wee came with a centerstand. I didn't realize they were optional. Does anyone know what the whole ball O' wax sells for brand new?
Make sure your specific with Murph's about bike & year so he sends the right bolt package

·
Registered
46 Posts
Make sure your specific with Murph's about bike & year so he sends the right bolt package
Murph is telling me that their current offering for the centerstand will not fit the 2012 Wee. He stated that it could be months away. Any additional clarification from forum members as to their success or lack of it when installing the current Murph offering on their 2012 DL650 would be appreciated...

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
So the 10mm is a fine pitch then. Fine threads are unusual except on the oil drain plug. Like I said though, if a bolt is on hand along with a tap set, it can be matched with a tap by holding the shanks together.
FWIW: There are other 10mm bolts on the DL's - all 1.25 pitch. Mirrors, rear subframe.

Pete

·
Registered
3,997 Posts
Murph is telling me that their current offering for the centerstand will not fit the 2012 Wee. He stated that it could be months away. Any additional clarification from forum members as to their success or lack of it when installing the current Murph offering on their 2012 DL650 would be appreciated...
I moved an Africa single stand from my K6->L2, had to make up a stop for it, fit was identical.

Pete

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well I finally mounted the center stand after having to buy the correct thread pitch(1.25) the job was real quick & easy until trying to attach the spring like all other springs I've mounted this was tough to get hooked even with the right tools but it got done and works very good now it's much easier to lube the chain and do the oil NOW glad I got it
Just specify the correct bolts for the 650 I received and extra bag of bolts butn they were the same as those in the stand kit!!!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts