StromTrooper banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a few days ago thinking of a GS 1200. BMW.

Well all the talk of repairs and such scares the hell out of me. I owned a 2002 sv 650S put about 6000 miles on it in one year and nothing broke at all.

I have read quite a few reviews so I am decided. I will get a WEE. Heck it gets better mileage than a 1200Gs that alone is a good reason.

Also my old leathers say Suzuki Racing. Ha ha better to get a Suzuki than have to buy new BMW kit. Any how.

One of the big draws to the BMWs to me is the ABS who has it how does it work its only 500 buck but I may have to get a new strom to get the ABS but who cares still 8k less than a gs new with abs.

-thoughts. I generally don’t ride in a lot of rain. I live in San Diego.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
FWIW, I would go with the ABS if I had a choice. I understand it is solid, reliable technology that is unobtrusive in your normal riding experience and is there to save your ass when you mess up. I don't have it, but if I were buying new, I would get it.

PS: You know the warning about the dangers of the first few minutes after a rain shower starts and the oil begins to float off the pavement? I experienced that one day and slid all the way through an intersection trying to make a right hand turn. It was so bad, I had trouble making the next turn even after recognizing the problem and slowing to damned near a walking pace to set up for it. I really wish I had had ABS that day.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
There are a million threads on this. There are posts today in fact. Please do a search. Thanks.

The only one in Southern California that I’m aware of is in Orange County (about 65 miles from you) for $7,9999 OTD (that includes everything). You can check with OTD Motorsports in Inglewood and save maybe…$100-$200 when they get another one in.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I see yes i'm going to get ABS.

I found a dealer that will let me do a test ride:p

Finally they must be getting desparate.

I dont think its going to be easy to find a wee with abs so i may go with a new bike then.

·
Registered
3,931 Posts
A comment on the milage, the Wee gets insanely good milage even when being thrashed down dirt roads - the GS doesn't :),

Also unlike a couple of GS's I know of - my Wee hasn't been sitting at the dealers waiting for parts/problem determination for 3-4 months in the last year.

Jokes aside - the GS's do seem to have problems I'd find unacceptable for such an expensive bike.

Cheers
Pete

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
-Yes I am well aware of the suzuki v twin 650. I have a 2002 sv659 for 2 years and really that was my favorite bike. It got amazing milage. 2 up out to palomar mt and back 50 mpg.

I am convinced not the Wee Is what I need. I will ride 1 up 80% of the time and 2 up 20%. so a wee is fine I prefer a lighter bike anyhow. im 5' 10" and 155lbs. so I feel better with a more toss able bike.

So a trick will be to find a 2007 Wee with ABs well. I have the cash now but prefer to wait a few more months. I think I will have to wait for the right deal to come along.

It would be better to get a used one than pay the dealer.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Check the For Sale threads. There is a guy in your area selling a white 07Wabs.

I owned an SV650 before the Wabs. The comfort difference is amazing. The Wabs isn’t twitchy like the SV so you don’t have to worry about the road conditions and imperfections steering your bike. Just ride right over or through groves, cracks, humps and most bumps with out noticing them.

You’ll miss the quickness, at first, and the small bicycle like maneuverability of the SV.

But if you are a strickly Sport Bike kind of guy the Wabs may disappoint. Any SV will lap a Strom on the Track. Be sure this is what you want. I’ve seen in the past, and will see again, Sport Bike enthusiasm leave the Strom after a few weeks/months for a higher end Sports Bike.

If this is you, you’ll come out cheaper (time and money invested) by moving up to a Gixxer 600/750 instead.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ABS or not

I am currently looking for a used '07 or '08 wee with abs in the deep south. As a former owner of a '98 R1100RT BMW with ABS, I can vouch for it's effectiveness. It saved my ass a couple of times. The 1100 BMW's were easy to flush the brake fluid on; I even put speedbleeders on my brembo brakes to make it even easier. The 1150's have 2 separate circuits to bleed; it's a much more involved process, still most guys at the bmw sport touring forum where I still occassionally hang out still learn how to bleed them. I have cancer and the big BMW was getting to be too much, so I sold it. As I told another member in a PM, the BMW message board's main message is that only a small percentage of the bikes have problems. After a while though, I stopped believing that. So, I serviced my bike (had the shop do the TBS though) and sold it. The problems with the RT's and other models involve mainly failed final drives, failed trannys, and some wierd problem where the trans input shaft splines get worn and also take the splines of the clutch disc along with it. I would advise anyone getting a BMW to get one with an extended warranty or still under warranty. If it is still under warranty, get an extended warranty before the original one expires.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
Also my old leathers say Suzuki Racing. Ha ha better to get a Suzuki than have to buy new BMW kit.
Instead of BMW leathers, you can now spend the money on:

Madstad bracket
Forkbrace
Steering Stabilizer
Luggage
Russel Daylong Saddle
GPS with weather alert

And you'll still have enough left over for gas for the first 10,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first.

Cheers,

Norm

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Instead of BMW leathers, you can now spend the money on:

Madstad bracket
Forkbrace
Steering Stabilizer
Luggage
Russel Daylong Saddle
GPS with weather alert

And you'll still have enough left over for gas for the first 10,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first.

Cheers,

Norm
Too late. He bought an out of warranety R1200GS. He's gonna need that money plus a loan to fix the very next thing that "Will" go wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts