StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wee stalling at anything over idle (not bad gas)

May be bad gas? I filled up and rode 9 miles to work with no issues. Come out to go home and it barely starts. It idles around 11-1200. But if I give it ANY gas it stalls. In gear, in neutral doesn't matter. Can't rev the engine at all. Twist it and it coughs and dies. Sounds like it is idling begrudgingly.

Work isn't a safe place to leave the bike overnight. In a pinch... :headbang:

Thanks in advance!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Does this happen when it's cold? hot? all the time?

If you think it's bad gas the only thing to do is siphon and replace.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It hasn't ever happened before. It is very hot today. Nothing too unusual though.

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
If you can't leave the bike there, I'd start with siphoning the tank and adding new gas from a reputable source.

Anything unusual lighting up on the instrument cluster?

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
It's tough to say from here, but I speculate...

...that you may have a clogged fuel filter.

But you may have water in the tank, too.

I would start by ditching the gas from the tank and installing fresh gas from a popular gas station, preferably not the one from the last fill up!

I would add a can of Seafoam to the tank and then fill with fresh gas.
If it will idle, let it idle with an attempt at some throttle from time to time, may work itself through.

If not, then it's time for further diagnosis; perhaps a fuel flow test...

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
It should idle at 1300. Is this the only time the idle was low?

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It should idle at 1300. Is this the only time the idle was low?
My idle measurement is subjective. I have replaced the dials. I could be off by a hair. And 11-12-1300 are only mm's different...

It sounds like it's idling ok if I just don't touch the throttle at all. Give it anything at all and it goes south.

Where do I siphon out 5.8 gallons of gas? Guess I better go get a big gas can at Walmart? How do I dispose of it?

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Where do I siphon out 5.8 gallons of gas?

Not orally, it can kill you
. I know someone who recently died from aspirated Diesel.

Guess I better go get a big gas can at Walmart? How do I dispose of it?
Yes, and you can return it the station who sold it.

·
Registered
981 Posts
On a car, I would be inclined to say it could be it's a Mass Air Flow Sensor that is either disconnected or gone bad. Being fuel injected, I would think the Strom has one, too, or something equivalent. But on two different vehicles I have had where the MAF went bad, that is exactly how it behaved.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I don't have a suggestion, but my money is not on bad fuel. That's too sudden and drastic for a fuel problem to make sense. Sumpin's broken.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
A 2011 is under warranty. Think about using it.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Bad gas. Drained it. Filled with good. Ran for a few. Revved it. No prob.
It was premium, but off brand. I'll stick with bigger brand gas from now on.
Thanks, all!

·
Living the Stereotype
11,544 Posts
Glad it worked.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
I'm glad it worked too, but "bad gas" is just not doing it for me. I'd be more willing to believe there was something clogging the fuel filter that you may have flushed off when you drained it, an intermittent sensor problem, or something else that you corrected (unwittingly, perhaps).

Look, if they're selling fuel that's so contaminated that it disabled your vehicle, you wouldn't be the only one, right? That's a pretty extreme problem.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Same kind of problem, here.

This has happened to me twice in the last couple of weeks with my K9/ABS Wee.

The first time, the bike had been sitting all day in the driveway on a relatively hot day (upper 80's, low 90's) and around 10pm that evening, after it had cooled to low 80's, upper 70's I was going to go for an evening ride. Bike started fine, idling at 1300 rpms. As I coasted down to the bottom of the driveway, in first gear the bike suddenly stalled. Now, in the street, it started right back up, idling fine. But as soon as I blip'd the throttle the engine would die. Start back up, give throttle slowly, it would die every time I got to about 2500 rpms. Took about a dozen starts and stalling before it suddenly was fine and I continued on my way with no problems during a ride of about 20 minutes. About a week later...

The second time was almost the same. The Wee sat in the driveway on a bit hotter of a day, upper 90's... that evening I decided to go for a ride around 10:30pm. I had filled the tank with fresh gas the day prior. I even opened the fuel cap to let off any "pressure" before starting the bike. Bike started fine, idled fine... stalled probably 20 times, anytime I would get to 2500 rpms. Nothing out of the ordinary on the gauges, no cryptic LED messages or anything. I thought I could hear the fuel pump more loudly than normal... running constantly, but I dunno if that was just my enhanced hearing and sensitivity from being a bit pissed at why it kept stalling. Finally, it just ran fine... by this time I was up to three bars on the temp gauge.

I didn't siphon out any gas or add any products to the fuel... haven't had a problem running the same gas for the last 4 or 5 days. I cannot get it to happen, on purpose.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
This has happened to me twice in the last couple of weeks with my K9/ABS Wee.
These do sound awfully similar. It smells like an electronics problem to me. Bad ECU? These two bikes are probably too new for a failed connector or something like that ...

I'm an amateur, so my opinion is worth the paper it's printed on, but if it were me, I'd go straight to a dealer without turning off the engine after this happened, and see if they can read a code off it.

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Also, 2500 RPM is very suspicious to me. GW, isn't that where the fuel mapping changes? Doesn't that suggest that the ECU might be wonky? Am I misremembering? :confused:

·
Registered
436 Posts
Hi TK ,
Hopefully you have fixed the problem , I got some dirty fuel a while back (900kms) it would stall on cold starts the first time , knock its head off on unleaded fuel ( that much i drained it and refilled with 98 ) plus other things , I took it to the dealer thinking it had a sick temp sender (WARRANTY) , cost me $130.00 :yikes: , Dirty fuel and Fuel filters are not covered under warranty !!!!:thumbdown: , The wee only had 1800kms on it when this happened the filter looked like it had done 18000kms.:furious:

·
Registered
518 Posts
Another thing. DON'T USE PREMIUM GAS!! The bike doesn't need it and you're far more likely to get bad premium than regular. Few cars these days use premium gas, and because of this, the premium gets older and more contaminated than regular gas. I used to have an Italian scooter (bad idea) that used premium, as most Italian scooters do, and the Vespa forums were full of "bad gas" stories because of old, stale,dirty, water-soaked premium fuel.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts