StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm on the cusp of buying a 2011 DL650. Some of the threads here have me wondering if the speedometers on these bikes are very accurate.

Can anyone clarify, especially as to the later end of the 1st generation? My old Virago's mechanical speedo is spot-on, so I'm scratching my head that a significantly newer bike would have an inaccurate speedometer.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
Generation doesn't matter much. Every one seems to be within 7-9% high. The odometer is more in the neighborhood of 2% high.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I must say that I find this crazy, in a disbelieving sort of way. Not that I doubt anyone. It's more that I can't believe something this basic would be that off.

·
Registered
105 Posts
They seem to do it on purpose, and it seems to vary by market. No idea why.

Lots of talk about this on an Africa Twin forum. The US bikes are spot on. Exact speedo accuracy vs a GPS. Other markets, they read 6-10% high depending on where the bike was sold.

Rob

·
Registered
324 Posts
61 indicated = 55 on GPS on my 2013. Stock 15t to 16t will help if you want to relax engine during cruise and are willing to give up a little 1st gear grunt. You would think they would be reading tone wheel for ABS vs. counter shaft rpm wouldn't you? Not all bikes/markets have ABS I guess. Or maybe I am not a motorcycle engineer and am just speculating on best way to determine speed of a motorcycle. There are speedo correcting devices available.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess what makes me laugh the most is my previous observation: my old Virago speedo is spot-on according to GPS and the radar "your speed is" devices around town. Go figure.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Just checked my 2017 Wee with my Zumo. It is out exactly 5% across the range - 95kph actual on 100kph indicated (or 57mph on 60 indicated).

Dave

·
Administrator
13,203 Posts
Even more bizarre is the claim the odometer is accurate. I have not verified that personally.

kfh
Why is that bizarre? Also do you feel people are lying about it?

..Tom

·
Registered
26 Posts
On my 2011 DL650A my speedo at reads 49-50mph when my GPS tells me I am doing 55mph. At 65mph on the speedo, GPS tells me I am actually 60mph. I just fudge it to about 5 or 6mph slower than the speedo says...

Yeah, its is stupid that Suzuki can't get it more accurate than that. It is by the wire no less, so just a calculation.

Rmpl

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
It's to a great extent a legal situation. The law in most places says the speed reading can fall between 0-10% high and there are stiff penalties for reading low. With all the tire sizes out there with most of the ones that can be spooned on making the diameter lower, I'd say Suzuki is deliberately erring on the safe side. Of course, it doesn't hurt when writers are reporting 0-60 or 1/4 mile terminal speeds using the stock instruments, especially when other manufacturers are doing the same thing.

Anyone deciding Suzuki is unable to provide accurate speedos isn't using all the information.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It's to a great extent a legal situation. The law in most places says the speed reading can fall between 0-10% high and there are stiff penalties for reading low. With all the tire sizes out there with most of the ones that can be spooned on making the diameter lower, I'd say Suzuki is deliberately erring on the safe side. Of course, it doesn't hurt when writers are reporting 0-60 or 1/4 mile terminal speeds using the stock instruments, especially when other manufacturers are doing the same thing.

Anyone deciding Suzuki is unable to provide accurate speedos isn't using all the information.
The last point is what I find crazy. These manufacturers absolutely know how to make accurate speedometers.

The legal environment is perhaps the only thing that makes any logical sense, but I question even that. It's always better to be accurate than to misstate the reality in hopes of deceiving. They should at least provide a calibration mechanism to adjust the reading to be accurate after delivery.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Why is that bizarre? Also do you feel people are lying about it?

..Tom
seems like the speedometer and odometer would be using the same distance input, so it is hard to understand why if one is inaccurate why is the other accurate? I have heard that odometer accuracy is regulated. Perhaps speedo accuracy not so much. I am going to check the odo before I replace my front sprocket.

k

·
Registered
324 Posts
I don't think people are lying but who really checks? Speedo with GPS staring at you is pretty easy check. It would take maybe 5 seconds of effort to check odo. Me personally really am kind of indifferent to the whole thing. The OP asked about accuracy of the speedo. Out of the box, not so much. Now if I replace my squared off rear tire the accuracy should improve. Off to the garage!

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Have owned over 30 motorcycles and six were Harleys. They were the only ones spot on. My new 82 Virago that but for the so bad starter after 30,000 was a real good bike. Like most my japan bikes it showed around 75 at 70. My 011 Vstrom is about the same. Seems the smaller they are the more they lie.>:)Had the same little Super 90 Honda three times by taking it back in on trade for a bigger bike sale.At 65mph shown it was doing 50! A XL100 Honda showed 70 at 60. Of late models rode the Suzuki 650 Burgman sure lies a lot on big end but still fast for a 650.
You can tell all your friends how fast it is but as we x drag racers say take it to the strip..When the green light drops the B.S. stops.:grin2:

·
Administrator
13,203 Posts
seems like the speedometer and odometer would be using the same distance input, so it is hard to understand why if one is inaccurate why is the other accurate? I have heard that odometer accuracy is regulated. Perhaps speedo accuracy not so much. I am going to check the odo before I replace my front sprocket.

k
Odo tends to be off about 2%, but that wil vary with tire wear as well.

It is just the conversion factor that has been used after getting input on wheel/sprocket rotation. They decided to display 8% optimistic on the speedo, and almost right-on for the Odo.

(OCD geek warning about what follows below: )

BTW on Stroms with digital odometer displays that can be hanged from km to miles and back you will find that Suzuki did not use the proper conversion factor. instead of using one Kilometer equals 0.621371192 miles they use one km equals 0.625 miles. Not a big deal but if you ride in the USA and Canada. For example if you record your mileage you will start noticing the difference as mileage accumulates and you cross borders. I suspect it's a programming shortcut someone made.

..Tom

1 - 20 of 29 Posts