StromTrooper banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home from work I noticed the rear break on my 2007 Wee was giving me less and less resistance until it finally stopped resisting my foot at all. I used the front brake for the rest of the 10 min trip home.

Once in the the driveway I checked the back tire -- the brake line had somehow come loose and was pressed up against the tire, to the point that it had worn away at the point of contact and had coated the right side of the tire wall with brake fluid.

I have three questions:

• The brake line obviously needs to be replaced, is this something I should attempt myself (this would be my first motorcycle surgery) or something best left to the pros?
  • How did this come loose? Is there a clasp, wire, bolt, anything that should have kept the brake line in place and not rubbing up against the tire? It looks like there is a guide or channel along the swingarm the line should sit in, but i can easily move the brake line in and out of it without much trouble.
  • Did I do something that could have caused this to happen? I was practicing low speed maneuvers earlier in the day which involved a fair amount of rear brake, but nothing excessive.
Thanks for any advice!

Geoff

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Just did a caliper rebuild and line replacement this past weekend.

I have three questions:

• The brake line obviously needs to be replaced, is this something I should attempt myself (this would be my first motorcycle surgery) or something best left to the pros?
Piece of cake with basic tools, a service manual (not entirely necessary, but highly desirable), and due care.

• How did this come loose? Is there a clasp, wire, bolt, anything that should have kept the brake line in place and not rubbing up against the tire? It looks like there is a guide or channel along the swingarm the line should sit in, but i can easily move the brake line in and out of it without much trouble.
There are two plastic clips on the swing arm that hold the line in place. The rearmost of mine was white. The front one black.

• Did I do something that could have caused this to happen? I was practicing low speed maneuvers earlier in the day which involved a fair amount of rear brake, but nothing excessive.
I doubt it. It took a fair amount of effort to get the stock line free. Perhaps it was dislodged during dealer service.

·
Registered
15,408 Posts
You don't mention the year of your bike. I have an 04 wee with 31K miles and the lines seem secure.
Seems I've seen something similar to this before here.
Without ABS, R&R would be easy.

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
Brake fluid can be nasty. It will remove paint--do your best to avoid getting it on paint and if you drip some, wipe it off promptly.

FROM A BRAKE FLUID MSDS:
4.FIRST AID MEASURES
4.1 Inhalation
Remove to fresh air. If recovery is not rapid, seek medical attention.
4.2 Skin Contact
Remove contaminated clothing. Wash affected skin with soap and water.If irritation persists seek medical attention.
4.3 Eye Contact
Flush eye with water for at least 10 mins. If irritation persists seek medical attention.
4.4 Ingestion
Obtain medical advice immediately.If patient is fully conscious,wash out mouth with water and give plenty of water to drink.Induce vomiting only under medical supervision.

Check with the vendors including svracingparts.com about a stainless braid brake hose. They're prettier and might cost less than a stock new hose.

Use wrenches that fit the ends just right. A rounded-off end fitting makes the job get really long.... A tubing wrench (a.k.a. flare nut wrench) that makes contact on five of the six sides of the hex can be well worth its cost.

Buy a bottle of new, sealed DOT4 brake fluid, any brand. You might as well flush and renew the fluid in the fronts while you're at it. Don't let the front master cylinder go dry--it is really, really tedious to bleed all the air out (tip, strap the brake lever down overnight to help bleed the front master cylinder if you get air in it). I haven't drained and refilled the rear master cylinder, so I don't know how much of a job it is to bleed that.

·
$tromtrooper
2,378 Posts
Yes, yes, yes. Be careful with the brake fluid. It will also dissolve plastic handles on screwdrivers if not cleaned off. :headbang: I spilled a good bit on the swing arm. Wiped it off immediately and washed the area thoroughly with soap and water as soon as the job was done.

Don't know anything about ABS models.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just did a caliper rebuild and line replacement this past weekend.
Out of curiosity, which brand/model of brake line did you use as the replacement?

Piece of cake with basic tools, a service manual (not entirely necessary, but highly desirable), and due care.
Per the videos I've been viewing, the only think I think I'm missing is the device to do the bleeding. There seem to be a number of options, some of them cheaper than others. Any recommendations?

There are two plastic clips on the swing arm that hold the line in place. The rearmost of mine was white. The front one black.
Both of these are there, I think you're referring to items #28 and #29 in this picture:

Be careful with the brake fluid. It will also dissolve plastic handles on screwdrivers if not cleaned off. I spilled a good bit on the swing arm. Wiped it off immediately and washed the area thoroughly with soap and water as soon as the job was done.
Will do!

Thanks for the advice all!

·
Registered
7,442 Posts
For bleeding, all you need at minimum is a piece of plastic tubing the right size to fit snugly over the knob-end on the bleed nipple on the caliper. Put the tubing in place, press the pedal, loosen the nipple, the pedal goes down, tighten the nipple, let the pedal up, check that the master cylinder reservoir isn't dry, repeat until no more air bubbles show. Bleed into a waste container, then discard the old brake fluid according to your local toxic waste center instructions. To bleed air from the master cylinder, wrap rags around the fitting with banjo bolt #26, press on the pedal, crack loose #26, bleed out fluid & air bubbles, tighten 26, check the fluid level, repeat, repeat, repeat again & again & again until it is solid fluid - no air. If the pedal is still spongy, invent a way to hold the pedal down overnight to let the air bubble up into the air space in the reservoir.

Stromtrooper friend Blair at svracingparts.com has the rear line for $50.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stromtrooper friend Blair at svracingparts.com has the rear line for $50.
I ordered a new rear brake line from Blair, thanks for the recommendation!

After more examination, I think I'm suffering from the same problem as is described in this thread:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650-specific-wee-strom/26945-rear-brake-issue.html

Can somebody confirm that the rear caliper bracket should NOT look like this:

I'm pretty sure the channel in the caliper bracket (blue arrow) is supposed to fit over the raised part of the swing arm (green arrow), right?

Thanks!

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,104 Posts
I'm pretty sure the channel in the caliper bracket (blue arrow) is supposed to fit over the raised part of the swing arm (green arrow), right?
Right.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts