StromTrooper banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at late model/low mileage 650's.

- Is there that much difference with the 2012+ models?
- Cosmetics aside, what are the differences/improvements over the previous generation?

·
Registered
4,072 Posts
Better handling, less prone to lying down, more torque at low RPM, better brakes, seat is better.

It's better, but if you can get a killer deal on the older model, go for it.

Pete

·
Official Stromtrooper.com Sponsor
5,438 Posts
I would pay quite a bit more for the 2012 and up. I think the looks are better (subjective of course) but the mechanical differences keep stacking up in favor of the 2012 and up. Simple stuff like how much better the stock exhaust sounds and looks, the MUCH smoother power delivery along with better midrange power. Guage package is really good on the new bikes. ABS is standard. While the suspension seems a bit better on the latest version the front forks still need work. Simple stuff like fit and finish is much better on the later style. Not having the oil cooler to clean around, etc.

Really comes down to price. You can make the first gen bikes 98% as good as the late bikes for real world riding.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I had been leaning towards the 2012+ but,
although the Suzuki ads I had seen on the 2012's
covered some of these items,
they were unconvincing, and seemed a bit vague.
(Also, I keep coming across some older generation models
which are really well equipped, and very tempting.)

Put into perspective, the cost differential,
calculated over the life of the bike,
seems well worth it (to me).

So the older models are off the short list.

Thanks all, for the specific info ! ! !

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I have owned an '07 and now an '09 ABS Wee. I have never ridden a '12 or newer one, and perhaps that is a good thing, as I'd probably have to override my wife's edict that I don't need a new bike. In that regard, I'd have to say that I don't miss what I've never experienced, and I am completely satisfied with my '09. I'd say that unless you absolutely want/need the updated gauge set and different styling, a great deal on a pre-2012 model shouldn't be overlooked.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is there a difference in reliability? I see its basicly the same powertrain with some tweaks but sometimes there are just some things you need to be mindful of. Hope I'm not threadjacking just adding to the original question.

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,103 Posts
I don't see any difference in reliability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts