StromTrooper banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I presume a good number of Strom riders have asked themselves this question.
Howsome-ever Slap me with some opinions Eh?
Because I have money down on a DL650

I currently ride a strong sport-touring machine (of German design), so my question is...

Will I be happy with the get-up-and-go the DL650 has?
Or, will my 6 foot 170 pound body be happier on the 1000? :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
As you can imagine, that subject is well chronicled on this board. Do some searching and you will find out more than you'd ever want to hear. As one of the owners that has owned both, it is my opinion that if you are doing touring, you will appreciate the lower revving motor and extra grunt of the Vee.

The Wee at 63 MPH is turning 5000 RPM. Vee about 3600. Fuel mileage is 50 v 40. The Vee definetly feels like a bigger bike even though the scale says it really isn't.

You can't lose either way.

Rod
07 Vee
Riverview, FL

·
Administrator
17,100 Posts
Either one would suit you fine......maybe you should have test rode or asked this question "before" you put money down.;)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I asked this question just a few days ago. Lots of good perspective here. If you get it all sorted out, let me know!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a gotta have sorta thing

Either one would suit you fine......maybe you should have test rode or asked this question "before" you put money down.;)
Tough to get a test ride in January in Minnesnowta.

But it was a Saturday afternoon and the January temps. had climbed to almost the freezing temp of water. Feeling a stiring in the knee-dragin', counter steering, balance section of my small but adequate brain... I found myself in the local motorcycle sales room. (Honestly, I just went to buy a new set of Z6s')
I sat on a nice used Uley, then I saw it ... What I thought must be a mistake on the price tag of a machine that looked perfect.
Not too much fairing, but enough,
2 cylinder midsized motor,
multi purpose tires,
Good ground clearance, but not too high.
When I sat on it the fat lady started singing. The rest, as they say, is History.
And yes, that is how most of my motorcycles have come into my life.

Just thought I would do some after the fact research, most of which has been pleasing thus far.

Thanks folks :-D

·
$Whatever$
1,599 Posts
I went in to buy a 650 after seeing one with skidplates and knobbies.......... But my dealer only had two 1000s. I really dug the twice pipes. I'm 250, 6.2 so the DLK was an easy choice.

Aaah that new bike smell................;-]

·
Registered
14 Posts
a 650 is a 650 that is a 650. IOW's its a little weak but, with a practice, you can get used to it. g-luck with which ever bike you choose and ride safe. :)

·
Premium Member
569 Posts
You know in your gut the answer... All I am gonna say is you never go from a 1000 to the 650...

you can have the real deal or the cheapie .5 version...

YMMV

·
FORUM GODFATHER.....R.I.P. PAT
38,048 Posts
I went from an 1100 and a 900 to a 650. I couldn't be happier. You can't say "YOU NEVER go from a 1000 to the 650" then say YMMV. Allow people their preferences. You have yours and Brendan and I have ours. ;)

·
Living the Stereotype
11,543 Posts
I presume a good number of Strom riders have asked themselves this question.
Howsome-ever Slap me with some opinions Eh?
Because I have money down on a DL650

I currently ride a strong sport-touring machine (of German design), so my question is...

Will I be happy with the get-up-and-go the DL650 has?
Or, will my 6 foot 170 pound body be happier on the 1000? :rolleyes:
How do you plan to use the new bike?
Do you plan to replace the current bike or to compliment it?
Is ABS a factor?

More info would slightly reduce the frustratingly opinionated partisan infighting that this question inevitably provokes.

Perhaps you can test ride each before you take delivery.

Those who have owned, or at least extensively ridden each model probably have the most useful insight.

Based on my own informal survey of other contentious threads on this forum, I think that some of the more northern members are getting a little cranky this winter. So you may consider geographic region when evaluating responses.

Enjoy.

·
Registered
163 Posts
6' is not too tall and 170lbs is not too heavy.

I am 5'10" and 156lbs. The 650 does not know I am on it. My wife weighs less than I. When we are both on the bike, it goes fine.

I cannot comment on a 1000. I have never ridden one. However, I can ride all day at 130 - 140 kmh indicated no fuss, no worries and still get about 60 - 65 mi/gal (CDN).

Like most people will tell you. You cannot go wrong. Get the bike you want.

Blessings,

Christopher.

·
Registered
218 Posts
If you commute daily gas milage will be better on the 650,If your a big boy with a big woman who likes to pillian along get the 1000.

Or do what the smart money is doing;get one of each for about the price of a stripped down European brand.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you plan to use the new bike?
Do you plan to replace the current bike or to compliment it?
Is ABS a factor? QUOTE]

Pillion is out of the question for a while at least. My wife is beyond the ability to ride with ALS and I have no plans on picking up another stray as yet.

I want to zoom along the slab at 80 then turn off and take any godforsaken dirt road that strikes my fancy. And, I wanted something significantly lighter than my "asphalt eating machine"to do this with.

I plan on keeping my R1150RS BMW sport touring machine.
But, I'm not soo stuck on the brand that I will turn up my nose at another good machine. And, the dollar per 'fun nugget' rate seems a bargain on this particular "WEE".

I have never actually felt my ABS engage. But, I believe that the concious knowledge that I have it has helped me to more wisely and effectively employ front brake use. Also, I still ride around on my old '81 Honda chopper with drum brakes . I think I can handle the cross over.

Again thanks all Ya'll:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I rode both the DL1000 and DL650 before settling on the DL650. Reason for me was simple, the DL1000 broke loose real easy on gravel/dirt roads and it would easily lift the front end in 2nd gear on pavement. The DL650 allows me more control on either poor or good roads. As far as acceleration - no comparison. However, I'm inclined to shift down a couple of gears to pass on the DL650 which is more than adequate. Up to about 80 mph (my USUAL max), both are acceptable. Biggest bonus is the extra $2K I can use for farkles!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Just got back from my first real road trip on the 650, rode it down to Key West this past weekend. I can't compare the 1,000 because I haven't ridden that one. I will say that the comfort is there on the Wee and the power isn't bad either. I ran between 80 and 90 for about an hour solid and it was just fine.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Okay, I am one of the "crazy" people who switched from the 1000 to the 650. While I am a power junkie which is the reason I went for the 1000 in the first place, I am not regretting my decision to switch to the 650 one bit. It is smoother, likes to be revved which is quite entertaining (especially once you remove the air intake snorkel, it sounds pretty close to a Ducati I used to ride), handles as if it much lighter than the difference would lead you to believe, gets better mileage, and still moves out when you give it the poke. Only once have I really wished for the 1000's power again. The 1000 is quite thrilling with its mountain of torque, but the 650 is quite the sprightly "little" motor. Having the Scorpion pipe and removing the snorkel helps a lot, IMHO as I think sound is 1/3 the perception of its power. I thought it would be no-good 2-up but I took my ex on a ride and we had no problem blasting away from cages up a steep on-ramp. FWIW, combined we were probably about 310-320lbs.

If you are planning on extensively riding 2-up, I might be inclined to go for the 1000 if I was doing a lot of interstate riding or pulling 8,000-10,000 foot passes, but for most chores the 650 is more than adequate. What I enjoy most over the 1000 is that it is even smoother, encourages you to "wring its neck," though you don't have to, and biggest for me, it changes direction much quicker. It's not that the 650 necessarily handles better, but the 650 is more "flickable." And off-road, no contest: the 650 wins. The feels heavier and breaks loose any chance it gets. Mind you, neither is a very good off-road bike, that is why I have a KLR.

Also, for the doubters, I had my 1000 for over 2 years and it was perfectly tuned (TB-sychs, custom-mapped PCIII, Two Brothers CF pipes, secondaries removed) and I put quite a few miles on it. It was a scorcher and looked great in the dark blue, but the 650 really did win me over. Either way they are both great bikes. Good luck.:cool:

P.S. I would absolutely go for the 650 ABS if I had the funds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Final drive sprocket change?

Okay, I am one of the "crazy" people who switched from the 1000 to the 650.
What I enjoy most over the 1000 is that it is even smoother, encourages you to "wring its neck,"

P.S. I would absolutely go for the 650 ABS if I had the funds.
Yes indeedy! I rode the 650 home from the dealership on Saturday, (which was a mini-adventure in it's self) (February 2nd in Minnesota).
I was amazed at how fast I found myself doing 80, 5,000 RPM and soooo smooooth. WOW! After riding my 1150RS (to the dealership for new Z6s) I had mentaly prepared myself for a big power letdown. 2 tires touching the road is about the only thing these 2 bikes have in common. What a completely different feel. It's like comparing apples and oranges... they're both kinda round but significantly different!

I do plan on doing some freeway trips, and have heard that I can change a final drive sprocket. Can any one give me some info on this?

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
You know in your gut the answer... All I am gonna say is you never go from a 1000 to the 650...

you can have the real deal or the cheapie .5 version...

YMMV
Spoken like someone that truly doesn't know.

I've had both a 1000 and a 650. I had a 03 1000 and I have a 07 650. I've also had a 2000 SV650 and an 04 GSXR1000.

Both the 1k and the 650 are good bikes. Their ergos are the same (except for the seat - the 1k has a slightly taller seat). The 1000 definitely has some oomph to it. It's no GSXR but it'll get up and go. The 650 will also get up and go but is definitely no 1000. They are both fairly flickable with the 650 being a little more so. There is strong aftermarket support for both. The 1k responds well to a Power Commander while the 650 doesn't. There's not much power corked up in the 650 while there is with a 1000. The brakes on both leave little to be desired especially after riding a bike with radial mount brakes. This is my biggest complaint on either bike. The 1000 has a better front suspension with its cartridge forks. I plan on putting stiffer springs and emulators in my 650 like I did on my SV. The 650 is definitely the better bang for the buck. The 1000 is usually around $2k more than the 650.

Do I miss the power of the 1000? Sometimes but only when I'm riding with my sportbike buddies. The rest of the time, whether I'm commuting or going on a longish trip, I'm glad I've got the 650. The range on the 650 is superior to the 1000 since the 650 gets better gas mileage. I think I average around 38 on the 1k and I get about 50 on the 650.

So, it all depends on what you're looking for in a bike. I bought my 650, threw on a DL tall seat and haven't looked back. They're both great bikes. Those that dog the 650 are usually the ignorant ones. I was happy with my 03 1k and I'm very happy with my 07 650.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Yes indeedy! I rode the 650 home from the dealership on Saturday, (which was a mini-adventure in it's self) (February 2nd in Minnesota).
I was amazed at how fast I found myself doing 80, 5,000 RPM and soooo smooooth. WOW! After riding my 1150RS (to the dealership for new Z6s) I had mentaly prepared myself for a big power letdown. 2 tires touching the road is about the only thing these 2 bikes have in common. What a completely different feel. It's like comparing apples and oranges... they're both kinda round but significantly different!

I do plan on doing some freeway trips, and have heard that I can change a final drive sprocket. Can any one give me some info on this?
Change to a 16T front sprocket to save around 500RPM at freeway speeds (70MPH). Its also a 3-4MPG boost if I recall correctly. I plan on combining mine with a scorpion aftermarket exhaust in hopes of minimizing loss of low end (I spend a lot of time off the pavement as well).

-GW

·
Registered
165 Posts
Spoken like someone that truly doesn't know.

I've had both a 1000 and a 650. I had a 03 1000 and I have a 07 650. I've also had a 2000 SV650 and an 04 GSXR1000.

Both the 1k and the 650 are good bikes. Their ergos are the same (except for the seat - the 1k has a slightly taller seat). The 1000 definitely has some oomph to it. It's no GSXR but it'll get up and go. The 650 will also get up and go but is definitely no 1000. They are both fairly flickable with the 650 being a little more so. There is strong aftermarket support for both. The 1k responds well to a Power Commander while the 650 doesn't. There's not much power corked up in the 650 while there is with a 1000. The brakes on both leave little to be desired especially after riding a bike with radial mount brakes. This is my biggest complaint on either bike. The 1000 has a better front suspension with its cartridge forks. I plan on putting stiffer springs and emulators in my 650 like I did on my SV. The 650 is definitely the better bang for the buck. The 1000 is usually around $2k more than the 650.

Do I miss the power of the 1000? Sometimes but only when I'm riding with my sportbike buddies. The rest of the time, whether I'm commuting or going on a longish trip, I'm glad I've got the 650. The range on the 650 is superior to the 1000 since the 650 gets better gas mileage. I think I average around 38 on the 1k and I get about 50 on the 650.

So, it all depends on what you're looking for in a bike. I bought my 650, threw on a DL tall seat and haven't looked back. They're both great bikes. Those that dog the 650 are usually the ignorant ones. I was happy with my 03 1k and I'm very happy with my 07 650.
You pretty much nailed my sentiments exactly. Wish it had better brakes and better suspension. The 1000 did feel a bit more "planted" in the front end on the freeway. I probably will be going to emulators and stiffer springs as well. I do miss the power of the 1000 when I'm just trying to blast by people like they're standing still and for the shits and giggles, but I'm pretty satisfied with the power of the 650. With the combination of the Power Commander, secondaries removed and Two Brothers pipes my 1000 was very strong. Though I have a Scorpion on the 650, I don't really feel a difference between the stock pipe. The sound combined with the improvement from removing the snorkel helps a lot with the perception of power. It's not loud at all, just a nice agressive but mellow snarl when you get on it. Mileage-wise I must say, my 1000 was pretty darn good. I managed 58MPG average on one freeway trip, but overall managed between 45-51MPG. Maybe it was the way I mapped the PCIII? Either way, I still average 5-10MPG better on the 650.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts