StromTrooper banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
If I get back out to Utah will riding the V-Strom on the salt flats be hazzardous to it's finish? Is it advisable to rinse the bike ASAP?

Actually I should ask: can Joe Average just show up somewhere out there and actually ride the salt flats at breakneck speed?

Do you have to pay, like an amusement park? ( It would be amusing to see a Wee out there.):mrgreen:

dave

·
Registered
16,003 Posts
I'm sure you have to sign in with the course authorities. When in the area I met folks at the motels that had run the course and had not rinsed off the salts to show they had been there. Badge of Honor!
These guys were trailering their vehicles back to the midwest and boasting all the way!

·
Registered
5,458 Posts
Once it starts to rain you will need a swamp buggy to ride the salt flats. The speed trials are conducted during the period when the salt surface is dry enough to be suitable, and that is not for more than a few weeks. But you can register and ride what ya' brung during speed week as long as it passes a safety inspection.

However, for most of the year you can ride on the Black Rock desert surface where the Brit guy set the land speed record in his jet-powered car. I don't know if BLM has any regulations or enforcement, but I kind of doubt it.

Best to avoid the area during Burning Man, when there will be a large official presence.

And don't fall -- they probably won't find your bleached bones for some time.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Ditto that on the black rock desert.

And bring water. There are rumored to be springs somewhere but they are probably poisoned with arsenic, anthrax or some other poison that naturally exists in the ground around that area.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Blackrock (North of Reno - google Gerlach,NV) is in fact regulated by the BLM, but the playa is open to the public.
Best access is summer for obvious reasons and there are a number of hot springs surrounding the area, some too hot but others are "just right".

·
Registered
722 Posts
Is anyone going to mention that the V-strom at top speed can be a bit twitchy? Not meant as a discouragement, but a informational sort of thing.

·
Premium Member
4,413 Posts
Didn't get enough salt build up to worry.

Hit just over 105 mph (by my GPS) and the bike started to wallow. It's pretty lonely out there and falling off could be bad so I very gently backed out of the throttle.

Spectacular place though.

·
Registered
16,003 Posts
and the bike started to wallow

Are you suggesting that with the top box and the panniers we shouldn't try for WFO?
My fully loaded '04 Wee was stable at just shy of the ton, on a closed course, of course!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I don't use side cases. Never had a wobble with a Givi trunk in 7 years, with the following tires: Trailwings, D706's, Anakees, Road Attacks, ME880's, Battlewings, 705's.
YMMV.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I live in Utah SLC you can ride on the salt any time you want, But not track. There is a fee during time trials.
I've riden on ths salt with 2 " of watter on it and a friend has pictures with 6" on it driving a truck cleaning after the taping of The Worlds Fastest Indian, still hard!
Take a friend there are soft spots 3 to 20 feet across. If you hit one at 60 mph you slow to 10 fast.
If you stop you’ll be stuck up to the skid plate and need help to get out. There few on the west side but more on the east side.
On another note: I went 125 on a wee with no worries on the street .

A group of us use to get to gather and ride from Knoles to Wendover on the salt. Stay the night and ride the Poney Express trail back. Great fun.
Don’t fall down at speed its like sliding on 10 git sand paper.:confused:

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
COOL PHOTO Heavy! Now thats what I'm talking about. Beautiful. Is the white sand a killer on your eyes without sunglasses? ( I get squinters headaches easily).

T-ville Trooper:
How long is that Knowls to Wendover ride? All salt?

And the Pony Express ride back,... whats the terrain that way?

Lastly, were these rides done on a V-strom or a dirtbike?

Thanks man, Dave

·
Registered
808 Posts
Crap, my Wee maxed out at about 105-106 on the GPS, fully loaded, on pavement. And it didn't feel too confidence inspiring at that speed either.

My buddy just got back from Bonneville a few weeks ago. His scooter had a brake caliper get destroyed by salt. Corroded all to hell already. Has to buy a new caliper. And he took care to rinse the bike EVERY DAY he was out there, and clean it well upon arriving home.

Wash everything, NOW.

·
Registered
22,435 Posts
Crap, my Wee maxed out at about 105-106 on the GPS, fully loaded, on pavement. And it didn't feel too confidence inspiring at that speed either.

My buddy just got back from Bonneville a few weeks ago. His scooter had a brake caliper get destroyed by salt. Corroded all to hell already. Has to buy a new caliper. And he took care to rinse the bike EVERY DAY he was out there, and clean it well upon arriving home.

Wash everything, NOW.
every time in winter when it gets sloopy, I go thru a can of Brakleen after a ride.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
766 Posts

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Bower100
Noles to Windover is about 45miles. It followes I80.
Noles is 75mi. from SLC.
The poney trail 300 miles long and followes the southern edge of the salt flats.
Take some extra fuel.
Fuel in one spot on that road and you will never know when it is open.
You may have to wate a day or two till it opens.
There is another road around the north end of the flats and the lake.
Thats a good ride, the club is planning a ride one day north end one day back on the south.
Its not sand out there it's 100% salt, bring some pepper....

·
Registered
654 Posts

been there done that tho no t shirt.

We had 4 bikes that day. right att he stop at the end of the flats heading west. There is a stations there with a garden hose for washing off your shoes of salt. We roled the bikes up there and washed the salt off. It was late July and it was sticky then. We where 95% done when some guy who most likelay ran the site came over and told us we could no do that there. O well 10 second later we where done and moved on all nice and salt free. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts