StromTrooper banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To be honest I was looking to replace my 08 yellow 650 with 09 Concours 1400. I test drove one ,the new and improved one 2012 and I'm glad I did because now I appreciate my bike more than ever before. I loved power and looks of Concours but Wee rides so much easier, riding position is more upright and I can actually see everything behind me. My wee is not perfect - but for now its all I need and want :hurray:.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Interesting, I'm in the opposite camp. I have a Honda ST1300 I originally thought I'd replace it by downsizing to a DL650, so I picked up an 07, and as much as I think it's a fine $4k bike, it's in no way in the same league as the ST or the Connie. I avoid comparing them when asked to, they are different monsters altogether. It's like saying what's a better vehicle, a Lexus or a Jeep Wrangler? After having both bikes for a little while, I can't part with the 1300. I respect that the 650 is a great little bike and I'll keep it for beating around town and maybe a few fire road runs, but when I want to ride in comfort, it's the big beast for me.

One thing you will find with the ST or the Connie, the amount of aftermarket accessories, or farkles, as they call them, is minimal compared to the V-strom. It's fun to add to a bike, but when it's a necessity to make the bike bearable (ahem, madstad/windshield, etc.), you have to take that into the cost consideration. When all is said and done, they really aren't that far apart in cost as you would be led to believe looking at MSRP figures.

To each their own, not trying to punish the Suzuki, as I'm an owner, too, but do feel the need to defend my beloved sport touring genre from the uninitiated. See you on the road.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I think you have posted a balanced and considered report. Long ago I decided not to rush into debates on "which is the best" theme, as most often it is a matter of things being "different" not "better" or "best". I have owned several bikes which in my opinion tour better than the Wee but that is not to say they are better bikes, as each has good and not so good aspects.
When it comes to value for money the Wee would have to be a winner but that alone doesn't make it the "best" bike. But I'm happy with mine.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Had a 09 Suzuki dl650,went crazy and thought bigger would be better, bought a 09 Kawasaki Concours 14. I found it boring and traded it for an 11 Suzuki dl650, now I'm having fun again, after all that's what motorcycling is about. I'll leave the backhanded insults to Jimbeauxk.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did not intend to start debate on which one is better but rather wee's strong points that matter to me that make me apprecite this bike more after riding a different bike. Concours is a very fine bike and I would not mind to have one in my garage but at this moment Wee suits me better.
I was looking to hear form other members that had similar experience with bikes they test rode and decided to keep their wee's.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I was looking at the Concours when I bought the Wee, still wish I had rode the Concours.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I own both the wee and the ST1300. Different bikes. I'm glad I have both. Both tour equally well. The ST13 of course has more power and is smoother and has better weather protection, but the wee is lighter, more agile, gets better fuel mileage (has the same range as the ST13) and is far more dirt road friendly. Both pack a lot. Both shift around in dirty air on the interstate. Both required windshield tuning to reduce buffetting. Both required heated grips added.

Which one do I ride more? For commuting, the wee wins hands-down. So I ride the wee every day. I've ridden the ST13 across America in 5 days. That would probably be asking too much of the wee. But I'd do it in 8 or 10 days on the wee, and stop to smell the roses along the way. The wee OEM top bag can carry more weigh too, due to the sturdier top rack.

The bonus is that when my wife rides, she can ride the wee. She would never touch the ST13 due to it being at least 150 lbs heavier than the wee.

The wee wins for being more versatile. The ST13 has longer legs and a great motor. As a cheap man's adventure touring bike, the wee has the advantage. For sport touring, the ST13 wins. I imagine the Conny is similar.

·
Registered
102 Posts
ST1300

I had an ST bought new in 04. Couldn't make it comfortable, to cramped. And the wobble above 90 was scary. The 1000 Strom is better for me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Had a 09 Suzuki dl650,went crazy and thought bigger would be better, bought a 09 Kawasaki Concours 14. I found it boring and traded it for an 11 Suzuki dl650, now I'm having fun again, after all that's what motorcycling is about. I'll leave the backhanded insults to Jimbeauxk.
Nice, Tao.

Chris, glad you like your V-strom. I like mine too. No debates there, just in case somebody thinks I'm throwing more backhanded insults around.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I went from an 05' FJR to my 07' Wee and I couldn't be happier. The FJR was probably a better long distance tourer, but 90% of my riding is around town commuting and I love my Wee for it. It is way more comfortable and just as comfy for my wife. Just wish it had shaft drive:thumbup:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Somewhere along the line you need to think about comparing apples to apples. About the only thing a Concours has in common with a VStrom is two wheels.
Why not compare my Pathfinder to a Ford Mustang?

·
Registered
522 Posts
...The wee wins for being more versatile. The ST13 has longer legs and a great motor. As a cheap man's adventure touring bike, the wee has the advantage. For sport touring, the ST13 wins. I imagine the Conny is similar.
GlenT:

Couldn't agree more. Even though I traded my ST1300 for an FJR1300 (purely comfort thing for me) the analogy is absolutely accurate. My DL650 is an enormous amount of fun. But when I travel from one coast to the other I take the FJR, and before that the ST1300. I have ridden the new Concours also. Very much like the FJR and if I owned one ... it would be my ride for those multi-state east coast to west coast and back trips.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Somewhere along the line you need to think about comparing apples to apples. About the only thing a Concours has in common with a VStrom is two wheels.
Why not compare my Pathfinder to a Ford Mustang?
Why is it that people don't like thes e type of comparisons? Time and time again thes come up, why?
Because people get caught between what type of riding they wish to cater for. In some respect I prefer these comparisons as they help decide what you are giving up and visa versa.
If I sold my Wee I'd probably look at an FJR.

Ps. No offence intended just me 2c

·
Registered
55 Posts
I own a Goldwing GL1800 and a Wee. And no, there is no comparison because I don't really feel the need to compare them. One bike is more fun and has more "soul" while the other is second to none at gobbling up miles.
When I have to run into town, or to work, or any kind of errand, I take the Wee. When i feel I need a little "two wheel therapy session", I take the Wee. If I want to go on a multi-state road trip, I take the 'Wing.
I'm finding the 'Wing less and less needed, though.
If I had to sell one, I would sell the 'Wing...

·
Premium Member
728 Posts
Wow, I'm really surprised at the amount of riders that have dual machines, Wee's & sport tourers.
I also own a 08 Concours, along with my Wee
I have a Honda ST1300 I originally thought I'd replace it by downsizing to a DL650, so I picked up an 07, and as much as I think it's a fine $4k bike, it's in no way in the same league as the ST or the Connie.
they really aren't that far apart in cost as you would be led to believe looking at MSRP figures.
I actually paid less for my Connie, $7000 used, when it was fairly new and only had 1500 miles on it.

Had a 09 Suzuki dl650,went crazy and thought bigger would be better, bought a 09 Kawasaki Concours 14. I found it boring
If there's one thing my 08 Connie isn't, that's "boring". Man, that bike makes my 'ol 65 yr. heart pump hard.

I own both the wee and the ST1300. Different bikes. I'm glad I have both. Both tour equally well. The ST13 of course has more power and is smoother and has better weather protection, but the wee is lighter, more agile, gets better fuel mileage
Which one do I ride more? For commuting, the wee wins hands-down. So I ride the wee every day. I've ridden the ST13 across America in 5 days. That would probably be asking too much of the wee. But I'd do it in 8 or 10 days
The bonus is that when my wife rides, she can ride the wee. She would never touch the ST13 due to it being at least 150 lbs heavier than the wee.
The wee wins for being more versatile. great motor. As a cheap man's adventure touring bike, the wee has the advantage. For sport touring, the ST13 wins. I imagine the Conny is similar.
Great comparisons, much like my Connie and Wee.
I did a 7000 mile ride out west with my Connie last year. I'm gonna do even a longer ride on my new(11)Wee. The Connie is heavy, which after some 12hr. + days, really personified.
The Wee's chain drive will be a little disadvantage on my planned ride, but nothings perfect.
I went from an 05' FJR to my 07' Wee and I couldn't be happier. The FJR was probably a better long distance tourer, but 90% of my riding is around town commuting and I love my Wee for it. It is way more comfortable and just as comfy for my wife. Just wish it had shaft drive:thumbup:
Great points, if one bike is the situation.
I own a Goldwing GL1800 and a Wee. And no, there is no comparison because I don't really feel the need to compare them. One bike is more fun and has more "soul" while the other is second to none at gobbling up miles.
When I have to run into town, When i feel I need a little "two wheel therapy session", I take the Wee.

If I had to sell one, I would sell the 'Wing...
At this point of time, I couldn't decide which, I'd sell, but the Wee after 3200 miles, the last 3 months, keeps getting plus's.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts