StromTrooper banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently a mate asked me why the Wee Strom is not Lams approved. I have no idea so I'm asking the masses.

·
Premium Member
15,739 Posts
Presumably it's not on this list because it either doesn't meet the power to weight requirements or Suzuki decided not to submit it for approval. The LAMs version of the SV650 has a remapped ECU with a lower power output so I guess Suzuki have decided not to go down that route with the Wee Strom. It's tall top heavy nature doesn't make it a particularly good learner bike anyway.
Having said that the published list in Victoria at least is a joke and is so far out of date that it's laughable.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yeah , I remember reading that LAMS are limited to 150kW per tonne, and the V-Strom might be about 250kW/tonne ie, too powerful for LAMS.

Cheers, Jock

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
IIRC, they divide the stated crankshaft power by the combined "weight", which is the rider (totalling a nominal 90 Kg) plus the bike's weight.

What is the bike's weight?
Presumably they use the dry weight quoted by the manufacturer ~ a pity, since more bikes would qualify if manufacturers quoted only wet/kerb weights.
Unfortunately, "wet" or "dry", the Wee is too powerful to qualify.
Much too powerful . . . but you knew that already.

·
Registered
260 Posts
For LAMS is that the bike has to be:
- less than 660cc capacity
- power-to-weight ratio less than 150kW/tonne (based on MidNullabors comments, but think it's nominal rider+fluids of 80kg)
- AND must be on the list if over 250cc (specific 250cc bikes are excluded)

At least that's the sorta story in Qld, a large part of our LAMS was copied from NSW, Vic sounds similar. Not sure how good they are at keeping their lists harmonised though......

The 650 is too powerful for LAMS....

Cheers!

·
Registered
99 Posts
I also wondered this too. I just came to the conclusion that the DL650 is too powerful. I also have a DR650 which is LAMS approved, the V Strom leaves it for DEAD!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts